Torn between two boats - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 05-11-2009 Thread Starter

Torn between two boats

Good morning Sailneters

Well we are torn between two boats that we are looking at. So I ‘m looking for some general thoughts and comments. Unleash the dogs I can take it you guys can be ruthless!!! We are doing coastal cruising , LIS and new England area. Future axpand to east coast and ?.
Boat #1: ’81 Catalina 30 standard rig, rebuilt in ’97 atomic 4 ( I’m familiar with engine.since I have one in present boat) work done at Old Lyme marina, Ct. , min. electronics vhf, depth, knot, stereo , wheel w/ auto helm, emerg. tiller , cabin top traveler, h/c preasure water, 2 – 20gal water tanks ( one leaks – easy access) 20 gal. fuel, lp stove/ oven, sails excellent condtion – main part.bat. one reef, 150 roller, the unit is and older Furlex or harkin continuous loop furler, a-sem w/ sock, new interior cushions. One big draw back for the wife and I is the MINNAMUL storage. Asking price low teens. Would be an easy move up from our 28 newport and could start sailing right away. What can I say it’s a 30’ Catalina. It’s newer and bigger.
Boat #2: ’73 Ericson 35 MKII, bran new Mitsubishi 25hp diesel 3hrs runnig time, hull completely stripped 5 coats barrier coat, and new awal grip to top of gunwales, min. electronics- vhf, gps, depth, knot, wheel, emerg. Tiller, aft traveler, sails (from written report fair condition), 2- mains part. Bat., 150 hanked (not suited for roller furler), 110 hanked ( could be cut for furler) storm, has a scheefer furller never used., mast- all wire halyards appear in good cond. , standing rig ss wire, appear in good cond. , mast rewired 03, interior all new cushions and bright work, alchol stove / oven, new tankage 40 water, 14 waste, H/C preasure water, lot of storage, wife happy with that,top side needs some work on deck and coach top, has typ. Glecoat hairline cracks for that age, didn’t find any soft spots on deck but owner seys there are a couple small areas on the coach top that are soft. Asking price high 20’s. This has classic lines, very sexy. When all cleaned up it will say WOW! A little more than we wanted to spend but.
I know I need to have a survey/ sea trial done.

Alright have at it, I’m at the mast for my whipping.

Peter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 05-11-2009
Telstar 28

If you can afford the Ericson 35... get it... This is likely to prevent you from having three-foot-itis again anytime soon and Ericson built a pretty nice boat in their day. Don't forget to read my Boat Inspection Trip Tips thread I started, as it will help you determine whether the boat is worth looking into further.

Good luck...

Sailingdog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
post #3 of 24 Old 05-11-2009
Big Chicken Baby

I would pick the Ericson for all of the reasons Sailingdog and your wife stated. Ample storage is not to be underrated and those 5 extra feet will be welcome. Plus, the Ericson is just plain pretty.

post #4 of 24 Old 05-11-2009

Ericson. A little better-built, and a little more ocean-capable.

I hate to use GM analogies these days, but a Buick rather than a Chevy.
post #5 of 24 Old 05-11-2009 Thread Starter

Thanks Mimsy and Dog

Dog - Yes I have read your list very helpfull going back one day this wk to pour thur with fine tooth comb. makin a list and checkin it twice.

Mimsy - Yes she is!!!!

Peter
post #6 of 24 Old 05-11-2009
Broad Reachin'

For anything close to even money, the Ericson wins hands down. However, we could be talking about a price difference of around $15k. The roller furling, rebuilt A4, excellent sails and general popularity of the C30 are all pluses.

The Ericson is bigger, and maybe built a bit better. However, she's also probably twice the price and 8 years older with known soft deck spots. The Mitsu diesel is nice, but how easy is it to locate parts and a capable mechanic for a relatively rare marine diesel? Sounds like you'd better budget for new sails, deck work and possible a new furler too. That sounds like a decent chunk of change.

I much prefer Ericsons to Catalinas of similar vintage and price, but you've got to carefully weigh the costs of the older, bigger boat that sounds like it needs more to get her the way you want her.

Catalina 34

post #7 of 24 Old 05-11-2009

In general, the Ericson started out life as a better-built boat and a diesel that might be hard to get parts for is better than any gasoline engine.
With that said, go back and sit in the cockpit on on each of them, then go below and flop down on the main salon couches - try to get comfortable, get up and go crawl into the Vee-berth. Then decide which boat you want.

s/v Paloma, Bristol 29.9, #141
Slipped in Bahia Marina, easy access to Corpus Christi Bay and the Gulf of Mexico.
post #8 of 24 Old 05-11-2009 Thread Starter

johnshasteen - did most of that and I won't be sleeping on the settees on the c30 maybe on the ericson. Ericson also has a usable nav station. You can see the way I'm healing.
post #9 of 24 Old 05-11-2009
Telstar 28

Looks like an Ericson 35 is in your future...

Sailingdog

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
post #10 of 24 Old 05-11-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by justified View Post
johnshasteen - did most of that and I won't be sleeping on the settees on the c30 maybe on the ericson. Ericson also has a usable nav station. You can see the way I'm healing.
Well then, it's the Ericson - good choice! The reason I said see what you thought of the main salon couches is because on a long trip and heeled 15 degrees, you need one salon couch and one side of the Vee berth for sea berths. Never count on the quarter berths - they're always filled with your junk.

s/v Paloma, Bristol 29.9, #141
Slipped in Bahia Marina, easy access to Corpus Christi Bay and the Gulf of Mexico.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in