"New" Cal Boats Made in USA? - Page 5 - SailNet Community
Boat Reviews This forum has all types of boat reviews. Take a look, Dream, Agree, Dissagree.... but enjoy.

30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 48 Old 11-26-2016
Administrator

Re: "New" Cal Boats Made in USA?

That 43 footer is a lovely design. I think you are getting to the point that I was trying to make. Those older designs have many virtues that extend beyond the aesthetic. But as you know better than any of us amateurs, there is also a lot that can be done in terms of hull form, and rig proportion to improve motion comfort, ease of handling, liveability, and performance.

I doubt that the original Cal molds or plugs were stored in a manner that they can be used without a major restoration, and so instead of pouring that money into an out of date design, it would make a lot more sense to produce a hybrid that has the aesthetics and virtues of the old Cal's, but which takes advantage of the 40 years of progress that has occurred since they were originally designed.

I suspect that if Bill Lapworth were still with us, he would be the first to agree.

Jeff
bobperry and Shawn Wright like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 48 Old 11-26-2016
al brazzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jppp View Post
Cal 40 Sailboat Restoration Episode 1, Who can resist a FREE Cal 40? - YouTube

Schaefer Marine Cal 40 restoMod. Over the top restoration youtube series.
Interesting series to watch, thanks for posting. There "Resto" mods are interesting because they need to maintain class rules so are very careful what to "Mod" Of course this one was sponsored by Schaffer so the budget is "subsidized" if you will. Just like the "Resto" mods world in classic cars someone finances the build and when time to sell you get dimes instead of dollars. I don't mean to put such a negative drift to my comments that's what Boat ownership is all about at least with Cars you can just put them in a garage and wait. Still we have a donated Boat with probably $100K + invested, nobody talks budget on projects like this. 30 - 50K in sails alone so the whole thing serves the industry and makes viewers want to try this at home, he even suggests this is nothing you cant do yourself with a lot of friends. I don't know about you but I have a hard time finding "friends" who want to do the fun stuff like Sailing let alone restoring a classic Boat. Good luck with that.

Still I like to see this type of thing done because it DOES promote the Industry and the Sport, everything about that is good.
post #43 of 48 Old 11-26-2016

Bought a $250 1939 Ford 9N (tractor), spent upwards of $6k on her. Yeah it's worth about $2500. Boy oh boy does she shine and run like a top though.

post #44 of 48 Old 11-26-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by jppp View Post
Bought a $250 1939 Ford 9N (tractor), spent upwards of $6k on her. Yeah it's worth about $2500. Boy oh boy does she shine and run like a top though.
You got taken. My mom cuts her fields with an 1939 Ford 9N and just had a complete engine rebuild for less than $1000, parts and labour. Replacing the fluids was the most expensive part.

She has 200 acres, fences to be maintained, fire wood to be cut, fields she cuts herself, I would wager it would cost considerably more than $1000 to hire somebody to cut her fields.

I would consider the value when compared to buying $100 000 piece of equipment and spending the next 5 years working for the bank to pay off your tractor.

Last edited by Arcb; 11-27-2016 at 09:47 AM.
post #45 of 48 Old 11-26-2016
al brazzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcb View Post
You got taken. My mom cuts her fields with an 1939 Ford 9N and just had a complete engine rebuild for less than $1000, parts and labour. Replacing the fluids was the most expensive part.

She has 200 acres of fields she cuts herself, I would wager it would cost considerably more than $1000 to hire somebody to cut her fields.

I'm thinking you should take a course on tractor maintenance, or you could take out a mortgage on the farm, buy a $100 000 piece of equipment and spend the next 5 years working for the bank to pay off your tractor.
I know people who restore Farm tractors. Believe me its a lot more than some motor work.
post #46 of 48 Old 11-26-2016

New'er motor $900, new cast dash(good luck if you can find one) $1000, new rims and tires all around, generator and starter rebuilt, new wiring, Rear wheels pulled and new brakes and seals installed, all sheet metal and grill restored by a guy who works on Porsche, Ferrari and Lotus $700. He was a friend. Funny thing was, he asked what it all was. Told him it was a 1939 tractor. He responded, "People have them?". Ironically his paint job is magnificent. Problem is the factory paint was sprayed on while the finished tractor moved down the assembly line. And all a lovely Ford Tractor Gray.

1985 C&C 35 MK 3 #150
LIS
post #47 of 48 Old 11-26-2016

Restores them for what purpose? Farm work or shows?

Edit:2. They are very inexpensive tractors to maintain for farming purposes.

Last edited by Arcb; 11-27-2016 at 09:20 AM.
post #48 of 48 Old 11-26-2016
Catalina 400 MKII

to each his own...

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: https://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-reviews/270353-new-cal-boats-made-usa.html
Posted By For Type Date
"New" Cal Boats Made in USA? - SailNet Community This thread Refback 11-20-2016 08:55 PM