SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   Off to visit another long-distance boat this weekend. (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/48893-off-visit-another-long-distance-boat-weekend.html)

josrulz 11-12-2008 09:21 PM

Off to visit another long-distance boat this weekend.

Although this refrain is somewhat familiar, it's very theraputic for me to post about it, so I hope you don't mind. My wife and I are off to visit another boat out of our area again this weekend.

As much as we really want "our boat" to show up on the market locally, so far that hasn't materialized. This one is in the northeast, and would probably represent a 7 or 8 day sail home in the spring. Of course, we're in no rush, so the only way we put an offer on this boat is if it's really sweet. But the only way we'll know is if we check it out, right?

For those who don't know, we've put offers on two boats thus far. For the first, the broker turned out to be shady. The second boat we went all the way to survey and found a ton of blisters on the bottom. So back to drawing board we went.

So really, this is just an update. I'll let you know what we find when we get back. We've looked at so many boats already that I don't want to get my hopes up. But it's hard not to hope!
Thanks,
-J

sailingdog 11-12-2008 09:42 PM

Good luck. :)

T34C 11-12-2008 09:50 PM

Have you considered having someone in the area go and look at the boat before you make travel plans? There are many on this forum that have/will volunteer to go have a look for you and let you know if it is worth the trip or not.

Just something to consider.

Delirious 11-12-2008 10:01 PM

Best of luck.

Ours is going on the truck tomorrow and should be "home" Friday. Next time I buy a boat it will be from WHERE I intend to use it. This has been a logistical learning experience; trying to get five seperate groups to handle the boat in the proper sequence - seller, hauling yard (seller kept it at a private dock w/no lift or crane and the hauling yard keeps the transient clock ticking every moment it is there plus the haul fee), mast unstepper/derigger/packer (closest yard with lift does not do rigging), trucker, receiving yard up here.

All with open pockets looking for bags of money. Sheesh! No doubt about it self-delivery is the way to go. My "fix her up" cash reserve kitty is looking like it went a few rounds with a Doberman.

CalebD 11-12-2008 10:11 PM

Not to jump on the bandwagon but ...

There are a ton of folks who have said they would take a look at a local boat for you in the north east on the 'Local boat buying assistance' sticky. I posted there as well being a sort of amateur marine surveyor myself. I have a digital camera and would climb over the boat for you and send more pics but I doubt they would let me start up the engine at this point.
Of course you ultimately have to touch it and feel it yourself so I hope the trip is worth while for you.
As SD said, good luck.

josrulz 11-13-2008 03:19 PM

All good points. I'd thought of that on a previous boat, but for some reason it did not occur to me this time to ask someone to check it out. I'll keep that in mind for next time.

I think this time, we'll go ahead and make the trip. We're already planning to do it, and if the boat is a good one, then it will help that we've seen it earlier rather than later in this case.

But thanks everyone for the suggestion. I think next time, I'll will indeed ask someone to check the boat out first. It does help to have someone besides the broker tell you what they see before making a long trip! Thanks again!
-J

AjariBonten 11-13-2008 03:33 PM

Don't forget to bring your moisture meter ...;)

:hammer

xort 11-13-2008 08:40 PM

Might be worth having somebody take a look anyway. Getting a second opinion. Might hear something different from the broker. They could drop a line to the broker that the boat isn't worth half the asking price!

Bene505 11-13-2008 10:02 PM

Stick with it. Your boat will show up. If it's on Long Island, let me know. I'll help too.

josrulz 11-14-2008 10:10 AM

Thanks, I really appreciate the offer. The folks here on Sailnet have been great.

We're heading out tomorrow to go one with our trip. Of course, I'll report back.

If this isn't "the boat" though, next time we find one up in that area I might ask for help taking a look first. Certainly worth it if someone is willing to help out!
Thanks again!
-J