Singlehanding Pearson 35 Centerboard - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 26 Old 03-06-2016

Re: Singlehanding Pearson 35 Centerboard

Have single handed my P35 in SF Bay, to Hawaii and around the islands. Made the 2,000 plus mile passage to Hilo in 15 days averaging a little over 140nm per day in atypical light conditions for that typically blustery run. Boat will sail in light air but won't perform as well as light fin keel boat because of the wetted surface. Boat has moderate overhangs and WILL power into a chop though not as well as the plumb bowed, fat assed modern abortions. But then it's got a really easy motion and it's relatively dry in the cockpit. Only time I had an issue with chop was in the 'Potato Patch' outside the Gate in winds barely strong enough to sail. The Potato Patch is an area that is notorious for lumpy, short period waves that everybody has trouble in. Did have to jibe rather than tack but she still sailed to weather against the short near vertical waves, just not enough power to punch through the eye of the very light wind. Got me out of there relatively quickly on a reach once around. Run a 135 foam luff furling genoa on the furler for ocean passages. That has been a good all around sail from light to 40k plus winds. For the Chesapeake would probably go with a 150% foam luff jib for the lighter winds. Should get you through almost anything you'd chance out in there. Use an Asym on a short removable bow sprit for really light air on close reach to DDW points of sail.

Biggest negative is the close quarter maneuvering because of the shallow rudder and full keel. Boat does not turn on a dime, not even a silver dollar. Need a bit of way on to make 90 degree turn into a slip in a narrow fairway. Helps to practice using prop walk to maneuver. In reverse, the boat goes where it wants. I've learned to live with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 26 Old 07-29-2016

My family owned two of these, one a yawl-rigged with a Westerbeke diesel and the other an older sloop with the Atomic 4. I much preferred the sloop. Sailed here in the Ft. Lauderdale area with big winds in the Gulf Stream all the time. I really don't get the much earlier comment about not handling chop very well. As has been pointed out, the overhangs were fairly moderate as was the beam, and it's got a fairly fine entry and significant displacement. I found it had a very smooth motion with just the right dynamics to run through anything that could unsettle the boat and crew. I regularly took out people with no sailing experience and they felt very comfortable and secure all the time. No bucking or pounding. Winter conditions in this area bring a lot of winds out of the NE that oppose the stream and stack up the waves to considerable height and nasty faces.

Given its displacement and sail plan, I can get the criticism more that it's not the ideal light airs boat. I understand the Chesapeake doesn't have much wind in the summers. The OP didn't mention anything about racing, though. For general cruising and daysailing, the P35 is a gem. Solid, imho good looking, smart cabin layout and cavernous cockpit -- truly, maybe the biggest in its class. There's a reason why Pearson kept it in production for something like 14 years.
post #13 of 26 Old 07-29-2016

The ability to sail in light air has far more to do with the sailor's skills than a boat's design. Even full keel boats are capable of sailing nicely in light air.

The same is true of singlehanding. As Jeff notes, some boats are more easily singlehanded, but the ability to singlehand depends far more on the skill of the sailor than on the design of the boat.

If I was looking for a boat today, I'd prefer a fractional rig for singlehanding, but I certainly wouldn't reject any well designed, well built, well maintained boat out of a concern for it's ability to be easily singlehanded or sailed in light air. Those are skills that can be learned.
seaner97 likes this.

post #14 of 26 Old 01-30-2017

I have a 35 and bought it to fix up. The drop keel is broken in half and only have about a foot left. Anyone have drawing of the board so I can make another?
post #15 of 26 Old 01-30-2017
Administrator

The board is mostly rectangular except for the end of the board that you already have. You can see the approximate shape here: PEARSON 35 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
post #16 of 26 Old 01-30-2017
Master Mariner

In my opinion, any capable sailor can single hand nearly any Marconi rigged boat with roller furling sails, IF he/she has an autopilot or vane gear that will hold the boat on course in any amount of wind and knows how to use spring lines.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #17 of 26 Old 06-14-2017

I'm am glad this older thread was resurrected as I just purchased a Pearson 39 and am in the process of becoming comfortable single handling her--especially when it comes to getting back into the slip. The boat does have AP and and spring lines and I plan on reefing very early during this learning stage if I think the winds may pick up during the sail, but still, coming from 30 footers to this does create somewhat of a steep learning curve punctuated by occasional bursts of adrenaline....

1973 Pearson 39 "Brandy"
post #18 of 26 Old 06-14-2017
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gail Peterson View Post
I'm am glad this older thread was resurrected as I just purchased a Pearson 39 and am in the process of becoming comfortable single handling her--especially when it comes to getting back into the slip. The boat does have AP and and spring lines and I plan on reefing very early during this learning stage if I think the winds may pick up during the sail, but still, coming from 30 footers to this does create somewhat of a steep learning curve punctuated by occasional bursts of adrenaline....
I've sent you a PM with some possibly useful resources.

Cheers,

Ajax

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168
post #19 of 26 Old 06-15-2017
Master Mariner

Quote:
punctuated by occasional bursts of adrenaline....
I've heard sailing referred to as 99% shear boredom and 1% shear terror. Sound about right?

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #20 of 26 Old 06-15-2017
Administrator

Quote:
As has been suggested, almost any decent monohull can be single-handed by some mix of a skilled skipper, in great physical condition, and with properly gear. But as a life long singlehander, the Pearson 39 would have to be one of the harder 39 footers to single-hand.

If you outlined the ideal design for an easily singlehander, it would almost be the antithesis of the Pearson 39. There are things that you can do to handle the boat motre easily in terms of figuring out your physical location on deck to be in during sail adjustment and course changes and how to time and sequence tasks.

I think that you have joined CHESSS and that should be a good source of information, and short handing resources.

Jeff

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in