center cockpit boat around 45 ft - SailNet Community
Boat Reviews This forum has all types of boat reviews. Take a look, Dream, Agree, Dissagree.... but enjoy.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By SV Siren

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 02-18-2019 Thread Starter

center cockpit boat around 45 ft

I am looking to get a center cockpit boat for blue water cruising but not sure what have been checking out the Columbia 45 center cockpit any idea
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-18-2019

Re: center cockpit boat around 45 ft

Hey desert1 , I don't know anything about the C45 and I don't know anything about the build quality .

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/columbia-45

I am familiar with the Westsail 42 center cockpit , the Westsail 43 is a aft cockpit but they are both the same hull .

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/westsail-42

Westsail 28 , Patricia A
post #3 of 6 Old 02-18-2019
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markwesti View Post
Hey desert1 , I don't know anything about the C45 and I don't know anything about the build quality .

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/columbia-45

I am familiar with the Westsail 42 center cockpit , the Westsail 43 is a aft cockpit but they are both the same hull .

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/westsail-42
Sorry, but not even slightly.
One is a double ender with a full keel and the other a fin keel, skeg hung rudder and a transom boat.
The Columbia was fairly lightly built as a weekender and coastal boat, and the W42 heavily built, for ocean crossings, I believe.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone

post #4 of 6 Old 02-19-2019

Check out an Island Packet 465, Amel Mango, or Super Maramu.
post #5 of 6 Old 02-19-2019
1968 Columbia 50

Doing a google search will yield a ton of postings on forums. I also came across this write-up while doing a search. It seems there is a perception on these boats, and then there is a slightly different reality...

https://whichsailboat.com/2014/10/05...bia-45-review/
jephotog likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
S/V Siren 1968 Columbia 50
post #6 of 6 Old 02-19-2019
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyCringle View Post
Check out an Island Packet 465, Amel Mango, or Super Maramu.
I haven't sailed one, but the big turn off to me about the Amel Super Maramu is the steering set up. I can't imagine doing a long, hard, heavy weather watch steering that wheel, up against a bulkhead. And being off center it could make docking stb side to more difficult, and make looking @ the jib's luff when close hauled pretty difficult.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in