On the cusp of buy an 81 compac 23...I've got a few questions. - SailNet Community
Boat Reviews This forum has all types of boat reviews. Take a look, Dream, Agree, Dissagree.... but enjoy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 11-25-2015 Thread Starter

On the cusp of buy an 81 compac 23...I've got a few questions.

So I've been going back and forth with a guy selling a compac 23. He's actually the 3rd owner in a month. Someone was selling earlier in the month. A guy purchased it and told my friend whose boat was next door that he got a good deal and was going to flip it. The guy makes it to the end of the marina and the engine dies. He ends up selling it on the spot to a local guy at the marina that flips boat. The flipper painted the interior and got the engine running. The impeller was clogged. Now I come into the picture. We've negotiated the price down to $3900. The boat has a bimini, a roller furling jib, and a 2005 yamaha 4 stroke outboard. The interior seems to be in good condition. I see no water staining or mold under the cushions or the vbirth.

The boat does not come with a trailer. I've also yet to raise the sails and have a look. I guess I should do that as well!

I don't know the condition of the hull. My friend said the previous owner sailed it a lot. That's all I know really. Kinda looking for advice. All my experience is with trailer sailors made in the past ten years. A boat of this size and age is something new for me.

More pics can be seen here.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dsrphotography/

IMG_20151118_082354321_HDR by Dom, on Flickr

IMG_20151118_082752860_HDR by Dom, on Flickr

IMG_20151118_082957750_HDR by Dom, on Flickr

IMG_20151118_083355529_HDR by Dom, on Flickr

IMG_20151118_082926527_HDR by Dom, on Flickr

IMG_20151118_082757139_HDR by Dom, on Flickr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-25-2015
Freedom isn't free

Dock
Re: On the cusp of buy an 81 compac 23...I've got a few questions.

Um, that'd be a BARGAIN!

Compac boats are tough boats, well built too. You can't buy a Compac 16 for that price these days, even at that age!

Darn thing could be sinking and be worth that.

Carb rebuild kits are cheap insurance, if you can do the work yourself (otherwise expect to pay about $300 for someone to do it for you).
You get it running again, and you probably have an $1100 motor alone, since that looks like a 8HP yammer (10 years old is young for an outboard, mine is 32!).
Sure check the sails, but if they are all there, and generally white without huge holes that's a good start. new suit of sails for the boat is probably $1500 for brand name dacron, this is a cruising trailer sailor, so most buyers wouldn't want racing sails, and if you can recondition them, or if they are pretty clean, then you're golden.

No trailer is kind of a bummer, as it'd give you a way to inspect the bottom. But you can likely pickup a 22 foot sailboat trailer used for about $2000. It'd take some craiglisting to find one (and you'd have to drive I'm sure). That's only useful if you plan to trailer sail it of course, or sell it to flip it (flipping sailboats, you'd need to be some special kind of crazy).

I've always been partial to the Compac line. They look very ship-ly for their size, and yet still modern enough to be low(er) maintenance. Pictures seem to show it in really nice shape.

What's the boat worth? Probably $6500 (on a good day), but you'd have to find a C-23 buyer.. which is easier to do if you mated it up with a trailer... Sadly adding a trailer doesn't add much value as a package, maybe $1000. So top dollar for the boat is probably $7500 with a trailer. Good news is, it's a popular boat, with a loyal fan base, and they still make them!

Still, sounds like a bargain.

BTW, that VHF went out with parachute pants might get money for it from an historical electronics collector.

Freedom, a 1983 C&C 32 sailing Smith Mountain Lake, VA
post #3 of 6 Old 1 Week Ago

The guys down at Hutchins Boats (Compac) are great about parts, service and free advice. I have a 2002 SunCat and they did the centerboard trunk and bottom paint.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

post #4 of 6 Old 1 Week Ago
Master Mariner

I wouldn't put too much faith in a 15 year old outboard, so I'd consider the cost of another motor in the next year or so in what you pay for the boat.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #5 of 6 Old 1 Week Ago

Four year old thread gets revived. I'm guessing the OP made a decision about this boat.

S/V First Tracks
1985 Cal 33-2
post #6 of 6 Old 1 Week Ago
Freedom isn't free

Dock

Yeah, I'd revise my original take on the boat too... 1981 Compac 23, ain't worth much more than a 1981 anything. Today's cash its probably worth $4000 if its in perfect shape even with a trailer.

Freedom, a 1983 C&C 32 sailing Smith Mountain Lake, VA

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: https://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-reviews/228442-cusp-buy-81-compac-23-ive-got-few-questions.html
Posted By For Type Date
On the cusp of buy an 81 compac 23...I've got a few questions. - SailNet Community This thread Refback 11-25-2015 12:18 PM