looking for a beautiful yet fun to sail boat - SailNet Community
Boat Reviews This forum has all types of boat reviews. Take a look, Dream, Agree, Dissagree.... but enjoy.

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 Old 09-08-2015 Thread Starter

looking for a beautiful yet fun to sail boat

Hi all
I'm in the market for my first boat. I live in Seattle and have sailed with friends but i'm ready to take the plunge. I'm attracted to older boats with great wood detailing yet have a fiberglass hull. I'm happy to maintain the wood detailing I just don't want to do a restoration of an old boat. I would love your opinions on several boats I have looked at.
1969 Cheoy Lee Offshore 27'
1983 Herreshoff H28 Cutter rigged 28'
1984 Port Townsend Custom built herreshoff Cutter 30'
1968 Trintella IA Anne wever 29'
All these boats have had extensive restoration except the Cheoy Lee which has a soft fore deck. I suspect the repair work will be expensive.
Any idea about resale value on any of these boats not that I plan on selling my beauty but it will be my first boat so I'm not quite sure if my tastes will change.
I'm also open to any suggestions for other boats I should look at in the 26-30' range.
thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 09-08-2015
Over Hill Sailing Club

Re: looking for a beautiful yet fun to sail boat

Maybe a Pearson Triton or a Cape Dory 30, or an Alberg 30. All classic, seaworthy vessels.
SailingUphill likes this.

Alberg 35: With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the ship.
post #3 of 37 Old 09-08-2015

I would scratch off the Cheoy Lee from your list. Not a good resale value, iron keel, and costly deck repair. Trintella also has an iron keel - these old iron keels are too much trouble maintenance wise. And when they rust and swell - there is no economical way to fix it. H28 and H30 would be my choices, they have a better resale value as well, but don't expect to get your money back when you sell a restored boat. Not in this used boat market. I second Cape Dory as a good candidate for restoration. And very pretty boats as well.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato

post #4 of 37 Old 09-08-2015 Thread Starter

Thanks for the input. I have considered the the Alberg 29' and 30'. I also have in mind the Cape Dory 30 as a possiblity. I haven't had the chance to get a close up look at either one yet.
To KrissCross; My plan is to buy a boat that has all ready been restored. I don't have the skill nor patience to do a complete systems restoration. Thanks for the opinion on the Cheoy Lee.
I'm very happy to do maintenance and updates as needed but I don't want a fixer boat.
post #5 of 37 Old 09-08-2015

Nor'sea 27. Classic lines, looks like a lapstrake wooden hull but its fiberglass.

Nor'sea 27
Don't re-accommodate me, Bro
And the trees are all keep equal by hatchet, axe and saw...RUSH
I invented a new word today, plagiarism.
post #6 of 37 Old 09-10-2015
Dakota Lee

Location: Virginia, South Dakota, Washington State, Key West Florida

Dock

If you are considering a Cape Dory 30, recommend taking a look at the Cape Dory 28. I have both (CD 30 has wheel and CD 28 has tiller) and am torn between them. IMHO the Cape Dory 28 seems to have better storage and is a sweet boat. While both boats are currently in Virginia, I plan on moving the CD 28 to Key West and the CD 30 to Puget Sound over the next few years.

V/r

Pete
post #7 of 37 Old 09-10-2015
Less Senior Senior Member

Full keel and tender may not be some people's definition of fun. Pearson 30 in that size range. Bristol 34. I like my Pearson 35 and a Bristol 35, as well as the Tartan 34C.
Tartan 27.

Last edited by seaner97; 09-10-2015 at 10:40 AM.
post #8 of 37 Old 09-11-2015 Thread Starter

Thanks for all your advice. I'm leaning towards the Cape Dory. My preference is a tiller vs a wheel but if the right boat comes along i'd consider a CD 30. I can't even consider a boat over 30'. It wouldn't fit in the slip. I think there's plenty to choose from in the 30' and under category. Keep the great information coming.
post #9 of 37 Old 09-11-2015
Daniel - Norsea 27

A little expensive for many but here's a Falmouth Cutter for sale in your general area in the PNW.

Falmouth Cutter 22 Sookie For Sale | Art of Hookie

Daniel
1981 Nor'sea 27,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
“Who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little.”
-Paul Carvel
post #10 of 37 Old 09-11-2015
Dakota Lee

Location: Virginia, South Dakota, Washington State, Key West Florida

Dock

Being from Puyallup Washington and having started my sailing experience in Puget Sound I would say that the Cape Dory is a fine boat for the area. Most of my sailing experience on Cape Dories is in the Chesapeake Bay and I can attest that it’s been nothing but fun. I often get compliments for the looks of my Cape Dories which is almost solely based upon the Alberg classic design lines.

Despite the claim that Cape Dories are “tender”, I have found the boat to be very stable especially in heavy seas comparable to the Hunters and J-boats I have crewed. This past long weekend I had nine passengers doing an afternoon sail off Annapolis and nobody had any issues with moving around or the boat’s stability….heavy beam seas while motoring is a bit rocky but I’ve seen that in all boats.

I love my full keel but I’m also a Jeep driver so having transportation that is capable of conditions beyond what I would want to be out in is ok by me. I will say that backing up with a full keel is something that requires practice and with enough cross winds it can be interesting.

Per my earlier post consider the Cape Dory 28 instead of the 30 if one is available especially given your preference for a tiller. There are 30s with tillers but most came with a wheel and only a few have been converted. Recommend using the Cape Dory Web site which is a great source of ideas and can provide access to great deals and Cape Dory Sailors with a lot of experience (a Cape Dory 30 and Cape Dory 28 have been given up for free over the past few months, neither was a boat that required renovation, could be sailed as is, but both were candidate for tender care in terms of cleaning brightwork and cosmetics).

Last look into the Cape Dory 25D (not to be confused with a Cape Dory 25 which has an outboard, the 25D has an inboard diesel)….not too many of these but they have a great reputation within the Cape Dory community of being an ideal pocket cruising vessel…some have taken them around the world.

V/r

Pete

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: https://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-reviews/218314-looking-beautiful-yet-fun-sail-boat.html
Posted By For Type Date
Site SailNet Community | sailnet.com | BoardReader This thread Refback 09-15-2015 01:41 PM
looking for a beautiful yet fun to sail boat - SailNet Community This thread Refback 09-08-2015 07:15 PM