Getting Back into the Game! Catalina Capri 14.2 - SailNet Community
Boat Reviews This forum has all types of boat reviews. Take a look, Dream, Agree, Dissagree.... but enjoy.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By clifgray
  • 1 Post By SailingUphill

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 05-08-2018 Thread Starter
OBX Sailor

Getting Back into the Game! Catalina Capri 14.2

So after selling my Catalina 27 last year and racing some J35s up in Boston for a while last season I'm getting back onto the water and thinking about a smaller day sailor type boat. I'm looking now at a 1983 Catalina Capri 14.2.

Going to meet the guy this weekend, I've probably looked at 6-7 14-17ft boats similar to this one over the last few weeks and this one certainly looks the most promising.

Any suggestions for what to inspect especially critically on these boats or just generally aspects of slightly older day sailors to be aware of?

The seller tells me:
1983 Catalina Capri 14.2 for sale. These are great performing boats that are easy, comfortable and fun to sail. You can find lots of information, pictures and videos about them with a quick Google search.

For dimension data go here: CAPRI 14.2 (CATALINA) sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

This one is the Mod1 version with a large cuddy that will hold lots of gear. The boat is very solid and in great shape. Comes with all sails and rigging. It is ready to sail. It has been garage stored for the last three years. Comes with trailer and cover.

The trailer is a 1983 Dilly with an elevated mast carrier. It has a new jack, bearing buddies and a tilt tongue for easier launching. Takes a 1-7/8" ball, 4 pin lighting connection. As seen in the pictures the trailer has a lot of stained paint and surface rust but there is no cancer. It is solid and strong and rated for over 800lbs (the boat weighs 340lb).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-09-2018

Re: Getting Back into the Game! Catalina Capri 14.2

We have one in the member pool and the most common comment I get is that they are a bit twitchy compared to other Picnic Boats. If you a seasoned racer that should be no big problem. The usual is all that comes to mind regarding checking for condition of sails, battens, soft spots, standing and running rigging along with ensuring that all fittings have good caulk and are tight.

If I understand correctly the Capri 14.2 is being removed from the member pool of boats since too many knock her over resulting in a higher number of rescue boat deployments compared to the other boats in the pool. Yes that's usually due to sailors who's opinion of their sailing abilities is a bit over inflated but does speak to the boats character.
post #3 of 8 Old 05-10-2018
Above 5 knots

Dock

Owned one for years...
fill the mast with a pool noodle.
Look at the supports on either side of the cubby. They are plywood, look for rot.
Check on or around the tabernacle.. check for checking and crazing, examine under it.

of course its trailerable... look at bearings, tires, safety chains, lights...

As for the sailing characteristics... its about as good as you can get for a production 14 foot centerboarder... I think its pretty stable for a 14 footer.
Centerboard vibrates like mad above 5 knots. Boat is a hoot downwind in a blow (slide back and lean out)...

To get point, throw a loop in the traveler line to prevent the block from falling to windward. Vang sheet downwind. Use the mainsheet for angle of attack and haul down. upwind.

Boat sails better than a vagabond 14 (holder 14), slightly better than a Lido14, similar to a Precision 15. With tweaks the boat can be a hoot in a blow.
I got tired of 45 minutes to launch, and fighting to stay dry... wanted a keelboat, that was only slightly more work, wound up with a Capri 22.

Freedom, a 1983 C&C 32 sailing Smith Mountain Lake, VA

post #4 of 8 Old 05-12-2018 Thread Starter
OBX Sailor

Thanks so much for all the advice. The boat ended up being in incredible condition and I was able to negotiate down to $1250. Always in the guys shed when it wasn't on the water. All original parts, no gel coat cracking, no sign of strain around the chainpalates, etc. He even redid the trailer wiring and greased up the axel before I got there. Good guy.

Just need to put some cetol on the teak, maybe a protective coat on the fiberglass, but I plan to be out sailing this week before any of that!

Am also thinking about doing something for the hatch cover as I hear they may be sketchy in the Mod 1 if you capsize...

Thanks again!
Attached Thumbnails
20180511_164436.jpg  
Sal Paradise likes this.
post #5 of 8 Old 05-12-2018
Above 5 knots

Dock

Helluva deal. Well worth the $1250.

post #6 of 8 Old 05-12-2018 Thread Starter
OBX Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingUphill View Post
Helluva deal. Well worth the $1250.
Pretty excited about it! It took a four hour drive from the coast of North Carolina to Raleigh to scoop it up and I'm trailering it back tomorrow but not much of a pain for a good boat at a good price.

If anyone else finds themselves considering one of these boats I found an awesome overview of what to inspect here: FAQ: What Should I Consider When Buying A C14.2? | SailingForums.com
post #7 of 8 Old 05-13-2018
Above 5 knots

Dock

If you find the Capri/Catalina 14 Talk | SailingForums.com capri 14.2 forum. Many of the posts (from quite some time ago) are from me, under "SHNOOL." I enjoyed that boat. Sadly I had to sell the boat quickly (for $850 cash no less) for a very ugly divorce, in order to pay rent. It was a very unfitting end to what was honestly a great boat. Someone got a helluva deal.

On a much happier note... my new wife when we were dating no less, gifted me cash to buy my first keelboat, my Capri 22.

I'm 4 boats farther down the road since then... but my Capri 14.2 still for me remains as hallmark of reigniting my sailing passion.
Arcb likes this.

post #8 of 8 Old 05-13-2018
Captain Obvious

Nice find!! That is a great deal. Good luck with her.

Sal Paradise - Armchair Circumnavigator

Senior Researcher - Dunning Kruger

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in