Beneteau 32s5 as for a beginner - SailNet Community
Boat Reviews This forum has all types of boat reviews. Take a look, Dream, Agree, Dissagree.... but enjoy.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By danvon

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 10-24-2018 Thread Starter

Beneteau 32s5 as for a beginner

Hi everyone
I have just finished my day skipper course, and have almost no previous sailing experience (150 nm in the mediterranean with an experienced skipper)
One of the guys in our local marina is selling his Beneteau First 32s5 at a VEry attractive price. She seems to be in good condition and ready to sail.
My concern is: is this boat good for a beginner ? Or is too big to start with?
Planing to do some coastal sailing in local waters. Also is she good for single handed sailing (has autopilot and all sheets in the cockpit) ?
Any advice will be highly appreciated !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-24-2018

Re: Beneteau 32s5 as for a beginner

Take some friends with you for the starting sails.
Jump, go for her...
post #3 of 7 Old 10-24-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegisteredUser View Post
Take some friends with you for the starting sails.
Jump, go for her...
Thank you! It sounds very positive and i like that ))

post #4 of 7 Old 10-24-2018
Administrator

The deep draft version of the Beneteau First 32s5 was a very nice boat that sailed very well. They were relatively fast and sailed well in a broad range of conditions. Beneteau's 'First' series were better built than the Oceanis and 'Number' series and generally were relatively well built. The interior was a Philpipe Starck and was nicely laid out and very nicely finished. The berths are a little short as I recall.

You don't say where you are located, but these tend to be good boats for a venue with predominantly mid-range winds (10-15 knots) and are not so good in lighter winds. The Volvo diesel in the early version of that boat is not the most reliable and the parts are expensive.

As a single-hander, these boats had a fractional rig which is much easier to single-hand than a masthead rig, and the stock design had a tiller which is also much easier to single-hand than a wheel steering (once you get used to using a tiller extension) on a boat this size. This boat sails pretty well under the mainsail alone which makes it easier when in close quarters or the wind suddenly gets to be too much for the sail plan. Make sure that you have a fast and reliable way to reef the mainsail, ideally from the cockpit.

If this is a shoal draft version, rather than the deep keel, and if the boat has a wheel, this is probably a pretty poor choice for what you want to do. The shoal draft version was pretty tender and unforgiving. Regarding the wheel, the boat does not have a 'T' cockpit so its hard to get around the wheel, and the cockpit layout does not work well for single-handing with a wheel since all of the control lines, traveler and winches are at the forward end of the cockpit and are way out of reach from the location of the wheel.

This boat is a little on the large size as a platform to learn to sail, especially to learn to single-hand but not excessively so. These are somewhat physically demanding boats to single-hand (in their stock set up the winches are a little undersized and the line loads pretty high) so it may not be the best choice if you are not physically fit. There are some workarounds for those shortcomings that you can learn over time.

It is very important to have a boat of this age, professionnally surveyed since this boat is old enough to have serious problems. Beneteaus of this period are at a point where they may need keel bolts and the earliest versions of this boat were built at a time when Beneteau was notorious for extremely serious blister problems.

I would agree with the others that its important that you cultivate a friendship with someone who is an experienced sailor who is looking to get out on the water. They can help you learn much more quickly and safely.

Good luck,
Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay

Last edited by Jeff_H; 10-24-2018 at 08:50 PM.
post #5 of 7 Old 10-25-2018 Thread Starter

Thank you Jeff!!
This is a shalow draft version with steering will, which as you correctly mentioned is not very comfortable to move arround.
She is a 1990 and had blister issues which was fixed in 2016. I Hope blisters will not appear again, but i would make a survey for sure if a decide to purchase it. Your prediction about the keel bolts was correct, and they dont look good (picture attached). But i read that it is not an expensive job to replace them.
There is also a twin kill Hunter Horizon 23 with outboard engine for sell and its 5 times cheaper)) may be its a better option to start with ??
Thank you !
Attached Thumbnails
20181022_165613_1540446867500.jpg  
post #6 of 7 Old 10-28-2018

Go for it!

40 years ago I sailed a 14 foot one design on a local lake. Later in life I had a 17 foot Bayliner with a 70 hp outboard. Then, 6 years ago, I decided I wanted a Ďrealí boat. I bought a 46 foot powerboat. 3 summers ago I convinced my wife that I wasnít wasting enough money on boats and bought a Mirage 35 sailboat. I love both boats and singlehand each.

Clearly, Iím not very bright! But if I can do it you can too!

I am what I am and thatís all what I am - Popeye the Sailor
post #7 of 7 Old 10-31-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorgr View Post
Thank you Jeff!!
This is a shalow draft version with steering will, which as you correctly mentioned is not very comfortable to move arround.
She is a 1990 and had blister issues which was fixed in 2016. I Hope blisters will not appear again, but i would make a survey for sure if a decide to purchase it. Your prediction about the keel bolts was correct, and they dont look good (picture attached). But i read that it is not an expensive job to replace them.
There is also a twin kill Hunter Horizon 23 with outboard engine for sell and its 5 times cheaper)) may be its a better option to start with ??
Thank you !
Those two boats are not apples and oranges different, they're apples and freight trains. It sounds like you're not sure exactly what you need/want.

Getting the wrong boat and switching after you realize it is going to be $$$$. I'd suggest you do a bunch of chartering and sail a variety of boats before taking the plunge. The experience will also help you to get a better handle on what to look for, both what you want and what sorts of things can go wrong/how they should work.

Good luck and welcome!
jephotog likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in