Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 39i - Page 2 - SailNet Community
Boat Reviews This forum has all types of boat reviews. Take a look, Dream, Agree, Dissagree.... but enjoy.

20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 Old 05-06-2019

Re: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 39i

Thanks for these well written write ups. Sounds and looks like a great boat for cruising!

Flat water with 25 knots? Waves must have had a very short fetsh and weren't blowing very long I would imagine.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 Old 05-06-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
Thanks for these well written write ups. Sounds and looks like a great boat for cruising!

Flat water with 25 knots? Waves must have had a very short fetsh and weren't blowing very long I would imagine.
Sorry, I wasn't very clear, the lighter wind examples were on a different day. The day we were out in 25kts the seas were 4-5 ft.

I should also note that my knot meter agrees with my GPS in still water, so I think the calibration must be pretty close.
Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
SanderO likes this.

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura

Last edited by SchockT; 05-06-2019 at 11:19 AM.
post #13 of 20 Old 05-08-2019

Sun odyssey’s are beautiful boats ... I have the slightly larger big brother .. 09 sun odyssey 44i these boats are tanks in heavy seas and they fly when the wind picks up. I was doing 6.8 knots with just my jib sail no main when I first got her due to getting a a new sail made...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Minnesail likes this.

post #14 of 20 Old 05-09-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudds67 View Post
Sun odyssey’s are beautiful boats ... I have the slightly larger big brother .. 09 sun odyssey 44i these boats are tanks in heavy seas and they fly when the wind picks up. I was doing 6.8 knots with just my jib sail no main when I first got her due to getting a a new sail made...

Nice boat!

My wife and I were lazy-sailing with just the jib, broad reaching to our weekend getaway...the wind built to 18kts apparent and we found ourselves doing an effortless 7kts!

We were motoring our way home last weekend and our friends were powering along beside us in their Ocean Alexander 44 powerboat...I put the hammer down for fun and we hit 8.5kts! I'm sure he was burning at least double the fuel we were to match us!

MarkofSeaLife likes this.

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura
post #15 of 20 Old 22 Hours Ago Thread Starter

After a bit more time out on the water I thought I would update my impressions. We participated in a fun race up to our club's outstation over the weekend. While for the most part I have been pretty happy with the boat's performance, light air downwind is pretty painful. I was testing out an A1 asymetric spinnaker, but we still struggled. The A1 is a reaching cut, and we had great difficulty digging as deep as we needed to go. Of course it didn't help that we are dragging a 3 blade fixed prop around, and the bottom is slimy because I havent had time to dive the boat recently.

We had some good breeze and a beat home. We were seeing some good boatspeed, but we could not point as well as the other boats in our class. I can chalk much of that up to superior sails on many of the boats. I also found it very difficult get the boat back up to speed out of the tacks. She was very slow to accelerate out of the tacks, so we lost a lot of distance to weather getting up to speed before going to full point mode.

While our racing performance was a bit disappointing to me, it is to be expected considering we are not race prepped at all. I have no doubt there is much more performance to be gained.

In the meantime, we may not have won the races, but we arrived in style and partied in comfort! How many race boats can boast a dedicated Keg Locker!

RegisteredUser and rbrasi like this.

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura
post #16 of 20 Old 22 Hours Ago

I think the proportions and styling of the 39i make it one of the best looking boats in the category. It would be my forever boat. Hope you get a feathering prop for her. Very envious.
post #17 of 20 Old 20 Hours Ago

Great looking boat, and I'm glad you're happy with her!

I did bow last year for a gentleman who raced his (liveaboard!) 50 foot Beneteau Oceanis. He had an asym on it, and you really needed to sail hot to get decent speed out if it. I think boats like that really want a symmetric spinnaker (and platoon of folks) to go well downwind.
post #18 of 20 Old 17 Hours Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiahblatz3 View Post
Great looking boat, and I'm glad you're happy with her!

I did bow last year for a gentleman who raced his (liveaboard!) 50 foot Beneteau Oceanis. He had an asym on it, and you really needed to sail hot to get decent speed out if it. I think boats like that really want a symmetric spinnaker (and platoon of folks) to go well downwind.
Yes certainly symetrics are much better at running, but as you know, flying a symetric is a lot more work, and much more intimidating for short handed cruisers.

It is a lot more challenging to sail deep with an asymetric, but it is much easier if it is cut for deeper angles. I was going to buy an AP (all purpose) asymetric, but this A1 was such a good deal I couldn't pass it up.

The reality is if we weren't racing we wouldn't have been trying to maximize vmg by digging deep. If we were cruising we would have been power reaching back and forth and having a blast!

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura
post #19 of 20 Old 1 Hour Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchockT View Post
After a bit more time out on the water I thought I would update my impressions. We participated in a fun race up to our club's outstation over the weekend. While for the most part I have been pretty happy with the boat's performance, light air downwind is pretty painful. I was testing out an A1 asymetric spinnaker, but we still struggled. The A1 is a reaching cut, and we had great difficulty digging as deep as we needed to go. Of course it didn't help that we are dragging a 3 blade fixed prop around, and the bottom is slimy because I havent had time to dive the boat recently.

We had some good breeze and a beat home. We were seeing some good boatspeed, but we could not point as well as the other boats in our class. I can chalk much of that up to superior sails on many of the boats. I also found it very difficult get the boat back up to speed out of the tacks. She was very slow to accelerate out of the tacks, so we lost a lot of distance to weather getting up to speed before going to full point mode.

While our racing performance was a bit disappointing to me, it is to be expected considering we are not race prepped at all. I have no doubt there is much more performance to be gained.

In the meantime, we may not have won the races, but we arrived in style and partied in comfort! How many race boats can boast a dedicated Keg Locker!

That’s a fantastic idea now I know what to do with that eight person life raft I have an on my 44i...I think I could fit two of them in there. Haha

post #20 of 20 Old 32 Minutes Ago

Thanks for this writeup- We have a lot in common about what we prefer in sailboats and I have looked at this boat (there is one for sale here in MDR). My wife REALLY loved the interior, which is the biggest selling point. My question always is, "can I compete in the local Cruiser Class races?" and your info is very enlightening. Must....Have....feathering/folding....prop....

1968 Cal 2-30
Sandpiper 2
MDR

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in