Bristol 35.5 vs Tartan 34c - Page 2 - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 16 Old 02-26-2012

I am tempted to acquire a B35.5. But I am surprised on how small the wheel looks. Would it be advisable to install a larger diameter wheel? this might require some modification of the cockpit, and maybe to transform it as a "T" cockpit - a la T37...
Has anyone contemplated this work and would it be feasible?
Thank you!
rcoles at optonline.net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 Old 02-26-2012
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

I think the answer is that either will work out just fine for you, so it comes down to comparing specific boats rather than specfic models - which one combines the best condition, best equipment (that you want), and best price.

After the refit we have decided to sell Ainia. We want something smaller that would be could for the light summer winds of Lake Ontario, although we plan to spend at least a couple of winters in the Caribbean before heading north.
post #13 of 16 Old 03-12-2012

Re: Bristol 35.5 vs Tartan 34c

A larger diameter wheel, without modification to the cockpit itself, is going to make maneuverability in the aft end of the cockpit only more restricted than it already is. Is it a feasible modification? Yes, but I think more salient questions would probably be is it practical and is it wise? Practical? From a cost perspective probably not. And wise? Well, if you have to have this boat and that is what it would take to make you comfortable, then only you can answer that question. I would think that living with the present arrangement or finding another boat with the diameter wheel and cockpit arrangement that you like might both be better solutions IMHO.

post #14 of 16 Old 03-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoles View Post
I am tempted to acquire a B35.5. But I am surprised on how small the wheel looks. Would it be advisable to install a larger diameter wheel? this might require some modification of the cockpit, and maybe to transform it as a "T" cockpit - a la T37...
Has anyone contemplated this work and would it be feasible?
Thank you!
rcoles at optonline.net
I have the opposite experience. When I sail in one of the newish boats, the wheel seems absolutely enormous. But I have never had a moment when I've thought "gosh, this wheel is heavy". It's a very light touch that is needed under sail.

There are boats that size with tillers, for heavens sake.

So that begs the question, why does a new Beneteau need a 6ft wheel. Is it fashion, or poor rudder design?

Sail it for a few months then decide. I'll wager you decide to not do anything.

Bristol 31.1, San Francisco Bay
post #15 of 16 Old 03-12-2012
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
I have the opposite experience. When I sail in one of the newish boats, the wheel seems absolutely enormous. But I have never had a moment when I've thought "gosh, this wheel is heavy". It's a very light touch that is needed under sail.

There are boats that size with tillers, for heavens sake.

So that begs the question, why does a new Beneteau need a 6ft wheel. Is it fashion, or poor rudder design?
Sail it for a few months then decide. I'll wager you decide to not do anything.
Neither. It's that big, so that the skipper can sit on either side and still reach the wheel. Many times, sitting on the centerline provides obstructed vision for the driver.

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168
post #16 of 16 Old 03-12-2012

Oh yes, that makes sense. Well, you can definitely reach the wheel from either side in a 35.5. The cockpit is quite narrow at the stern.

Bristol 31.1, San Francisco Bay

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in