Off to visit another long-distance boat this weekend. - Page 4 - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 38 Old 11-19-2008 Thread Starter
Unpaid Intern

Quote:
Originally Posted by escapaide View Post
How long has the boat been on the market? If it has been for sale for a long time the possibility it will sell over the winter is probably not as great.
Not very long. If I had to guess, I'd say it will sell. Not trying to undercut my situation, but I've been looking at this and a few other models for a while now, so I know what's been on and not on the market lately. Might not sell today or tomorrow, but I wouldn't bet it'll be sitting around in 5 months.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 Old 11-19-2008
Mud Hen #69, Mad Hatter

Here's some thinge to consider with a long distance romance.

Of course the price of the boat and the survey. Here's what I just forked out on top of that:

Freight $1,600
Rigger to winterize, pack & wrap: $1,525
This included pump-out, a minor engine repair (known fuel leak from survey) but a bit of a surprise to clean the bilge as fuel had leaked in past the oil sump pan and the rigger would not move the boat with a potential oil discharge situation - $125 for clean-out plus $50 to tighten the hose at the fuel pump.

Yard to store (while the de-rigger worked), haul and set on truck: $725

Problem I had was that the boat was at a small community dock, the yard it was delivered to wouldn't touch the boat other than to haul & unstep the mast.

Among the details: I had to pay $5/day for the mast to lay on a rack (two days). Transient fees of $74.75 per day (for two days). $46.30 for a powerwash plus $22 for "environmental" that went along with it.

Ka ching, ka ching, ka ching.

That's $3,850 I would have saved if I bought a boat I could have delivered to my slip myself.

Charlie P. Mud Hen 17 #69 Mad Hatter

To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive - R.L. Stevenson

I suspect that, if you should go to the end of the world, you would find somebody there going farther . . . - H.D. Thoreau
post #33 of 38 Old 11-19-2008 Thread Starter
Unpaid Intern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delirious View Post
Here's some thinge to consider with a long distance romance.

Of course the price of the boat and the survey. Here's what I just forked out on top of that:

Freight $1,600
Rigger to winterize, pack & wrap: $1,525
This included pump-out, a minor engine repair (known fuel leak from survey) but a bit of a surprise to clean the bilge as fuel had leaked in past the oil sump pan and the rigger would not move the boat with a potential oil discharge situation - $125 for clean-out plus $50 to tighten the hose at the fuel pump.

Yard to store (while the de-rigger worked), haul and set on truck: $725

Problem I had was that the boat was at a small community dock, the yard it was delivered to wouldn't touch the boat other than to haul & unstep the mast.

Among the details: I had to pay $5/day for the mast to lay on a rack (two days). Transient fees of $74.75 per day (for two days). $46.30 for a powerwash plus $22 for "environmental" that went along with it.

Ka ching, ka ching, ka ching.

That's $3,850 I would have saved if I bought a boat I could have delivered to my slip myself.
Thanks Delirious. Point well-taken. We'll be delivering the boat ourselves (in Spring), and winterization has already been done, and I believe winter storage is all paid for (we're verifying this). We would have to pay to restep the mast in the spring of course. Splashing the boat is also already paid for with the original haul-out and blocking.

Of course, we still have hotel stays and gas to visit the boat and do some work over the winter, bottom paint in the spring, and probably a myriad of other stuff to get ready to sail her home. So I'm sure it will add up. Hopefully not too much though!

post #34 of 38 Old 11-20-2008 Thread Starter
Unpaid Intern

We made an offer!

We don't expect to hear back until the morning at the earliest. It will be interesting to see what they come back with. We made an offer with terms that work for us and where we feel comfortable under the circumstances. If they reject the offer, or counter with something we don't feel comfortable with, then we will move on.

Hopefully, we can come to an agreement. For once, I'd like to post pictures on this forum! So far, everything keeps falling through!
-J
post #35 of 38 Old 11-20-2008

if things keep falling thru there is a reason. but aside from that where is the boat what is she? inquiring minds need to know. we bought our boat in November after survey. owner had no prob. with escrow account for motor, elect from motor etc, checked what we could during survey, hull moisture, decks etc./ visual mechanics. moisture in decks (found some) our boat was a
feeling, ((first(big boat)) we owned, always ran day sailors or chartered. It was a local boat not like yours, but you still have the same apprehensions. there were some things the surveyor missed very minor stuff but. notice i can say a but we ended up putting more money in, in the spring but more for my own piece of mind than what the surveyor called for. note i got a $2500.00 decrease in price with surveyor.
you mention you have to pay to have the stick put back in. up here in the northeast it is usually part of decommissioning to restep mast in the spring so i would check on that with the orig hauler. either seller is trying to recoup on their circumstances or the hauler is trying to fatten their bootom line.
post #36 of 38 Old 11-20-2008 Thread Starter
Unpaid Intern

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike dryver View Post
if things keep falling thru there is a reason. but aside from that where is the boat what is she? inquiring minds need to know. we bought our boat in November after survey. owner had no prob. with escrow account for motor, elect from motor etc, checked what we could during survey, hull moisture, decks etc./ visual mechanics. moisture in decks (found some) our boat was a
feeling, ((first(big boat)) we owned, always ran day sailors or chartered. It was a local boat not like yours, but you still have the same apprehensions. there were some things the surveyor missed very minor stuff but. notice i can say a but we ended up putting more money in, in the spring but more for my own piece of mind than what the surveyor called for. note i got a $2500.00 decrease in price with surveyor.
you mention you have to pay to have the stick put back in. up here in the northeast it is usually part of decommissioning to restep mast in the spring so i would check on that with the orig hauler. either seller is trying to recoup on their circumstances or the hauler is trying to fatten their bootom line.

Thanks Mike, we'll check on the stick, but when I asked the yard separately (they didn't know I was inquiring about any specific boat, just their prices), they said they charge for the stick each way, but everything else is round trip. So the haul, winterization, storage for the whole winter, and splashing in spring is paid for already. I will be sure to get the records on this particular boat from them if we get to survey, so then I'll know for sure what's been paid for already.

I'll let everyone know what we hear back from the sellers. If we get to survey and that goes well, then I'll reveal the boat AND pics. The previous two boats fell through for reasons out of our control (all on the seller or the boat). Hopefully this one won't. Besides we like this one the best anyway.
post #37 of 38 Old 11-20-2008
Irrationally Exuberant

Good luck!

Tom K

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy ~ Steven Wright
post #38 of 38 Old 11-21-2008

Jozrulz

I have been reading this thread from beginning to end and followed the other two as well. The feeling I got from reading in sequence was that you were hooked and had decided this wasthe boat even before your offer was made.

One good thing abou a boat on the hard. It is very hard to hide deficioencies and far easier to survey. I would normall prefer t buy a boat n the hard than one already in waterfor taht reason

Good luck!

Mike
Nut Case

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in