Discovery 55 - Page 2 - SailNet Community
Boat Reviews This forum has all types of boat reviews. Take a look, Dream, Agree, Dissagree.... but enjoy.

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 26 Old 01-10-2018 Thread Starter

Not quite sure what you're asking Jeff. And I didn't understand 2/3's of what you wrote . I wasn't looking for that technical of a reply. .
As to how I switch from a new discovery 55 to a Southerly 480..
Simple , I listened to people who were more knowledgeable than I was , that I've chosen to help guide me , in my selection , based on what I told them that my needs were .. it's a large cash purchase , a large investment .. but at this point I wish the hell I had never join this forum.
... if I offended you my apologies , and I will be studying your reply to increase my knowledge,
thank you for your time ,

... now let me figure out how to delete myself off this forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 26 Old 01-10-2018
Administrator

Re: Discovery 55

Braavos,

Please don't leave. As you have noted, the internet is a lousy conveyor of tone. At this point, I see no harm and no foul to all of the above and hope that you don't feel offended by my comments either.

But at the heart of it, it sounds like you are entering into buying a new boat and at the same time seem to be suggesting that you are in a learning process. Forums like SailNet really are good places to kick around ideas and ask questions that come up along the way. Many of us have experienced the kinds of things that you are likely to ask about and are quite willing to try to be helpful.

As to my perhaps too technical post, I am sorry if it is too technical to be of immediate use to you. Hopefully my explanation will make more sense to you if you discuss it with some of the people who are as you say "more knowledgeable than I was." All of us in this sport have had to learn from others at some point along the way, and places like this are also chances to give back to the sport.

I am hoping that you will stick around to teach and be taught, to ask questions, and describe some of your experiences and so on. Having ridden shotgun in my mother's boat building and importing company, I typically suggest that there are few things in sailing that require more knowledge and experience than buying and commissioning a new boat. Your process will include invaluable lessons in what to do and what not to do. Bob Perry's thread on the Carbon Cutters was a great example of a thread that was jamb packed with lessons on designing and outfitting a boat from scratch. But all boat decisions include the idiosyncratic elements of taste and preference and of course those will be uniquely yours.

Kumbaya and out,
Jeff
SanderO likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay

Last edited by Jeff_H; 01-10-2018 at 02:58 PM. Reason: spelling and syntax and one last thought
post #13 of 26 Old 01-10-2018

Kind of interesting that the other two boats the OP was considering in his original post are a masthead ketch and a masthead double headed sloop. Although new designs both tuck in at their sterns and have a fair bit of rocker although less than seen in the past.
Really like the southerly. Enjoy. Please donít leave the forum. JeffH is quite knowledgeable and generally gives more light than heat.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46

post #14 of 26 Old 01-10-2018
Learning the HARD way...

Perhaps @Braavos would find these videos helpful?

and regarding the Discovery 55;

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

Last edited by eherlihy; 01-10-2018 at 05:01 PM. Reason: "this" to "these"
post #15 of 26 Old 01-10-2018 Thread Starter

Thank you for the vedios ,
I have seen them , and have spoken to Distant Shores , over the internet. . I'm working with a broker , and contracted license captain. But thank you for your post.

As to a previous comment made by someone else, as to why I had looked at totally different types of boats , perhaps you would understand. That when you have a wife , who picks out boats because they are , " pretty " you're viewing selection varies , lol ,
Arcb likes this.
post #16 of 26 Old 01-10-2018

Braavos. Hope you stick around and fill us in on the new boat commissioning process. No doubt many would learn from it. I got the process started many years ago and bailed to buy a near new boat instead. Long story.

No doubt, the disconnect in tone and content with Jeff is the presumption on his part that most buyers of the boats you’re contemplating have a high level of understanding of boat design principals. I’m 100% certain that most do not. Nor do most luxury car buyers understand how cars are designed. Some aficionados in both camps do. It does, on the other hand, pay to listen to them.

I loved the idea that the boat picks you. About as non-technical as it gets, but there is a lot of truth to it. You will need to love your boat, for it to ever be worth it. Once the boat picks you, best to learn as much as you can about it.

One thing to look into a bit is how well Discovery/Southerly is doing financially. They make a nice product, but I’m not sure how many they sell. May be totally wrong, but I had the sense their combination was a life support move. Again, I could be wrong.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #17 of 26 Old 01-10-2018

Understand I gave the wife a short list too. Boreal, HR and Outbound. She picked the Outbound.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #18 of 26 Old 01-11-2018
Doesn't sail enough

To anyone that didn't follow Jeff's post - I highly recommend Bob Perry's book, "Yacht Design According to Perry." It goes through the technical stuff in relatively small digestible pieces, and intersperses it with great stories of how his designs of various eras came to be.

https://www.amazon.com/Yacht-Design-...rding+to+perry

Maybe if you ask him nicely he will sign it for you.

I'm sure there are good textbooks that Jeff and others can recommend but they may be quite dry and beyond the attention span of a lay audience.
SanderO likes this.

'78 Dolphin 31
post #19 of 26 Old 09-17-2018

I think that the Southerly 480 will be a great boat, but it has a much smaller state room but is more modern and has a lifting keel. However the Discovery 55 is hardly out of date. Just go to the World Cruising Club results of their passages and you will see that Discovery 55's seem to out pace most of the other boats in the same class except the Hylas 54. I have bought a Discovery 55 and I am very happy with the build quality, the later the boat the better they are, hull number 30 onwards is the best choice for a used boat, but like any boat the manufacturers just improve them as they fond better ways of doing things. The Discovery 55 VS the Southerly 480 is all about comfort an independence. The 55 hold 1300l of fuel and 1000l of water. the Discovery 55 is a bioat built for a job, i.e. blue water cruising and does it very well, there are no right or wrong answers only choices.

In a few years I can see a time when boats will have no gas on board and probably no generator and power will come from solar, wind, hydro and as a last resort the main diesel engine.
post #20 of 26 Old 12-29-2018
SWK

Jeff-H - Thank you for the great description regarding the important details between the hull updates for the boats listed. This is helpful for me as I am collecting information as well.

Best,

Scott

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in