New To Sailing....Again - SailNet Community
Boat Reviews This forum has all types of boat reviews. Take a look, Dream, Agree, Dissagree.... but enjoy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 07-23-2018 Thread Starter

New To Sailing....Again

I'm new here, so please move this to the appropriate section if this isn't the right place to ask my questions.

My wife and I took sailing lessons about 10 years ago. We had a 16' Rebel that seemed a bit too "spirited" for the noobie to sailing that I was. It freaked me out when it really heeled over hard in a puff, so I thought I might get something more sedate. We ended up with a 14' Widgeon, but it didn't seem very stable, and was quite cramped, so we sold it too and quit sailing. That was about 7 or 8 years ago.

Since we're both retired now and have some free time, we thought we might give sailing another go. I, at least, would go through a sailing course again as a refresher, although it might be better to say it was starting fresh.

We would be day sailors, trailering to lakes nearby. I have a limited-range right arm so I'd want something that was easy to rig. We would like something with at least a small cabin so there's somewhere to get out of the sun for at least part of the day when it gets really hot. We might also like to do an overnight occasionally.

I've found a 16' Compac relatively closeby and wonder if that might be a good choice for us? I have no desire to "race"....I just want a boat that's stable, easy to rig and sail.

A second option might be a small, inexpensive (<$1000) boat that doesn't have a cabin, just to give sailing another go, and to see if it's really something we'd enjoy. I don't know what kind of "open" boat would fit the bill though....one that would be big enough to be stable, but not so "spirited" that it would be a white knuckle experience.

I'd rather get what we "think" would be the right boat the first time rather than the two-step method and have to go through selling/buying again. I'd say our price point is something under $4000. The Compac is listed on craigslist at $2500 and seems that might be a good way for us to get back to sailing.

I'm open to suggestions in general, opinions of boats, and recommendations.

Thanks for having me aboard and "Thank You" in advance for your input.

Lynn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 07-23-2018

Re: New To Sailing....Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake_Harley View Post
.... We might also like to do an overnight occasionally.

I've found a 16' Compac relatively closeby and wonder if that might be a good choice for us? I have no desire to "race"....I just want a boat that's stable, easy to rig and sail......

Lynn
It all depends on what you need and will be doing with it. The Compac 16 sounds just right for every need you mentioned, except maybe spending the night on it. It sounds like it would be pretty small and tight below for sleeping, unless you and your wife are both under 5'8".
post #3 of 15 Old 07-23-2018

From your post, a small keel boat would suit you nicely. You are not relying on quick reactions and shifting crew weight to keep the boat upright. The problem is that you would be talking about a much heavier rig to tow compared to a small sailing dinghy. If you want to do an occasional overnight, then that pushes the size up a bit. The Compac 16 you mention seems to fit you requirements, though it will not be a very good performing sailboat and very tight for overnight stays. Something a bit bigger with a swing keel or keel/centerboard. Would improve sailing performance and make overnighting more comfortable. Of course it depends on what your current vehicle can tow and how easy it is to rig.

S/V First Tracks
1985 Cal 33-2

Last edited by JimsCAL; 07-23-2018 at 09:18 AM.

post #4 of 15 Old 07-23-2018

I think you want to go bigger. I flipped an FJ 420 this weekend. Supposed to be able to right them easy enough but the mast was in the mud and it was an ordeal. Of course you need to not go out in small craft advisories too, choose your weather and not go when its dangerous. You can try out different boats renting from different places but it'd be hard to find a compac i'd think. Even over 20 ft I hear it will heel enough to be scary but be much less likely to flip.
post #5 of 15 Old 07-23-2018 Thread Starter

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I will take each one into consideration to find "my" boat.

I have always been drawn to small things, cars, boats, motorcycles, etc. Well, another small pocket cruiser (more like watch pocket sized) has come up on craigslist. It's a West Wight Potter 15. I don't know how it ever appeared in my searches since it was listed so poorly and in the wrong category. It is said to "need some repairs" and I'm waiting for a reply from the seller so I can ask some questions before I'd even consider going for a look. It's located much closer than the Compac 16 I have been considering, but considering what I've found through searches at just a foot difference in length the WWP looks way smaller than the Compac.

The consideration continues........... Keep the replies coming. I appreciate all of them.

Lynn
post #6 of 15 Old 07-23-2018
One of None

You are not comfortable on a sailboat if you made it very clear in your own statements. You're doing/trying it again? And again, you're going to be uncomfortable when it heels.

"Stable" to the novice doesn't belong in the same sentence as sailboat.

I bought and ODay 30 over 10 years ago it took me almost 2 years to get used to the heeling of a larger boat. But as I spent more time sailing and more time fighting my son to let me handle the boat instead of him, I was soon able to "dip the rail" with the best of them.

My suggestion, spend some time on rented boats or boats of friends or join a Sailing Club or Yacht Club and get experience without buying a boat

"Next best thing to not having a boat? The knowledge from having one!" Denise, Bristol PA, On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My last project!
post #7 of 15 Old 07-23-2018

For whichever boat you are considering, do an internet search for the name of the boat (ex.:Compac 16). Click on the link to Sailboatdata.com.

Look at these figures: Sail Area/Disp, and Bal./Disp.. As a very rough rule of thumb, boats with lower Sail Area/Disp and higher Bal./Disp. are more likely to behave in a manner that is to your liking.

Keep in mind: Heavier boats will be less affected by the weight of the people aboard, so they will feel more stable at anchor. However, they will have more sail area to counteract their weight. The sailor can usually choose to reduce the sail area by reefing. This will reduce the heeling effect of the wind. Look for a boat with sails that can be reefed or furled. Properly trimmed sails also have reduced heeling force. Many small daysailors do not have enough trim control, forcing the skipper and crew to compensate with awareness/vigilance, technique, and conservative sailing.
post #8 of 15 Old 07-23-2018 Thread Starter

Thanks, jwing! Helpful info for comparing boats. I looked up the ComPac 16 that I've had in mind and found it to have sail/disp ratio of 15.04, and a bal/disp of 40.88. Those seem like the kind of numbers you're referring to, but maybe you could comment with a suggestion of what numbers might be in a good range for a well mannered, boat?

Another design that had caught my eye that I might look for is a Catalina Capri 22'. It's S/D number is 21.71 which seems like a low number to this novice, but the B/D number is also what seems rather low at 29.56.

Thanks!

Lynn
post #9 of 15 Old 07-23-2018

S/D = 22 is not considered low. Remember, these numbers are just clues, they don't tell the whole story. For more information about using numbers to predict sailboat performance, see this: Sail Calculator Pro v3.54 - 3200+ boats

My best advice to you is to find boats for sale in your area, then go sail on the ones that you are legitimately interested in. That'll tell you what you need to know. Also, this forum tends to get more argumentative than helpful. Try sailboatowners.
post #10 of 15 Old 07-23-2018 Thread Starter

Thanks again!

Lynn

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in