SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   Tax when buying in Florida foe export. (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/66156-tax-when-buying-florida-foe-export.html)

tomandchris 07-06-2010 10:16 AM

Don is correct. The tax is not due if they don't know it is being sold, and you are not telling them it is. They will catch you if you stay, but you are not staying.

Now to a couple of your other rants. Quit your *****ing! If you don't want to buy here buy at home and suck it up.
Having worked in more than the US I can assure you we have a hell of a lot less Holidays than most European and Asain countries. They just seem to be a conflict for you. Tough!

I cannot imagine trying to do what you are doing without some representation here in the states to do the paperwork. Find someone to do the docmumentation for $200-50o US $ and make it simple on yourself. If not you will have the same issues we would have if we were buying the boat in your country. We are very similar to you....we don't like being asked questions so you can ***** about our country, our state, our holidays, and our laws. We do that ourselves just as you do at home.

Suck it up and deal with it or pass on the deal.

jordanship 07-06-2010 10:19 AM

The bridge tenders watch and record every boat that comes or leaves. That is where I think they catch people. They always do. Do not assume no one will notice. I agree with those who have said to walk away. Put this on hold until you have sorted it out. Calm down. Or just follow what the doc agent says and pay the tax. The 6% cannot be such a big deal? Do not get into some type of weird deal with a Georgia brokerage. Enjoy the boat!

sailingdog 07-06-2010 10:43 AM

While bridge tenders watch and record each vessel that passes their bridge, I seriously doubt they have anything to do with the state tax division. The bridge tenders have no idea what the provenance of any given boat is, who owns it, when it was sold or bought, or anything like that...so their information is likely of very little use to the Florida DOR. :rolleyes:

Quote:

Originally Posted by jordanship (Post 619865)
The bridge tenders watch and record every boat that comes or leaves. That is where I think they catch people. They always do. Do not assume no one will notice. I agree with those who have said to walk away. Put this on hold until you have sorted it out. Calm down. Or just follow what the doc agent says and pay the tax. The 6% cannot be such a big deal? Do not get into some type of weird deal with a Georgia brokerage. Enjoy the boat!

jordanship 07-06-2010 01:08 PM

sailingdog, that makes me think...why do the bridge tenders take down the vessel names? They must be keeping track for some reason.

hellosailor 07-06-2010 01:44 PM

Probably for some terribly mundane reason like "What was the name of that boat that just went through? I think they hit the lights on the bridge."

Rusty-
"They make the Tax law up as they are going along." Actually the tax laws are debated, considered, put into effect and widely published and known by the folks who live there. Florida has a lot of megayacht business and the big news is that they actually just capped the sales tax at $18,000 on the sale of boats, which may sound like a lot to you but that's chump change for a twenty million dollar yacht versus six percent.
Sounds like you've got a case of sour grapes because you didn't do your homework when you went shipping halfway around the world. Now you'll have at least five parties involved in your taxes, fees and regulations: Florida, Georgia, the US and Oz, and your locals down there.
If the Georgia ship leaves early, what are you going to do? Pay Georgia taxes, and try to keep moving the boat? This could end badly if the timing gets too tight and there are any delays.

primerate84 07-06-2010 02:19 PM

If you think the US has too many holidays, try getting anything done in France (or anywhere in Europe) during the summer!

GregStreeb 07-06-2010 04:32 PM

Deleted as advertising in violation of forum rules.

rustyrusty 07-06-2010 06:41 PM

You are a touchy lot well im sorry i ruffled a few feathers.I know you are hard working race of people who dont have many hollidays. I will be paying my 10% GST on the boat when it gets to Australia So dont worry I pay my dues. But that will be the only time tax will be due. I have engaged a document person who is able to do the paperwork and I am happy with that. What I are not happy with is the 6% tax which was intended to go toward the maintenance of waterways ect in florida which i will never be using. As far as protecting the boat brokers interests, I dont agree with any sort of protection in buisness we have a registration system for trades in Australia it has ment that a tradesman must have a licence to perform his trade that is good to protect the public agains shonky workmanship but in many cases it has caused an increase in the cost of building far beyond what it shoud be. I rather like free enterprise with less government intervention.

bljones 07-06-2010 09:56 PM

I'm not touchy. I just don't like whiners. HTFU.

tomandchris 07-06-2010 10:07 PM

Rusty, not touchy but protective. If we were pissing on Australia we should expect the same from you.

You can find a work around. Many brokers will do the paperwork for a price even if they do not sell the boat. Let your seller find one for you if he/she wants to sell the boat.