looking for a beautiful yet fun to sail boat - Page 3 - SailNet Community
Boat Reviews This forum has all types of boat reviews. Take a look, Dream, Agree, Dissagree.... but enjoy.

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 37 Old 09-11-2015

Re: looking for a beautiful yet fun to sail boat

The Cape Dory 28 is certainly not a fast boat, but probably decent in all but light winds. PHRF is about 220. Compare that to the similar sized and traditional looking (but newer) Alerion 28 which rates about 160. That's a significant difference.

For cruising with 2, the CD28 would be fine. Not sure about 4 or 5 for a week or more however.

You have a good budget for a boat in this size range so you should be able to find a nice one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 37 Old 09-11-2015
Less Senior Senior Member

I stand by the Pearson 30 as a nice compromise. Should be able to find a reasonably well maintained one in your initial range with money left over. Many had a fair bit of teak below. Ericson 30. Tartans. Canadian Sailcraft. I love the Cape Dory, but they are not fast. Definitely a Bristol 31.1 if you can go over 30.
post #23 of 37 Old 09-11-2015

I'm from Victoria, Canada ... and for a first boat for this area, Puget Sound included , you can't beat a T-Bird: easy to sail, very forgiving, stands up to heavy whether , huge North West fleet ... for more information on spec's just ask. Otherwise, in a more cruiser accommodating vessel ... the "Niagra" 31 designed by Germain Frers , built by Hindtholder of Ontario , Canada, the perfect vessel at 30' bar none.

post #24 of 37 Old 09-12-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by salishgirl View Post
Good questions! Your right, I should be more specific about what I am interested in. Here goes:
I want a boat capable of extended travel up the coast ( 1-6 weeks)
Interior comfort is important, esp. the galley I love to cook.
Up to 4 people may come along for up to 1 week trips otherwise it will be 2 of us.
A boat I can sail single handedly.
I like boats with a rich wood interior and classic lines.
While I don't need a racer I don't want something pokey either.
I want in inboard diesel.
Year round sailing is preferred if the weather is not too bad.
I'll add more as I think of more criteria
thanks
This is not the boat you're looking for-there are none for sale and they're out of your budget.

But the video by the broker of the Morris Linda gives a good sense of space and what I think you might be looking for. This 28' Linda is well designed for a couple for more than a weekend. You like to cook onboard(so do we) and this galley is pretty efficient in 28'.

Linda's came with either a quarterberth or nav station. I personally think the older styles that used this area all for storage/galley/nav station, are best for a couple cruiser. In fact you might find better galley's in boats without quarter berths.

Unfortunately, the boats that are better for sleeping your guests, are much worse for just the two of you. But you can make short term adjustments for guests while having an efficient couple cruiser for the bulk of the time you'll spend on the boat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loFnWOV7Ff4

Tom Young sailing a 1961 38' Alden Challenger, CHRISTMAS out of
Rockport, Maine.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'I'd have written a shorter post, but I didn't have the time', Mark Twain.
post #25 of 37 Old 09-14-2015

Dock

I sail an Alberg 35 on the Chesapeake out of Baltimore and I'd add my recommendation to the Alberg boats. Mine is 50 years old and solid. Many of the systems have been upgraded (engine, electric, etc). She's tender at first but settles down at about 25% in 10-15 knots on the wind and just sits there with the water a few inches below the rail. It feels exciting. Off the wind, the keel keeps things straight and easy.

The downside is that with an older boat, you are always chasing maintenance issues. Second, they don't have the space more modern designs have below. However, in our case, there are just two of us and there's plenty of space for us. Third, she does NOT back reliably under power. I've worked and worked at figuring out issues with this—prop walk and so on—and practicing. I got a note from someone who's had one for 25 years that said, "I still have no idea where mine will go when I back up." My solution has been to use a spring line to pivot on when backing out of a slip.

The Alberg 37 is even nicer, a bit more spacious and I believe has at least one pilot berth; nice for guests or long passages. The Cape Dory line I believe are very similar. Those might give you the advantage of a larger owner base.
post #26 of 37 Old 09-14-2015
I can't re Member

Jeez... what's wrong with you people? She's looking an Orion 27. Isn't everybody? I'm not even slightly biased.......

Here're a few more choices;

20 More Affordable Cruising Sailboats | Sailingmates

Best of luck Salishgirl. Great cruising grounds you have there, though I had a pilothouse when I was sailing the Straits of Juan de Fuca. Did you notice it rains there sometimes?

goat (loving his Orion 27 with a tiller)
post #27 of 37 Old 09-14-2015
I can't re Member

Here're twenty more;

20 Affordable Cruising Sailboats | Sailingmates

goat
post #28 of 37 Old 09-14-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by salishgirl View Post
Good questions! Your right, I should be more specific about what I am interested in. Here goes:
I want a boat capable of extended travel up the coast ( 1-6 weeks)
Interior comfort is important, esp. the galley I love to cook.
Up to 4 people may come along for up to 1 week trips otherwise it will be 2 of us.
A boat I can sail single handedly.
I like boats with a rich wood interior and classic lines.
While I don't need a racer I don't want something pokey either.
I want in inboard diesel.
Year round sailing is preferred if the weather is not too bad.
I'll add more as I think of more criteria
thanks
I don't think I have ever see a boat in the sub 30 foot range that meets those requirements.

4 people in addition to the two of you? If so, make sure there is room to throw a couple sleeping bags in the cockpit and only go during a dry week in August.

I sail here in Puget Sound. There are a LOT of older boats that would fit in your budget. I know that you like the "classic" lines, but for the type of sailing that we have around here most of the time, I would suggest you look at some of the older production boats with fin keels and spade rudders.

If you really like to sand and varnish instead of sail, then some of the other boats would be fine. Keep in mind that unlike many of those on this board, we have year round sailing. Our boats dont' get hauled out at the end of the season. If we have a free weekend, it is a lot more fun to take the boat out, rain or not, than two spend the time working on the boat.

Maybe I am just inherently lazy thought. :-)

Good luck with your search.

Dave

Dave
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

47⁰20'11.7" N
122⁰35'20.8" W
M/V Kinship, North Pacific 43
Formerly
S/V Legacy, Catalina 400 MkII, Hull #328
post #29 of 37 Old 09-14-2015
Above 5 knots

Dock

I got this one... a Mac 26x... it meets none of your criteria, but SOMEONE will recommend it anyway, might as well be me.
dhays and goat like this.

MINI MOO, a 1983 Wavelength 24 - she's a fast cow!
post #30 of 37 Old 09-21-2015 Thread Starter

Sorry I'm replying so late but I'm out of the country and didn't have an Internet connection. We would only have a total of 4 people at most staying overnight on the boat. Thanks for the tip Dave. I'll look into fin keel boats with a spade rudder as an option as well.
I do hope to sail year round, we definitely get some nice days even in the winter.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: https://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-reviews/218314-looking-beautiful-yet-fun-sail-boat.html
Posted By For Type Date
Site SailNet Community | sailnet.com | BoardReader This thread Refback 09-15-2015 12:41 PM
looking for a beautiful yet fun to sail boat - SailNet Community This thread Refback 09-08-2015 06:15 PM