Review of 1962 chinook 34 - Page 2 - SailNet Community
Boat Reviews This forum has all types of boat reviews. Take a look, Dream, Agree, Dissagree.... but enjoy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 17 Old 04-27-2017

Re: Review of 1962 chinook 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisscross View Post
He is likely talking about wind speed.
I'd bet you're probably correct. I guess I interpreted that sentence wrong.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 Old 04-27-2017

10 to 12 Kilometers maybe in a hurricane. it only has a 23' waterline

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16
post #13 of 17 Old 03-10-2018

waterline that expands considerably when heeled...

post #14 of 17 Old 03-10-2018
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixtyhorses View Post
waterline that expands considerably when heeled...
which does nothing for motion comfort, or carrying capacity and next to nothing for boat speed.

But it does increase wetted surface and leeway.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay

Last edited by Jeff_H; 03-10-2018 at 04:15 PM.
post #15 of 17 Old 07-26-2018

So Jeff what your saying is the chinook will hobbie horse through the chop? Which boat would you recommend then the chinook or the Columbia 10.7?
How about the older cals, 2-30, 2-29, 31?? Or an older Morgan 35 or Pearson 10m? I believe we all respect your knowledgeable opinion on this site. I watched you on you tube with yab-yum and that was a good learning experience for me for someone who's been a small boat sailer and wants to get into cruising on a small budget. Thank you john
post #16 of 17 Old 07-27-2018
Administrator

While the Chinooks have absolutely beautiful hulls (to look at) and Fred Geiger was an exceptionally skilled designer, when it comes to what we now understand about seakeeping and motion comfort the Chinooks do just about everything wrong. They have very short water lines which would cause them to pitch more excessively than ideal. The have full bows so waves would tend to impart more energy into the boat further increasing the tendency to pitch and also increasing the impacts felt by the crew. They have pinched sterns which reduce the ability to dampen pitch. They have very deep canoe bodies, probably negative form stability, and almost no keel area, minimizing damping and allowing large roll angles (albeit slower than a boat with a lot of form stability). The centerboard when down does provide some damping, but apparently quite a few of the glass boats were built without the centerboard.

The Columbia 10.7 was a strange hull form in terms of motion. I really have never quite understood what they were trying to do there. They have a strange bow, and an exaggerated wine glass section which in theory should be okay, yet in actual practice, do not have a comfortable motion.

I think that the Cal 2-29 and Cal 30-2 make nice coastal cruisers sailing very well for their era, and having a decent build quality.

Purely on subjective grounds I have always had a soft spot in my heart for the 1960's era Morgan 34. These were exceptional boats for their day. They were built in a number of configurations. In the best of all worlds you can find a tall rig, with the skeg hung rudder and bronze centerboard. I am not as much of a fan of the Morgan 35, although they are probably faster, have a nicer layout, and might have a better motion than the 34.

Of all of the boats that you mention, the Pearson 10M is probably the best sailor of the bunch, and another boat that I have always thought of as a great value. Build quality appears to have varied throughout their production run and some seem really crudely put together while others have surprised me with how nice the glass work appears and how solid they feel.

Thank you for the kind words on the 'Sailing Nervous' videos.

Jeff

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay

Last edited by Jeff_H; 07-28-2018 at 10:45 AM. Reason: Typos and Grammar
post #17 of 17 Old 07-28-2018
al brazzi

To confirm a bit of Jeff's comments I had a Columbia 8.3 a scaled version of the 10.7 Allan Payne design. Very nice comfortable Boat in normal conditions would go downwind well and stern anchor like a champ. She would however fell like she was hitting the brakes going upwind in a chop. Underwater profile much like a container ship. Sailed only in the Chesapeake bay. But the interior space was maximized and a bit more spacious than my 30 footer I'm in now. Pearson had an interesting helm position far forward on these Boats which worked well on a P30 we raced years ago, the main trimmer was behind the helm lots of leverage on the boom, it just worked well. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: https://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-reviews/182505-review-1962-chinook-34-a.html
Posted By For Type Date
Review of 1962 chinook 34 - SailNet Community This thread Refback 01-10-2015 06:22 PM