Looking at a Catalina 28-2, 1997 - Page 5 - SailNet Community
Boat Reviews This forum has all types of boat reviews. Take a look, Dream, Agree, Dissagree.... but enjoy.

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 45 Old 05-15-2016

Re: Looking at a Catalina 28-2, 1997

Pete,
About your lament regarding the "race boats of today".....
Your boat was designed for Performance Sailing. It has a good sailing reputation whether you choose to cruise it or enter a race. Note that only when a boat is entered in a race and approaches the start line is it actually a "Racing Boat".
Of course there are some sail boats so minimally-equipped for overnighting that they are mean't to be used for mostly day sailing and racing.... but that's been true since folks went overnight camping in Lightnings.

So enjoy your boat and I hope that updating ancient electrical and plumbing systems does not bother you too much. It's part of owning an older boat. And, after a few years become decades, they are All old boats.... !

I have a friend that cruised and and did offshore races in a sister ship to yours back in the late 80's. Darned good boat, and be glad you did not buy the SJ-34 version, where the fit and finish was not as nearly good as yours.

This boat is in a whole 'nother league from the little Catalina you started out looking at.

Keep posting and toss up some pix when you have some to share.

Regards,
Loren
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 45 Old 05-15-2016 Thread Starter

Loren,

OK, thanks for the encouragement.

This boat has probably not been overnighted for years, and the anchor was basically a lunch hook. And here I am adding all this weight to the bow with a Rocna 15 and 50 ft of 5/16 chain, not to mention 200 ft of 3 strand nylon! In a way, it's a bit of a heartbreak to add all this weight forward but, to go cruising, I gotta have it. All the old guys on the dock are telling me to put the boat in this race, or that race, and we may do one, just to learn how much we don't know! But the focus is, for me and the Admiral to be back on the water, together, after 5 years of sea kayak camping all over Vancouver Island. She now has a congenital shoulder problem that precludes paddling.

I'm not sure how to post pics here but maybe there is a thread on how to do that, or you could explain it if not too much trouble.
Thanks Pete
post #43 of 45 Old 05-15-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangxr View Post

I'm not sure how to post pics here but maybe there is a thread on how to do that, or you could explain it if not too much trouble.
Thanks Pete
Pete.. best way to post pics is to create a (free) account at Photobucket.com, upload your pictures there and then simply copy and paste the IMG code link option (important) into the body of your post. No thumbnails, no links to click, the picture shows up directly and properly sized. Even lurkers can see them.

There are several 'share' options, be sure to use the IMG one.

There are other photo hosting sites as well, but PB works well for me.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

post #44 of 45 Old 05-15-2016 Thread Starter

Ron,
OK thanks, I'll give that a shot later, I'm just about to coat my newly calibrated dipstick with epoxy.

I just repaired my leaky gas tank and fuel petcock last week so I had drained all the fuel out anyway, I figured it was time for a properly calibrated dipstick.

Cheers, Pete

BTW, is it difficult to get a thumbnail pic into my message sidebar?

Last edited by mustangxr; 05-15-2016 at 02:54 PM.
post #45 of 45 Old 05-15-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangxr View Post
BTW, is it difficult to get a thumbnail pic into my message sidebar?
Top menu bar:
Tools
User CP
Edit Avatar
attach pic.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: https://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-reviews/228762-looking-catalina-28-2-1997-a.html
Posted By For Type Date
Looking at a Catalina 28-2, 1997 - SailNet Community This thread Refback 11-27-2015 10:45 PM