Looking at a Catalina 28-2, 1997 - Page 2 - SailNet Community
Boat Reviews This forum has all types of boat reviews. Take a look, Dream, Agree, Dissagree.... but enjoy.

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 45 Old 11-29-2015 Thread Starter

Re: Looking at a Catalina 28-2, 1997

Olsen,
Yes, thanks for that, and yes, the very first boat we looked at was an Ericson 30+. Being newbies in the buying game, we lowballed the guy, who had spent 6 months pretty much full time over last winter redoing every hose, thru hull, re-wired, new rigging , you name it. We were dumb and we let it slip through our fingers (all thumbs) and it went for a price we should/could have paid. My wife is still kicking herself you know where, about that one. We have looked at a number of C&C 34's but almost every one had the crap raced out of it and needed expensive repairs or lacked too many other things like dodgers and dinghies and bells an whistles. We passed up on a Ranger 29 for 3000 dollars for instance, because after we added up all that it/we needed for cruising, the cost came to over 9000 dollars and then the Atomic four started blowing blue smoke. Since we had already passed up on a perfectly good Ranger 29 with a 3 cyinder kubota for 9500 dollars we passed on the cheaper one too.

I don't know how many Cat 30's we have looked at, but LOTS! Most of them have dished decks where the mast is stepped, and we all know what that means! There are a couple of Beneteau First 32's around and that boat kind of turns my crank. The first one we looked at has the original Volvo diesel MD7B with raw water cooling....need I say more? The second Bene had a nice new 3 cylinder Yanny but the ribs down in the bilge were cracking and the keel bolts were tightened so hard that the keel stub was being compressed and dimpling from the bolt head pressure deforming the washer plates. Plus the guy had used stainless 316 bolts which need checking ANUALLY according to Beneteau service bulletin by actually removing one bolt while still in the water....... I'm getting good at walking or running AWAY! Sorry to say.

We will keep looking as long as it takes, but GOD WILLING, I won't have to wait too much longer. If I was a young guy, I would have more patience, thinking my life was stretching out ahead of me into infinity. After retirement the end seems a little nearer and the time waiting a little dearer, if you get my meaning.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Peter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 45 Old 11-29-2015
Freedom isn't free

Dock

If the 28 foot LOA is your game, then you missed a couple of worthy boats to look at too, but given your goals, I'm still not sure how these fit.
There are 3 other boats I'd say might be worthy to consider...
J28
Beneteau 285
Laser 28
Hunter 272

Heck if any of them are contenders, then maybe
Tartan 28
Cape Dory 28

But given that you've discussed the Cat 30, then the 28ft LOA, probably isn't a stopping point.
As you can probably imagine there are plenty of advantages/disadvantages in each design, which is why others are saying, how are you going to use the boat. What features are a priority.

Freedom, a 1983 C&C 32 sailing Smith Mountain Lake, VA
post #13 of 45 Old 11-29-2015 Thread Starter

No, I am not set on a 28 by any means. We have no issues with a slip for up to 36 feet. Over 35 feet the annual overhead kicks in to be over our budget in retirement. I was not really considering 28 footers until we stumbled on the Catalina 28 Mk2. The 28 ft SHOOTOUT, was just to compare it to other 28 footers to see how it shook out. I thought it might be useful for others looking at 28's also.

My preference, my "I really want one" boat would be a C&C 32, a non cored, sturdy, graceful, fast enough boat and seaworthy too. Unfortunately, not many around that we could afford. There is one, but with a 13 HP Yanmar that I consider quite underpowered. Up here in the Pacific NW, you power probably 60% of the time if you want to get somewhere, so......
Cheers, Peter

post #14 of 45 Old 11-29-2015

You haven't mentioned a budget.. Or I missed it. I think the Catalina 34s &36s, esp MkIs are pretty good value, the MkIIs nicer but at a premium. Hard to beat as BC cruising boats.

C&C 36s are also worth a look, many in the sub 30K range. Also in Bc there are always some Peterson 35s that would give you all the performance you want, some of which were nicely crusified.

But it depends on your budget.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #15 of 45 Old 11-29-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangxr View Post
No, I am not set on a 28 by any means. We have no issues with a slip for up to 36 feet. Over 35 feet the annual overhead kicks in to be over our budget in retirement. I was not really considering 28 footers until we stumbled on the Catalina 28 Mk2. The 28 ft SHOOTOUT, was just to compare it to other 28 footers to see how it shook out. I thought it might be useful for others looking at 28's also.

My preference, my "I really want one" boat would be a C&C 32, a non cored, sturdy, graceful, fast enough boat and seaworthy too. Unfortunately, not many around that we could afford. There is one, but with a 13 HP Yanmar that I consider quite underpowered. Up here in the Pacific NW, you power probably 60% of the time if you want to get somewhere, so......
Cheers, Peter
Thanks for the additional info. Small world -- when we were shopping in 1994, we passed on a nice C&C 32 in Lake Union. Too pricy for us, but a nice boat nonetheless. Then we had to pass on a clean Yamaha 33 on Vancouver Island -- the price was very high and non negotiable.
Since those days I have done a long delivery on a Y-33, and it is right up there with the best of the Tartans, Ericsons, Hinterhoeller, and CS.

If possible, I would like to herd you toward an 80's Ericson 32-3 or the aft cabin 32-200 model.
BTW, once you get beyond about 32 feet, the "modern" aft cabin and aft head model interiors are nice. That's one feature that attracted us to our O-34.

Happy hunting,
Loren
Faster likes this.

Last edited by olson34; 11-29-2015 at 12:11 PM.
post #16 of 45 Old 11-29-2015 Thread Starter

Thanks Loren and Faster,

I will look for boats like these. Although the popular myth around here is; "It's a Buyers Market" there isn't a lot out there right now in our Budget range to buy.

Yeah, a Peterson 35 would definitely stoke my fire, (embers anyway) A friend in Vancouver really wanted to sell me his Spencer 34, but it was too racy inside for the Admiral. I really liked that one and it's still for sale?!?

If I could get the Bene First 32 with the ancient Volvo's price down far enough, I'd get it and re-engine with a Yanmar.
Cheers, Peter
post #17 of 45 Old 11-29-2015

No, the prop is not offset on the Catalina 28. And as already mentioned, she's "light fingered" under sail. Under power, it doesn't seem to require any correction, there's just the constant tug.

Not sure about the comment about the table stored in the up position and head injury hazard. The table is on a pedestal near the mast, and you're probably already aware of how it works. Walking forward of the mast, headroom diminishes for people over 5'9" or so, until you are standing in the v-berth area under the hatch. I'm 5'11", so going forward, I just put a hand on the mast support as a reminder to duck. I roam freely in the rest of the cabin.

I'll also mention that the icebox is very well insulated. Our's was retro-fitted with a refrigeration unit, but the pump was right under my v-berth and drove me nuts. I tore it out and now we use blocks of ice and they keep very well.

Our boat came with a cockpit table, so we took out the saloon table and I just got done cutting and binding new carpet for the entire interior without the hole for the table's pedestal base. Wow. I think it's the only 28 footer where you can take a break from sailing and go below to play soccer.

I looked at an Islander 28 before we looked at the Catalina. It's condition was not as nice as the Catalina and the mast plate was depressed into the cabin top...uh, oh. Aside from that, for how we use a boat, it wasn't nearly as nice as the Catalina. Cramped down below compared to the Cat, and engine access was not nearly as good. Everything on a boat is a compromise, but I much prefer the queen sized berth under our cockpit compared to the Islander's quarter berth. A bit of an apples/oranges comparison, but I think my wife would have been kicking my butt if I'd gotten the Islander. My apologies to Mr. Perry.
post #18 of 45 Old 11-29-2015 Thread Starter

Thanks again Siamese for all this good info.

I looked up Cat 309 sailing characteristics to get a criteria for the 28, and if you say that it is comparable to the 309 then it must sail pretty darn good!!

I'm sure Mr Perry won't be heartbroken by your critique on the Islander 28. I recently sailed on one of his "One Designs", originally called the "YONI" It sailed pretty well, but the owner had added a solid dodger of aluminum that converted it into a condominium, (it was already a motorsailer) and totally ruined the look of the vessel. You couldn't even see the telltales because the dodger roof was so extensive?? A fabulous vessel made of aluminum and then taken to Jespersens and a cherrywood boat built inside the aluminum hull. Looked fabulous, but overnighting on the beast with my wife, the interior sweated so much that we were drenched by midnight. Yes, we had the overhead hatch and port light opened as well. Luckily, we hadn't purchased it for 1.2 million??

Anyway, we will see what the C28 owner comes in with, probably today. He was not expecting to sell before Spring so a bit unprepared.
I wished that it had an autopilot which I consider to be essential for single handing while my wife is disabled. Would probably be expensive to retrofit?

The only other thing that bugged me was that the owner leaves the annual oil change until the Spring, letting the engine baste in that old contaminated oil. Why not change it now so that the engine is not marinating in acids mixed with the old oil for the duration of the winter season??? People are funny! I would also run some fresh water through the heat exchanger and leave it with a bit of fresh antifreeze/water mix in it over the winter as well.

Cheers, Pete
post #19 of 45 Old 11-29-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangxr View Post
Thanks....

If I could get the Bene First 32 with the ancient Volvo's price down far enough, I'd get it and re-engine with a Yanmar.
Cheers, Peter
Think you'll find the First 32 has a 36 foot interior crammed down to 32.. Very cramped below

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #20 of 45 Old 11-29-2015

Mine has the original Raymarine wheel steering type autopilot. The comparable, but better new unit from Raymarine is $1,100.00 at defender right now. It's not that difficult an installation for an owner to do.

The compass needs replacing on my unit, so I've been single-handing without the autopilot. The wheel clutch comes in mighty handy. If your wife is able to at least take the wheel now and then, that'd help.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: https://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-reviews/228762-looking-catalina-28-2-1997-a.html
Posted By For Type Date
Looking at a Catalina 28-2, 1997 - SailNet Community This thread Refback 11-27-2015 10:45 PM