Tax when buying in Florida foe export. - Page 2 - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 30 Old 07-05-2010 Thread Starter

Florida extra tax on tax

There is no way the state will refund the tax. have a look at these, what do you think. half hour and there office will be open i hope i can get someone to commit to a decision.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 30 Old 07-05-2010
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

Rusty, if you try to do things quickly and casually you will wind up screwing yourself.

Before you leave Oz, find out what papers you will need to import the boat and flag/title/register it, whatever you intend to do with it. Make sure you get those exact papers before you leave Florida, and make sure the seller (or broker or agent whoever you deal with) KNOWS exactly what you need, before you even leave Oz.

In the US "deregistering" a boat (or car, they are both usually treated as "motor vehicles") is unusual. The last owner registered the boat in his name, when you buy it you don't "deregister" it, you simply make your own new arrangements. The TITLE is what is important, not necessarily the registration.

You will need a proper TITLE to the boat, and you will need a "Satisfaction of mortgage" or "satisfaction of lien" to prove the previous lien(s) on the vessel have been paid off. Again, find one exactly what Oz will want, and make sure there is no misunderstanding about the papers you will need. You may need to have some of them "notarized" as well, again, find out what Oz wants and if there's any question about the papers--you don't hand over payment and complete the sale without them.

Most US state and federal offices have been closed here today (July 5th) for the 4th of July holiday weekend and will reopen tomorrow. If you need to spend an hour of international calling time to get answers on the phone--that's still going to be cheaper than going home without a boat, or rebooking your flight home. Skype or Google Voice both offer dirt cheap international calling if you don't have arrangements already made.

Get the facts direct from the right offices at both ends.
post #13 of 30 Old 07-05-2010
Telstar 28

Also, try and get the answers in WRITING... via e-mail or FAX.

Sailingdog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

post #14 of 30 Old 07-05-2010

Out of State purchase

Rusty,

My parents purchased a Florida-registered boat last year from a private party. They reside in Georgia, but keep the boat in South Carolina. In their case, they had 90 days to get the boat out of FL waters, or would be liable for taxes. They did not have to "de-register" the boat. It was a little frustrating trying to research to this question at the time, but worked out fine as this is not an uncommon scenario. There were some paperwork requirements, but I don't recall it being particularly difficult.

As others have mentioned, you should definitely contact the State to get the specifics but you should be fine since you don't intend to register the boat in FL.
post #15 of 30 Old 07-06-2010 Thread Starter

Thanks for the info I am waiting for the office to open Tuesday night here. No wonder you have to gey rip off so much tax you are allways on holliday!! The problem is the document person in Florida insists that I have to pay tax. The owner isnt sure the shipper said no one has paid tax yet and the information on the net indicates that I will be due tax. I will get a bill of sale and a discharge or the loan. The added problem is the ship now wants to load early so I will miss this one and the next will be 3 weeks after I leave cant change my plans easy. So I will have a boat sitting in a marina in West Palm Beach cosying me money and liable for Tax?? if this is correct it looks to me like tax is due if they catch you. and the shippers dont get caught or they get exemptions from brokers Im not going to take the risk. And did I mention i cant get any insurance on the boat as well while it is sitting there. I have another option that is to take it to Savannah they ship from there that gets it out of Florida the great tax on Tax state. What sort of a trip would Palm coast to Savannah be dosent look much further. Anyway thanks for your input Ill take all your advise on board and let you know how we get on.
post #16 of 30 Old 07-06-2010 Thread Starter

Florida the tax state

Well if you buy a boat in Florida from a private person you are due 6% tax imediately if you sail into international waters and do the deal and come back to florida you are due tax imediately the 90 day grace is only if you have a exemption by a boat broaker so the value of florida boats just went down 6% unless you want topay 105 to a boat broker.
post #17 of 30 Old 07-06-2010 Thread Starter

Georga not much better

Just got off the phone 45 minits to be answered In Georga It is Tax exempt if it is sold by a georgen resident only. Now she said they will let you bring a boat into Georga and keep it there for one month then it is due for tax a little bit better than Florida Tax department who told me if i bring it in from international waters it is due for tax imediately no 90 days. So ill Buy the florida registed boat in georga and ship it from there or pay a ripoff blood sucking broker $2500 for doing nothing greet country USA They make the Tax law up as they are going along.
post #18 of 30 Old 07-06-2010

No one is forcing you to buy the boat.
If you find the tax law so onerous, spend your money elsewhere.
Ah, but the boats are so much cheaper in the US, aren't they?
The same boat in Oz would be how much more $$$$?
Is the broker's commission less than the 6% tax you are trying so hard to evade? Then it's worth the commission.

It sticks in my craw to listen to somebody ***** about a small part of the cost of a boat that he couldn't find and/or afford to buy back home.
post #19 of 30 Old 07-06-2010
Learning the HARD way...

Rusty,

Part of the reason that the broker receives his commission is that he knows the answers to these questions.

In this case, it seems that you have the option of transferring title in international water (which means that you have to figure out the logistics), paying the full sales tax, cancelling the deal, or use a broker.

If you investigate using a broker, I believe that you could arrange with a local brokers, for a reasonable fee (say 2-3% of a realistic sale price for this vessel), to handle the transaction. You should be upfront and tell the broker why you are doing this. Your position to the broker is that you have already lined up the seller and buyer, and there will be no effort required on the broker's behalf other than handling the paperwork. If the first broker doesn't agree, then the second one will.

This requirement is a bone thrown to the brokerage community by the Florida Tax Collectors (or more likely the legislature), to help these guys stay in business. Like it or not, brokers do preform a useful service.

You should be happy that you are getting a good deal on a boat.
post #20 of 30 Old 07-06-2010
Don Radcliffe

There is something missing here. How does the state of Florida even know the boat has been sold?? You are not asking for Florida registration, and you are not working through a broker who is required to tell them. By the time they think a tax is due, you and the boat will be in Oz.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in