Ted Brewer Corten - SailNet Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 03-20-2012 Thread Starter

Ted Brewer Corten

Wondering if anyone is familiar with the Ted Brewer designed Corten? a 40' (50'LOA) Schooner. I am looking at one but wonder how it behaves. It was designed by Ted Brewer and Built by "Motts of San Francisco" (never heard of them. Right now we are in a 32' narrow beam ketch. Our use is primarily for Family cruising as well as some charter work. I like the Old Look of her as it appeals to the nostalgia with the Charter clients but I do want a boat that handles well and is good for cruising. Any comments appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 03-20-2012
tdw
Super Fuzzy Moderator

Re: Ted Brewer Corten

You know I nearly posted that being newb you couldn't post pics and links then in a duh moment realised you've been around for some time. So it begs the question ... whytf not back up your enquiry with some information that might clue others in. Some pics or links is not asking too much is it ?

Anywho ... to help out ...

Ted Brewer Yacht Design

1989 Ted Brewer Corten 40 Used Boats For Sale - Frelighsburg, Quebec

Know nothing about them myself though I like Brewer and many of his designs. This one does look a bit long in the tooth.

Andrew B (Malö 39 Classic)

“Life is a trick, and you get one chance to learn it.”
― Terry Pratchett.

Last edited by tdw; 03-20-2012 at 07:32 PM.
post #3 of 17 Old 03-20-2012 Thread Starter

Yeah I should have posted pics to the Ted Brewer site. The particular boat you posted is not the one one I am looking at but the same layout and hull. I am looking at one that is the Gaff rigged schooner version and a much better price. It also has a port mounted prop. Not sure how that effects performanceIt has a recent survey and is appraised at "above average condition" so I feel confident about that (I almost bought this boat 4 years ago). The problem is I am not in a position to buy it right now and would have to do some "creative financing" and creative wife convincing to afford it. At the same time I can probably pick it up for 1/2 what it sold for 2 years ago and what it is appraised for so it is tempting. Can't post pictures as the website I had with pictures last time it was for sale are not available anymore but it looks Just like this one. Big question is how does it sail. It looks great but I don't want a total pig.

Last edited by superiorvoyager; 03-20-2012 at 11:07 PM.

post #4 of 17 Old 03-21-2012
tdw
Super Fuzzy Moderator

I don't know enough about the design to give a reliable opinion but if you are going schooner then tell me what sailing you intend to do.

Andrew B (Malö 39 Classic)

“Life is a trick, and you get one chance to learn it.”
― Terry Pratchett.
post #5 of 17 Old 03-21-2012

Just take her for a sail.A gaff rigged vessel will either turn your crank or.. My guests are enchanted with the rig and red sails. It's the romance. Just because I can stand up on a broad reach , they don't know.We're not racing.
post #6 of 17 Old 03-21-2012

Send a message via Yahoo to dacap06

Superiorvoyager,

Bob Perry frequents this site and does excellent reviews of boats based on their design. After reading some of his reviews at Sailing Magazine, I bought three of his books. The web site is down at the moment or I would check to see if it has already been reviewed.

Bob has a real seaman's eye. I found his predictions were uncannily accurate for the few boats I have sailed. You might want to send him an enquiry, asking his price to do a review just for you. Who knows? Since he could publish it in a later book, it might not be all that much! But in reality I have never spoken to him and have no idea.

Tom

T. P. Donnelly
I sold my sailboat and am no longer active on Sailnet
post #7 of 17 Old 03-21-2012

If I recall correctly, she has a good sa/disp ratio, plenty of sail area. A Gaff schooner will not point as high as a sloop. But a schooner with a full keel will be steady on her course and have an easy motion. You might google results for schooner races in her area to find out how she places. Let us know.
post #8 of 17 Old 03-21-2012 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
I don't know enough about the design to give a reliable opinion but if you are going schooner then tell me what sailing you intend to do.
I cruise on lake superior but also run a charter company so look at the schooner as a possible great appeal for skippered charters. The reason for a schooner is the appeal for clients of the romance of the traditional look and feel. I also like a boat that handles well and is comfortable. I do cruise down to the Caribbean occasionally and may start spending winters down there soon but would still like to run some chartering. Eventually my wife and I plan to cruise the Caribbean and Mediterranean (and who knows where else) on an extended basis. Unfortunately this boat is over 2000 km from where I am so I can't just take it for a "spin" I've attached a link to another one that looks identical to the boat I am looking at. 1996 Ted Brewer Corten - Boats.com Probably not much to know about it, I'll just have to see if I can get the finances togeter and then go down and take a look at her.
post #9 of 17 Old 03-21-2012

Why don't you just ask Ted?
I know his opinion will be biased, but believe me, having owned one of his designs and talked to many other Brewer boat owners, I have heard nothing but praise. This man really knows about cruising boats and sailing in general.
He is very accessible and replies to his emails. You can find his email at his website.
Good luck.
WanderingStar likes this.
post #10 of 17 Old 03-21-2012

Hope you know the difference between charter guests and passengers. There's a world of hurt if you have to meet CSI standards from a standing start.Under the table is another story with a bad ending and every year there's another case in court on this theme.And the noose keeps tightening. Iv'e been CSI for many years and it's still not easy.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in