No Survey - No Deal! - Page 9 - SailNet Community
 23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #81 of 89 Old 12-09-2013

Re: No Survey - No Deal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootnavigator View Post
The boat cost my entire life savings. I was a buyer and knew what I wanted. The full price offer locked the boat, you can always re negotiate later but I didn't. I did drive 27 hours the next day to take a quick peek about 1 hour total. I now have the best boat in the entire world Boats are pretty simple, the one I wanted rarely comes for sale and I knew I could fix anything that at did come up. Now that I have the boat she is actually ten times better than I could ever imagined.
FYI it was my eleventh boat, all eleven were purchased without a survey and I don't have any regrets on any of them.
tHE MORAL OF THE STORY IS i KNEW WHAT i WANTED, DID MY DUE DILIGENCE AND NOW i'M SAILING THE BOAT i WANT.
See I knew it was a great story. Thanks for sharing.

By the way what boat inspires that much passion?

The lesson from the Icarus story is not about human failing.
It is a lesson about the limitations of wax as an adhesive.
If you have an engineering problem solve it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 89 Old 12-09-2013

She is a little old Hess 22 Sails like a dream passes practically every boat around. I can afford to maintain her perfectly and now that I have gotten used to how small she is she is very comfortable. I swear every time i row to shore which is about 120 days per year I look back at her on the hook and fall in love with her all over again. Very comfortable in a blow and sails a dream when all about are motoring. I sailed her engine-less for 2 years but now have a Yuloh and a small kicker. I could easily write a book about all the great features of this boat but I'm too busy sailing her.
davidpm likes this.
post #83 of 89 Old 12-09-2013 Thread Starter
Learning the HARD way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. View Post
Most insurance companies require a professional survey for a yacht policy.
... and most marinas in my area require insurance before they will let you rent a slip, or store your boat over the winter. So keeping a boat in New England = getting a survey.

Tim - yeah I know that Cordelia sold again. I PMed the guy (who is obviously VERY excited about owning such a beautiful boat) shortly after he bought her, and pointed him in your direction. Cordelia had many of the projects completed that I have since had to do on my vessel. My boat won't ever be in Cordelia's league of fit & finish, but I have had my paws on, and love, every icky inch of her bilge. I wouldn't trade my experience for money, because I will probably need the experience again someday.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #84 of 89 Old 12-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
... and most marinas in my area require insurance before they will let you rent a slip, or store your boat over the winter. So keeping a boat in New England = getting a survey.

Tim - yeah I know that Cordelia sold again. I PMed the guy (who is obviously VERY excited about owning such a beautiful boat) shortly after he bought her, and pointed him in your direction. Cordelia had many of the projects completed that I have since had to do on my vessel. My boat won't ever be in Cordelia's league of fit & finish, but I have had my paws on, and love, every icky inch of her bilge. I wouldn't trade my experience for money, because I will probably need the experience again someday.
Just curious - is this the same Cordelia owned by Nicklaus here? Did he sell already?

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
post #85 of 89 Old 12-09-2013
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Just curious - is this the same Cordelia owned by Nicklaus here? Did he sell already?
Same boat...

______
-Maine Sail / CS-36T

Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

post #86 of 89 Old 12-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
Same boat...
Was he the buyer (one year ago) or the seller (last few weeks)? That boat was gorgeous.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
post #87 of 89 Old 12-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Was he the buyer (one year ago) or the seller (last few weeks)? That boat was gorgeous.
Buyer. Just finished the first season with her.

Tim R.
Our Carina is for sale
1997 Caliber 40LRC

-----------------------------------------------------
post #88 of 89 Old 12-09-2013
Working for next Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
Same boat...

This Post needs links to said boat......

tyfayd

MobiusALilBitTwisted
S/V

1985 Venture 25
Fl Gulf Coast

GrahamO
"Mbius,You need another drink. You are starting to make sense".
post #89 of 89 Old 12-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobiusALilBitTwisted View Post
This Post needs links to said boat......
Current owner's blog:

Long Winter?s Nap | On Board Cordelia

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in