Pearson 30 vs C&c - SailNet Community
Boat Reviews This forum has all types of boat reviews. Take a look, Dream, Agree, Dissagree.... but enjoy.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 04-28-2019 Thread Starter

Pearson 30 vs C&c

My family and I are looking to move up from our 83' mac222 to a larger cruise/racer thinking 30' range. We sail on lake champlain and would like to extend our overnights to long weekends or a week or two. Currently we are eyeballing a Pearson 30 vs a C&C 30 both 1973. Both appear to be decent vessels for their price with many updates and decently cared for. From my research it seems like the better sailing boat is the C&C but the more comfortable is Pearson? I have never sailed either so any input or opinions would help greatly. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-29-2019

Re: Pearson 30 vs C&c

Two pretty comparable boats. Since you are looking at boats over 40 years old, condition is everything. Does either have a diesel vs an Atomic 4 gas engine? Headsail roller furler? Those would be things that might sway me one way or the other.
jephotog likes this.

S/V First Tracks
1985 Cal 33-2
post #3 of 11 Old 04-29-2019

Condition, condition, condition.

post #4 of 11 Old 04-29-2019 Thread Starter

I have not inspected either boat yet. I plan to this week. Both vessels have been well maintained and are in comparable shape. I am more interested to know how others who have floated or sailed in them found their experience. They both have atomic 4 both motors were running and serviced at the beginning and end of last season. Pearson has roller furling, dinghy, sail covers too much to list. Both have several sails. One owner over last 25yrs. C&C I have less info but it has had tiller moved towards aft and lightweight rudder installed as well as traveler moved forward. No furling at least from what I can see from pictures. From my reaserch It sounds to me like the Pearson is a more tender boat than the C&C. And Pearson has a better (more usable for sleep) designed cabin area. We are looking for something with Furling sails but not a deal breaker. I am more interested in how they perform and are to be on with a family of four. Thanks for anyone's opinion and input.
post #5 of 11 Old 04-29-2019

I would look at the cost of a boat with all the features you want. If you want roller furling, hold out for a boat that has it. What seems like simple upgrades like RF or self-tailing winches can cost $4k to upgrade. I would hold out for a boat with diesel, roller furling and self-tailing winches.

If I were racing I would lean towards the C&C but for a family boat I think the Pearson if it had better accommodations.

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 11 Old 04-29-2019

What can I say, I love my Pearson.
post #7 of 11 Old 04-30-2019
cdy

Have raced against both and currently own a 78 Pearson 30 - both sail well - mine still has the Atomic inboard but not working but had an outboard with a 9.9 on the stern - which works well - will deep 6 the inboard next year for more storage- go with the one in the best shape - don't know the prices - bought mine - the mainsail , headsail ( RF) and the outboard are 3 years old - boat is in good shape and paid $4K for it - ( Florida)
post #8 of 11 Old 05-01-2019

I'm giving away (as in free) a 1973 C&C 35 just near you in Liberty Landing Marina as I moved to California (and she has a rolling furler).
post #9 of 11 Old 05-03-2019 Thread Starter

We went with C&C it was in much better condition.
post #10 of 11 Old 05-03-2019

Thanks for the update. Good luck with the boat.

S/V First Tracks
1985 Cal 33-2

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in