Beneteau 423 vs 473 - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 47 Old 11-19-2008 Thread Starter
Abysmally Stupid

Beneteau 423 vs 473

I would like to hear from some Beneteau owners (and others) on pros and cons of the 423 vs 473.

Our search for new boat will now start in earnest.

Some background and intended use (to keep SD of my back )

Intended use: Chesapeake Bay and future extended cruise to Bahamas via ICW.

Looking to buy in between now and, if we can find the right boat, May 2008.

We will buy used not new.

Budget: no set limit but around or below 250K would be good.

Boats we are considering are:

Beneteau 423 or maybe 473 (2 cabin versions)

We also like: Catalina 400 (or maybe 470), Tartan 3700 or 4100, Sabre 402, Passport 40 etc.

My thoughts on 423 vs 473

423:

+ Same money will buy me a newer boat.
+ Shoal draft option 4’9” available (positive for Chessie, ICW and Bahamas)
- A lot of them come with Volvo engine (service network?)

473:

+ 2 cabin version has nice “garage on port side behind galley
+ 2 steering wheels (undecided whether this is a positive)
+ Plenty of room for generator.
- Shoalest draft is 5’7”
- Bloody big boat – docking – how much harder to dock a 47’ with thruster than a 40-42’ without thruster

Is the 473 worth the extra money?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 Old 11-19-2008
moderate?

Get the big boy...you won't regret it. You forgot TANKAGE. A YANMAR and the extra displacement for more seakindliness (yeah i know...but in this case true!).

No longer posting. Reach me by PM!
post #3 of 47 Old 11-19-2008

You need to compare cabinetry, hardware, and finishout between the new Benes and Catalinas. The Catalina may be a tad more money, but their cabintery is solid teak and they use larger and better hardware (windlass, stops, etc).

My comparisons are between the boats I saw at the boat show and my boat, so it is possible I saw some duds from Bene. However, I will attest that the 400 is one of the best sailing vessels I have sailed of ANY boat. SHe is sure footed and fast. It is also made for the type of cruising you want to do.

Some 400 shots from yours truly (No, the girl does not go with the boat... you could not afford her!!!!):

post #4 of 47 Old 11-19-2008 Thread Starter
Abysmally Stupid

Good points Cam,

The reason I am even considering the 473, which I think is bigger than we need, is that then I am definetely done size wise, won't ever have to get a bigger boat. If I get the 423 I might just wake up in a few years time with threefootitis. Still leaning towards the 423 though... wife thinks it is more sensible.

std tankage:

423: water 154G Fuel 53G
473: water 220G Fuel 56G ( I think that there is an option of one additonal tank for a total of >100G)

I am guessing that the 75hp Yanmar in the 473 will consume a bit more fuel than the 56 HP in the 423 so the standard fuel tankage in the 423 probably gives a longer range?

Cam, I believe that you have been down the ICW a few times, is 5'7" draft really a big problem?
post #5 of 47 Old 11-19-2008 Thread Starter
Abysmally Stupid

CD,

Thanks for the input.

Two of my friends have C400's so I am very familiar with them and like them a lot.

Last may I did the DelMarVa circum nav (36 hr offshore passage) on a C400 - comfortable boat.

I prefer the interior cabinetry of the C400's, Love the big galley and am aware of the bigger HW such as winches.

I prefer the Bene 423/473 exterior look and I think they are faster boats.

The (only) thing that concerns me the most about the C400 (and that was the thing that I really liked 1 year ago) is the Queen sized aft birth. I think it may be a bit claustrophobic, possibly with poor ventilation (that's what I hear) compared to a centerline queen in the bow as per Bene 423. I also think that headroom above the bed may not be conducive to certain activities

Your right about the girl, mine is Irish and I can barely afford her.

Hon much for the dog?
post #6 of 47 Old 11-19-2008
Warm Weather Sailor

Having sailed both and having cruised for a couple of months in a 423, I would go with the 423. Of all the "3's", the 423 is the best looking and best proportioned and, in my view, the best sailer. I ended up with a 393 because my wife preferred the layout but I must admit the 423 is the better boat. The only drawback was the Volvo and, in the first few years, the Volvo (D2 55 if I remember right) has had its problems.

If you need a generator you can put one in the starboard cockpit locker. The one I cruised on had one. The only thing I didn't like was the small size of the second head (the 393 second head is bigger) and my wife did not like the galley and the microwave being above the stove. Also the hatch in the V berth is aft of the bunk so you don't get the full effect of a breeze at anchor. These are minor things.

The biggest problem we found with the 423 was that the counter tops were cracking but Beneteau sent a guy from France around and replaced them. All custom work and an indication of the good support you get from this manufacturer.

The pic is my buddy's 423 sitting in the mud taken in 2005 from my 393 also sitting in the mud. The 423 was sold a year ago, a terrific bargain for the new owner. Just read the Catalina post. The Beneteau has a lot more storage. And make sure you get an arch! I had them put one on my 393 when I saw the 423 arch.

Rick I
Toronto in summer, Bahamas in winter.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Vasco; 11-19-2008 at 05:33 PM.
post #7 of 47 Old 11-19-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgenl View Post
CD,

Thanks for the input.

Two of my friends have C400's so I am very familiar with them and like them a lot.

Last may I did the DelMarVa circum nav (36 hr offshore passage) on a C400 - comfortable boat.

I prefer the interior cabinetry of the C400's, Love the big galley and am aware of the bigger HW such as winches.

I prefer the Bene 423/473 exterior look and I think they are faster boats.

The (only) thing that concerns me the most about the C400 (and that was the thing that I really liked 1 year ago) is the Queen sized aft birth. I think it may be a bit claustrophobic, possibly with poor ventilation (that's what I hear) compared to a centerline queen in the bow as per Bene 423. I also think that headroom above the bed may not be conducive to certain activities

Your right about the girl, mine is Irish and I can barely afford her.

Hon much for the dog?
It is all trade offs. THe stern cabin is great for us because it is an escape. I sleep extremely well on i tand have a lot of room to spread out. That was my complaint with many of the V-Berth or pullman arrangements. We installed a lot of fans to handle the ventillation, but there is NO way it will compete with a Vberth arrangement. My wife is highly claustrophobic and the berth does not bother her - but you cannot sit all the way up to read a book which is a bummer. We have found the settees in the aft cabin good for that. In all, it is not bad. Worst part (and you are right) is the ventillation, but we have some potential fixes for that.

As for the dog, ok. I will pay you to take her!! Just name your price, but keep it under six figures! Before you agree, let me tell you that she eats more than a horse, craps like one, will only sleep in the bed with you, and snores like a freight train coming into the station. How about if I buy your boat and you take the dog??

Shoot some good pics, no matter what you pick out.

- CD
post #8 of 47 Old 11-19-2008
Warm Weather Sailor

Couple of more pics.

Rick I

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 47 Old 11-19-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Having sailed both and having cruised for a couple of months in a 423, I would go with the 423. Of all the "3's", the 423 is the best looking and best proportioned and, in my view, the best sailer. I ended up with a 393 because my wife preferred the layout but I must admit the 423 is the better boat. The only drawback was the Volvo and, in the first few years, the Volvo (D2 55 if I remember right) has had its problems.

If you need a generator you can put one in the starboard cockpit locker. The one I cruised on had one. The only thing I didn't like was the small size of the second head (the 393 second head is bigger) and my wife did not like the galley and the microwave being above the stove. Also the hatch in the V berth is aft of the bunk so you don't get the full effect of a breeze at anchor. These are minor things.

The biggest problem we found with the 423 was that the counter tops were cracking but Beneteau sent a guy from France around and replaced them. All custom work and an indication of the good support you get from this manufacturer.

The pic is my buddy's 423 sitting in the mud taken in 2005 from my 393 also sitting in the mud. The 423 was sold a year ago, a terrific bargain for the new owner. Just read the Catalina post. The Beneteau has a lot more storage. And make sure you get an arch! I had them put one on my 393 when I saw the 423 arch.

There are two 423 at our marina (if I am not mistaken). Both list to stbd. Did your friends boat do that or is missloading by the owners?

I will shoot a pic of it (I should be able to this weekend).

- CD
post #10 of 47 Old 11-19-2008
Warm Weather Sailor

Yes the 423 lists to starboard, the 393 lists to port and the 473 is way down by the stern (you have to bottom paint the transom). Hey, nothing's perfect!! When cruising, proper stowing takes care of the lists. The 473 I don't know how you fix being down by the stern, certainly not by putting more chain in the anchor locker.

Rick I

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in