Off to visit another long-distance boat this weekend. - Page 2 - SailNet Community
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 38 Old 11-14-2008
Aquaholic
 
AjariBonten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Fingerlakes & Great Lakes New York
Posts: 1,139
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 13
 
I agree with Paul; if there is anything sailors should share, it's the idea that the trip is more important than the destination.

Best of luck in your boat hunt; I'm just a year or so behind you!

I got an Old Fat Boat
She's Slow But Handsome
Hard In The Chine, but Soft In The Transom
I Love Her Well, And She Must Love Me
But I think It's Only For My Money
.
..... Gordon Bok
AjariBonten is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 38 Old 11-14-2008 Thread Starter
Unpaid Intern
 
josrulz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Maryland
Posts: 992
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 14
 
Thanks to both AjariBonten and Cardiacpaul. I agree with you both. We're hoping to have a fun roadtrip tomorrow regardless. We've got road-trip supplies (various implements of music, etc., snacks, and all that), and we're ready to go!
-J
josrulz is offline  
post #13 of 38 Old 11-15-2008 Thread Starter
Unpaid Intern
 
josrulz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Maryland
Posts: 992
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 14
 
Well, we're back! The trip went very well, considering it was very wet all day on the road. During the time we looked at the boat, the weather wasn't bad at all, and we were able to be very thorough. The listing broker let us on board and told us to take our time (which is good because we planned on taking a lot of time, and did!).

So now we have a problem. We really like the boat. Why should that be a problem? Well, because it's on the hard, winterized, and blocked in by other boats in the yard now. This boat isn't going anywhere until spring.

So now we have to decide what to do: Make an offer now, and try to take into consideration no sea trial, but still do survey and possibly engine survey (or work out some sort of escrow situation, which I'm not a big fan of because it has its own drawbacks)? Or wait to make an offer until later in winter when we're closer to spring and can sea trial, but then risk someone else buying the boat before then?

Anyway, some of you probably know I've posted about this question before, except before it was hypothetical--no real boat. We don't necessarily need to go over that topic again, though anyone is welcome to provide thoughts on it. If the boat hadn't been in good condition, this wouldn't be an issue. Of course, that's not the case, so now we have a problem.
-J
josrulz is offline  
 
post #14 of 38 Old 11-16-2008
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: wherever
Posts: 5,607
Thanks: 8
Thanked 30 Times in 29 Posts
Rep Power: 16
     
Or a third option, put down a deposit on the purchase but do NOT close the deal until March. You can still get out of it at survey. I do not like the idea of buying with money held in escrow. You never know what you might find at the other half of the survey in the spring where you would rather walk away from the deal instead of getting some cash back for repairs.

Once you buy, you're stuck with it regardless of what shows up in the spring sea trial.
xort is offline  
post #15 of 38 Old 11-16-2008
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: New York
Posts: 5,856
Thanks: 0
Thanked 18 Times in 17 Posts
Rep Power: 20
     
If it were me and I liked the boat, I make a offer with 20% down subject to survey, sea trail, insurance, and financing. Survey and Sea trail in the spring in case there is any damage over the winter. The 20% will show your serious, but I would not bring up anything about holding any of your funds in escrow over and above the deposit. The boat owner can aways counter your offer on the selling price or the terms.
bubb2 is offline  
post #16 of 38 Old 11-16-2008 Thread Starter
Unpaid Intern
 
josrulz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Maryland
Posts: 992
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 14
 
Possibly a good option--if we decide to make an offer, you're right that we can at least try the offer that we're most comfortable with. Our assumption has always been that there's no way the seller is going to pull the boat off the market for several months waiting for the sea trial/survey. And we're probably right. But it might not hurt to start there and see where it goes. You never know.
-J
josrulz is offline  
post #17 of 38 Old 11-16-2008
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: VA
Posts: 2,255
Thanks: 3
Thanked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Rep Power: 15
 
Its a long winter.

I'd put the boat on my watch list and plan on taking a few more such trips over the next two months as other candidates come on the market. Then, if this boat is still your favorite come March, then put in an offer then when the survey and sea trial can be completed in short order.

That will give you a few weekends to look forward to over the winter and the odds of loosing this boat are all that great since anyone else interested has the same issues regarding buying this time of year.

PalmettoSailor
s/v Palmetto Moon
1991 Catalina 36
PalmettoSailor is online now  
post #18 of 38 Old 11-16-2008
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: New York
Posts: 5,856
Thanks: 0
Thanked 18 Times in 17 Posts
Rep Power: 20
     
Quote:
Originally Posted by josrulz View Post
Possibly a good option--if we decide to make an offer, you're right that we can at least try the offer that we're most comfortable with. Our assumption has always been that there's no way the seller is going to pull the boat off the market for several months waiting for the sea trial/survey. And we're probably right. But it might not hurt to start there and see where it goes. You never know.
-J
josrulz, you would not be asking for anything another smart buyer wouldn't be asking for. The seller may very well accept your offer as he would know that the boat is sold, if it passes survey and sea trial in the spring. This is not all that uncommon in snow country and I have seen deals go together like this. The boat is not going to sea trail until spring no matter who puts an offer on it.

Last edited by bubb2; 11-16-2008 at 04:41 PM.
bubb2 is offline  
post #19 of 38 Old 11-16-2008 Thread Starter
Unpaid Intern
 
josrulz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Maryland
Posts: 992
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 14
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by midlifesailor View Post
Its a long winter.

I'd put the boat on my watch list and plan on taking a few more such trips over the next two months as other candidates come on the market. Then, if this boat is still your favorite come March, then put in an offer then when the survey and sea trial can be completed in short order.

That will give you a few weekends to look forward to over the winter and the odds of loosing this boat are all that great since anyone else interested has the same issues regarding buying this time of year.
Agreed, it is a long winter, so that's on our minds of course. Though we've looked at a dozen boats already, up and down the east coast. Based on that experience, I can say that while it's possible a "better" example will appear this winter, it wouldn't be much better, if indeed one appeared that is. My wife and I both had the "this is the boat" feeling when we were on board--that's the only reason for the "problem". If it were just "pretty good", we wouldn't think twice about waiting until late winter. Hmmm...
josrulz is offline  
post #20 of 38 Old 11-16-2008 Thread Starter
Unpaid Intern
 
josrulz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Maryland
Posts: 992
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 14
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubb2 View Post
josrulz, you would not be asking for anything another smart buyer wouldn't be asking for. The seller may very well accept your offer as he would know that the boat is sold, if it passes survey and sea trial in the spring. This is not all that uncommon in snow country and I have seen deals go together like this. The boat is not going to sea trail until spring no matter who puts an offer on it.
Thanks for the perspective, bubb2. If we make an offer, we'll most definitely do so with the terms that work best for us, including sea trial and survey. Your point that the seller might accept it is a good one. We'll see! Thanks again,
J
josrulz is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.


User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Legal distance for towing another boat? Pamlicotraveler General Discussion (sailing related) 22 04-03-2015 10:50 AM
Selling a boat and transport long distance lakesguy Boat Review and Purchase Forum 10 06-29-2014 07:39 PM
Owning a boat long/cruising from long distance? utchuckd Cruising & Liveaboard Forum 5 04-21-2010 11:39 AM
Question similar to the "Long Distance Small Boat Sailing", guy pagansdad General Discussion (sailing related) 19 12-05-2007 12:52 PM
Long Distance Small Boat Sailing akoutdoors1 General Discussion (sailing related) 113 12-04-2007 01:39 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome