SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Requiem for a Spork

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Smier 
#1 ·
With Roger Macgregor retiring and the Mac 26M history, I figured I'd take a look at where it came from, and maybe where it's going, because apparently the Mac 26 isn't as dead as everyone said.
Dock Six Chronicles: Requiem for a Spork

#4 ·
Yes, informative and entertaining, links included. Looked at the M26 early on in my (still ongoing) boat search process and absorbed the conventional wisdom - i.e., as neither a true sailboat nor a true powerboat (as you say, a spork), it wasn't worth serious consideration as either. Maybe I was too hasty. For casual local sailing and limited coastal cruising, it seems like a versatile bargain. I'll have to get onto one (an OPB) to re-evaluate.

Curious why his daughter is starting a new company in FL making similar boats under the new name, Tatoo. Tax or union reasons in CA, maybe? Or liability reasons? Or perhaps an attempt to avoid the vitriol associated with the MacGregor brand and start afresh?

#5 ·
Really enjoyed this one, I agree entirely and think the spork and its competitors versions(like the Hunter 260), would truthfully be a great fit for my family. While I enjoy the challenge of sailing, my family likes the destination. A floating camper/swim platform/adventure mobile would suit us perfectly. Even with all the negatives, it would suit us better than my current boats. I fully understand why some people love them, and others hate them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.