Niagara 35 too slow? - and - surveys of cored hulls - Page 2 - SailNet Community
Boat Reviews This forum has all types of boat reviews. Take a look, Dream, Agree, Dissagree.... but enjoy.

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 Old 02-13-2019 Thread Starter

Re: Niagara 35 too slow? - and - surveys of cored hulls

Ooof, that J/36 needs a lot of work, way more than I could accomplish in a few weekend trips. But fast is fun. Olson 34 and Express 34 are high on my list if I decide to make going fast a priority. They're hard to find, though. I like the J/32 as a cruise-able/live-able fast boat, too, but out of my budget.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 Old 02-13-2019

I don't have much to add to this thread, but I had a friend with a Cascade 36. These should be more available on the West coast. That thing sailed and handled much better than I expected, was good looking (to me), seemed to be strongly built, and had a very usable interior. I'd guess the PHRF is probably 130-150 range. I'm sure the price is in the ballpark of a Niagra 35 or Bristol 35.5.

Mark

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Current boat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Previous boat
post #13 of 20 Old 02-14-2019
Remember you're a womble

That J/36 doesn't look too bad, set of cushions and it'd look a lot less like a project boat.

Orange Crush
1974 C&C27 MkII

post #14 of 20 Old 02-14-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulinVictoria View Post
That J/36 doesn't look too bad, set of cushions and it'd look a lot less like a project boat.
They even removed the fold-up leaves on the salon table and the ones from the galley, along with main bulkhead door. (To save weight?) At least they left the door to the head.
post #15 of 20 Old 02-14-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulinVictoria View Post
They even removed the fold-up leaves on the salon table and the ones from the galley, along with main bulkhead door. (To save weight?) At least they left the door to the head. Price is right (for an asking price...)
post #16 of 20 Old 02-14-2019

My friend is a long time Niagara 35 owner. Sailed on it a bit. The boat is great for coastal cruising and limited offshore work. Boat never intended to be a racer and is sluggish in under 10 knots. Lots of wetted surface with not a lot of rig. Mark Ellis the designer also designed the Nonsuchs. Prior to that he worked for C&C, Hunt, Little Harbor, and others. Cutaway full keel is not that nimble. Find an Express 34. Great boat and good in light air. Forget the J-36. Every one I've seen has a wet deck and very wet transom.
Attached Thumbnails
n35.jpg  
bajaking likes this.
post #17 of 20 Old 02-15-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajaking View Post
Which is also why, paulk, I haven't looked at a C&C 35. Not many C&Cs here, though occasionally one pops up. No 35s that I can recall.
I stand corrected:
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/boa...814595195.html

Has potential. That giant topside stripe is...modifiable. Something about C&C cabin finishes always gives me a cheap vibe. But that can be overcome. No doubting it's a lot of good-saiiing boat for the cash.
post #18 of 20 Old 02-15-2019

Buy the boat youíll plan to use most of the time. If you occasionally race, I would not make those characteristics a priority. Iíve sailed the Niagara 35 Encoure and liked it quite a lot. You said youíre really looking for a solid, liveaboard cruiser and no doubt it fits the bill.
flyrod and bajaking like this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #19 of 20 Old 02-16-2019
Kynntana (Freedom 38)

I don't know anything about the Niagara's performance. For another perspective on "slow", I was also looking for a cruiser/racer. Mine is rated 149, weighs 10 tons, really sucks in light wind and doesn't point as well upwind as my competitors with its small self-tending jib. I love it. I've had a blast racing it on SF Bay and beyond.
chef2sail and bajaking like this.
post #20 of 20 Old 02-17-2019
Old enough to know better

I have a friend who has a Niagara 35 and have sailed on it a few times. She seems to move OK in light wind and really well in medium. I really like the layout, but it is a bit weird walking through the sleeping quarters to get to the living area. The other thing is it does not seem to have great ventilation since the head partitions off the the salon from the companionway. She seems well made and sturdy. Do have a thorough survey and I don't think a cored hull is that big of a deal and really makes a difference in strength and performance.

1976 C&C 33
Project boat, lots of work to be done!
The Following User Says Thank You to miatapaul For This Useful Post:
bajaking (02-17-2019)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in