Pounding on a Beneteau 423 - Page 4 - SailNet Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 42 Old 02-18-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1vsk View Post
Feel free to listen to some surveyor who wasn't there or from the consensus of a group of knowledgeable sailors who were and know the what "deck flexing" is - this has absolutely nothing to do with the issue here and most surveyors should be able to tell the difference...

Regarding the flat hull and pounding, I said both were relative terms - this boat has/does both compared to similar sized and priced competitors - again, your choice.

Yeah, Nika, I was going to follow-up and mention that while your surveyor's comments are interesting, they seem to focus on deck issues. K1 was specifically discussing oil-canning of the hull, not deck, in a moderately heavy but fairly typical seaway.

As for the pounding, my impression is that sailors in recent years have increasingly come to accept pounding as a fact of life with modern hull designs. Evidenced by use of words like "relatively moderate" when discussing the extant to which a tested hull pounds, as though this is a welcome attribute.

The flatter modern hulls have certain advantages over older designs, but their acknowledged propensity to pound is not one of them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 42 Old 02-18-2009 Thread Starter

Always a trade off it seems. I guess we shall have to live with it if we want light wind performance and the ease of sailing of these modern sailboats.

thanks
post #33 of 42 Old 02-19-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by nika44 View Post
Always a trade off it seems. I guess we shall have to live with it if we want light wind performance and the ease of sailing of these modern sailboats.

thanks
Nika,

If you're strictly planning to do coastal cruising/vacation sailing, where your exposure to pounding conditions can be limited by ducking in for cover, it is a very reasonable trade-off to make.

On the other hand, if you're talking about crossing oceans with your family, you should consider the effect on your long-term cruising plans of a 3-4 day beat to weather in a nasty seaway. It's challenging enough in a boat whose design minimizes pounding, but it can be punishing in a boat that has traded or compromised this design attribute for other advantages.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #34 of 42 Old 02-19-2009 Thread Starter

I wholeheartedly agree. If we were going to do anything else other than coastal cruising I'd go for a heavier boat with a deeper keel, too. For what we have time to do, which is sail over to Bock or Newport and for weekend trips to Greenport I think we'll do fine with the Beneteaus.

thanks for your insight.
post #35 of 42 Old 02-19-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by nika44 View Post
I wholeheartedly agree. If we were going to do anything else other than coastal cruising I'd go for a heavier boat with a deeper keel, too. For what we have time to do, which is sail over to Bock or Newport and for weekend trips to Greenport I think we'll do fine with the Beneteaus.

thanks for your insight.
Absolutely. Great boat for how you plan to use it. I'd put it on my short-list too.

We have a member, tomaz_423, who owns one and he'd probably be a good resource if you haven't come across him yet.

post #36 of 42 Old 02-19-2009
On the hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giulietta View Post
Don't worry with the pounding...maybe they pound a bit more than deeper narrower hull design, but it sure sails better...

It's a sailboat that sails...go for it, don't let it be an issue.

You can buy an Old Shoe that doesn't pound, but doesn't sail either..

And you will end up sailing more time, than pounding..

GO FOR IT
I don't know about that. My old wooden shoe will average 7.5 in 10 knots of breeze and run with a similar LOA plastic boat and when the wind is up over 30 knots, she'll run off and hide from them. We averaged 10 knots for a 100 NM trip in 40+ just fine. Granted, she won't run with Giulietta but neither will that 423.
post #37 of 42 Old 02-19-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieCobra View Post
I don't know about that. My old wooden shoe will average 7.5 in 10 knots of breeze and run with a similar LOA plastic boat and when the wind is up over 30 knots, she'll run off and hide from them. We averaged 10 knots for a 100 NM trip in 40+ just fine. Granted, she won't run with Giulietta but neither will that 423.
Um, how big and what kind of boat is this? 7.5 knots in 10 knots of breeze? Is it a twin screw trawler?

Dan Goldberg

post #38 of 42 Old 11-12-2018

Re: Pounding on a Beneteau 423

I've owned our 423 for 3 years now and sailed it up and down the Chesapeake Bay. At the mouth of the Potomac in about 30+ kts of wind we were seeing 4ft+ waves with a short period and the boat sailed beautifully, better than any other I've sailed. It is also an amazingly strong boat with stiffeners throughout and fiberglass that is solid. I can't imagine "oil canning", the effect of bending a plate and it "popping" back (with a loud sound) to its original shape when the load is released, ever occurring on this hull. It is a great boat and Beneteau did a great job designing it. Hearsay is not a design criteria, but if it can be proven I'd love the data be posted so all can know. Until then, it sounds like nonsense to this kid.
Minnesail likes this.

Last edited by Shorty; 11-12-2018 at 10:45 PM.
post #39 of 42 Old 11-13-2018
1968 Columbia 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
I've owned our 423 for 3 years now and sailed it up and down the Chesapeake Bay. At the mouth of the Potomac in about 30+ kts of wind we were seeing 4ft+ waves with a short period and the boat sailed beautifully, better than any other I've sailed. It is also an amazingly strong boat with stiffeners throughout and fiberglass that is solid. I can't imagine "oil canning", the effect of bending a plate and it "popping" back (with a loud sound) to its original shape when the load is released, ever occurring on this hull. It is a great boat and Beneteau did a great job designing it. Hearsay is not a design criteria, but if it can be proven I'd love the data be posted so all can know. Until then, it sounds like nonsense to this kid.
Do you realize that this thread is just about 10 yrs old and the poster you are referring to who made the oil canning statement hasn't logged in for over 6 years...

Just saying this as you might not get the reply you are hoping for.

S/V Siren 1968 Columbia 50
post #40 of 42 Old 11-13-2018
bell ringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Siren View Post
Do you realize that this thread is just about 10 yrs old and the poster you are referring to who made the oil canning statement hasn't logged in for over 6 years...

Just saying this as you might not get the reply you are hoping for.
People still read these threads and buyers come across them when researching boats. Shorty seems to be one of the few posts on the thread answering the question instead of blah blah blah.

So a little slack

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in