Recommendation for 16-20' Racer/Cruiser - Page 2 - SailNet Community
Boat Reviews This forum has all types of boat reviews. Take a look, Dream, Agree, Dissagree.... but enjoy.

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 34 Old 03-04-2017

Re: Recommendation for 16-20' Racer/Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterrat View Post
Dylan Welcome to the forum. Where do you plan to sail this vessel? Murry reservoir? If mostly sailing flat water an MC, C, and E scow are all a ton of fun to sail. They have a number of racing fleets around the Great Lakes but I am not sure if they are common anywhere else.
MCs are sick fun and fast, but there's nothing "cruiser" about them. MCs race with one person, or two on a heavy wind day. For day sailing we sometime putter about with three people on an MC, but that's the limit.

The C Scow is even faster and can totally handle four people. Again though, nothing "cruiser" about it. You sit on it, not in it.

An E Scow is a lotta boat. They can tow a water skier, but they're 28' and $$$

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
The Following User Says Thank You to Minnesail For This Useful Post:
dylanmcooper (03-04-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 34 Old 03-04-2017 Thread Starter

Dock

I had seen the Precision line of boats and decided against them, I really dont care for a cabin at all. I would much rather have that space for people in the cockpit. I wont have crane access either, so a swing or drop keel is really needed.
The RS Venture seems to be really close to what I want, but it is still out of my price range from everywhere I have looked.. The Vanguard Nomad has been around long enough that there have been a few sales out there within my price range, and may be a very viable option. I read a review by sailing world about it, they said it tacks on a wide angle, which is a big issue I currently have with my ComPAC. Does anyone have experience with this?
The MC Scow's seem to have the speed I want, but I didnt see any that had jibs or spinnakers on them. At least in the size range Im looking at. Without the other sails I think I would feel like I am just sailing a large sunfish..

I guess ultimately I am looking for a racer that can seat 4. Id settle for 3 if I absolutely had to, but id really like to introduce some of my school friends to fast action sailing all at once. Comfortable seating isnt a concern, I usually sit on top of the ComPAC while sailing anyways.
post #13 of 34 Old 03-04-2017 Thread Starter

Dock

Also, I think I already know the answer to this, but thoughts on Hunter 170? The size is perfect for me, just dont know how they handle.

post #14 of 34 Old 03-04-2017

Hobie 21SC...
Reynolds 21...if you can find one
Stilettos...if you find more wallet
post #15 of 34 Old 03-04-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanmcooper View Post
Also, I think I already know the answer to this, but thoughts on Hunter 170? The size is perfect for me, just dont know how they handle.
Biggest issue with the H 170 is how they're made.. not a conventional fg layup.

Problems may be only with extreme temps, but.....

https://forums.sailboatowners.com/in...l-help.161993/

btw.. the Holder 20 I posted earlier has a lift keel...
SHNOOL likes this.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #16 of 34 Old 03-05-2017
cdy

I second the Holder 20 - does have a cabin but very small , how about a Hobier 18 with wings?

Used to race FS's - have some of the same feelings - would pound in any type of chop going to windward - but along the same lines did like the Highlander - a little bigger and faster.

A viper - raced on one once - very breakable , have to be careful with it , where you tie it up waiting on the race , coming into a dock - things along those lines.
post #17 of 34 Old 03-05-2017

Have to agree with Stumble on the FS. Raced on them in a series once and found it horrible for many of the reasons he mentioned. Never again! Plus they're ugly. A Lightning would be responsive, comfortable for picnics or daysailing with lots of seating or lounging space and quick to rig and launch. There seem to be some around: Southeastern District and there should be some in your price range.
post #18 of 34 Old 03-05-2017 Thread Starter

Dock

So heres where I am at..

These would meet my capacity desire and keep everyone relatively dry while sailing, but may sacrifice up wind ability and overall speed:
Vanguard Nomad 17
Hunter 170 (or 18 to avoid the hull issues, though I live in warm climate and the 18 is hard to come by in my price range)
The RS Vision is out of my price range everywhere I find them, but that and the Lightning are runner ups.

These meet my capacity and I think would satisfy my speed/thrill expectation. With the sacrifice of getting people wet.
Topaz Argo (again a little out of my range but I love a lot of things about this boat. Single hand up to 4 people and it has a spinnaker..)
Hobie 18 with wings. Got to love the speed of a catamaran, and the wings are a good compromise to have seating. I do like a monohull for being able to have safe storage for a cooler, dry bag, portable speaker etc though.
post #19 of 34 Old 03-05-2017

Lightnings and Highlander's are both good boats. Showing a little age in the design, but not as much as the FS. If you are ok with rotomolded a RS Vision new is about $9k. But most of the RS line is sold to sailing schools and they tend to hold on to boats so finding used ones can be a problem.

My personal preferences keep showing because I really want to recommend a big beach cat like a NACRA or large Hobie, I just don't know if any are good for 4 people. But what about two Hobie 16's. You can pick them up for a song, and have one for you and one for your friends.

Greg
post #20 of 34 Old 03-05-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post

I really want to recommend a big beach cat like a NACRA or large Hobie, I just don't know if any are good for 4 people. .
Hobie 18, add wing seats for mature seating. Cooler strapped to the tramp just aft of the mast, a couple of wet bags strapped to the tramp for camping gear.

Light boat, capable of fast cruising in nasty or shallow conditions, a legitimate racing boat and can carry 4 people.

Last edited by Arcb; 03-05-2017 at 01:42 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: https://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-reviews/277602-recommendation-16-20-racer-cruiser.html
Posted By For Type Date
Recommendation for 16-20' Racer/Cruiser - SailNet Community This thread Refback 03-04-2017 11:39 AM