Review Your Own Boat - Page 2 - SailNet Community
Boat Reviews This forum has all types of boat reviews. Take a look, Dream, Agree, Dissagree.... but enjoy.

20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 44 Old 01-04-2020 Thread Starter

Re: Review Your Own Boat

Minni... that sounds awesome! except that monster head sail!

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 44 Old 01-04-2020
bell ringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
You're being too hard on yourself, Don...

Mark
No or it would have been “deep draft slab beef owner”

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 44 Old 01-04-2020

My review is literally in the July August 2010 edition of good old boat magazine, pages 10-13. granted done by another person.....but fits it pretty well.

1985 Jeanneau Arcadia. of which there is around 8-12 of 300 or so in North America.

Now to figure out how to post jpg of the pages.....

marty

She drives me boat,
I drives me dinghy!

post #14 of 44 Old 01-04-2020

Sabre 34 owner posted earlier about his boat.
I think my 34-2 is similar.
The cabin table on the bulkhead is very big and very heavy.
I will never use it.
Its good material for a make shift rudder, but is otherwise just useless weight.
Its designed for weekend use.
If i had a land base it would not be on my boat

There may be things on a lightish boat that just dont make sense for a cruising boat.
Storage is another thing. Get inventive
post #15 of 44 Old 01-04-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegisteredUser View Post
Sabre 34 owner posted earlier about his boat.
I think my 34-2 is similar.
The cabin table on the bulkhead is very big and very heavy.
I will never use it.
Its good material for a make shift rudder, but is otherwise just useless weight.
Its designed for weekend use.
If i had a land base it would not be on my boat

There may be things on a lightish boat that just dont make sense for a cruising boat.
Storage is another thing. Get inventive
In the days before chart plotters and Ipads, I found the table useful to fully lay out a chart and plan routes. it's more roomy than the chart table, which even seems unnecessary nowadays.

Now, as you say, it's for weekend use..or whenever I have guests come by, I'll use it as a buffet table.
post #16 of 44 Old 01-04-2020

Jeanneau 39i

We have had Azura for a bit more than a year so we are still in the honeymoon stage, and have so far had one 2 week long trip, and many weekends and overnight trips.

We still love almost everything about the boat;
-Really nice sailing qualities, albeit somewhat under powered in light wind
-good tankage for our purposes
- good battery capacity (needs more charging options though)
-huge amount of storage...we have yet to come close to filling it
-nice sized L-shaped galley with lots of storage
-huge head with separate shower and linen cupboard
-2 large Berths with room to sprawl out, and enough headroom in the v-berth to sit up straight in bed.
-huge open cockpit that is great for entertaining, and short handed sailing. It is easy to sail the boat without disturbing any non-sailor guests that may be on board.
-overall build quality seems very good for a production boat. Mill work all fits nicely and looks good. There is lots of synthetic laminates used, but it appears very durable, particularly the laminate cabin sole, which I suspect will age better than real wood. (Time will tell I guess)
-all the wiring is well labelled and harnesses are easy to access, and are secure and protected from chaffing.
-plumbing is also neat and tidy, done in colour coded PEX tubing.

There are a few things that I am not crazy about...

The chart plotter in the cockpit is mounted low on the end of the table pedestal so it is difficult to see from anywhere but directly behind the helms. Even then you sometimes have to bend over a bit. It would have been better on an elevated pod that could be swiveled to face the more comfortable outboard helming positions.

The transom slap can be quite loud...an unfortunate consequence of the beam that makes the boat so roomy! I have some ideas to reduce that.

The instrument panel is very basic...only one spare switch, and no easy way to add more. Digital volt meter and tank levels seem to work fine, but no ammeter at all! The panel can display amp draw, but Jeanneau did not see fit to install a shunt!

Engine panel is also basic...no temperature or pressure gauges, just idiot lights! I would prefer to have a bit more data on how my engine is running, and perhaps catch a problem before a light comes on!

The fridge is cavernous, which is great, but the freezer compartment is small. It would have been nice to have more freezer space. Also the fridge condensing unit is very difficult to access. I have some ideas to improve the fridge...stay tuned!

The salon area is great for sitting around the dinner table, and will seat 6, but some of the angles on the setees make for limited lounging space. The fake leather upholstery is durable, but cold and firm. A few pillows and blankets have improved it, but we still have a bit of work to make the interior more cozy and inviting.

The opening portlights above the stove and in the head cannot be opened in rainy weather without letting rain in. The head also has an opening overhead hatch that is protected by the Dodger, but it would be nice to have ventilation directly above the stove when cooking on wet days.

I am sure I will discover more little annoyances over time, but so far we are overjoyed with our purchase!

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
SanderO likes this.

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura
post #17 of 44 Old 01-05-2020

Dock

1983 O'Day 22

Roomy (We are semi reformed backpackers.)
Fast (She travels at 65 mph, then takes about 45 minutes to get in the water.)
Floats in 18" of water. (TowBoat US has shown up a few times to "rescue" us from our anchorage.)
Fun (She sails like the big dingy she is.)

She actually sails nicely, once I put new sails on her. Please don't judge her based on the performance of the 40 year old original sails! Obviously, she is the wrong boat if you want to cross a big ocean. She might do OK crossing a smaller one, like the Atlantic, if you can always find a harbor to duck into if the weather threatens ;-)

They are old boats at this point, with all the old boat problems. But, at 22', no problem is really too big. Check the cored decks VERY carefully for rot/moisture.

I've got about $8,000 in mine, I can probably sell her for about $3500. But, I've rebuilt most everything to my standards, have a sidescan fishfinder, solar power, and some other "ridiculous" upgrades. My favorite upgrade was dyneema rigging. A few pounds saved raising the mast helps, and we have no more worries about kinking the stainless stays.
SanderO and ThereYouAre like this.
post #18 of 44 Old 01-05-2020

Bristol 29.9

• Skeg hung rudder - supports and protects the rudder.
  • Prop in aperture - protects the prop and offers some resistance to snagging crap pots, etc.
  • easy access to chain plates for inspection and replacement.
  • good engine access especially considering her size
  • Beautiful - I love her classic lines beautiful warm interior
  • Solid, quiet - The interior is all hand built mahogany, tabbed to the hull. it's all well made, lovey and sturdy. It's hard to explain the comfort I gets when coming off watch, going down below to a quiet restful place. I've been on so many boats that creak squeak and grind in a seaway making it hard to get rest.
  • Lead encapsulated keel - I prefer this to a bolt on keel
  • large chart table
  • well balanced under sail, tracks well and has a light touch on the wheel.
  • bulkhead mounted table with leaf. In the smaller configuration it does not block access to any part of the boat. However if the leaf is opened it will block access to the head and v berth
  • fast - for an old, fat, heavy boat. We have won our share of PHRF races.
  • Storage - well thought out and quite a lot for a small boat.

Dislikes:
  • Poor side deck drainage - Water flowing down the side decks will not drain overboard fast enough and overflows onto the cockpit seats! It soaks your ass and feet. Not so bad in the summer, but damned annoying in the cool weather.
  • Anchor locker is shallow. you need to be deliberate when stowing rode so that it does not bunch up.
  • Butcher-block Formica in the galley and chart table. It's "so 70's"
  • Chart table has no fiddles (I'll address that this summer)
  • Chart table uses the quarter berth for a seat. I dislike this layout very much. It makes access to the quarter berth awkward either as a berth or as storage. And makes sitting at the chart table uncomfortable.
  • The head is a tight squeeze - it's narrow and tucked up against the mast.
  • not fast - to old, fat and heavy. We have not won enough PHRF races!
  • Storage - I guess there is really never enough storage :-)
drew1711, SanderO and oldfurr like this.

1977 Bristol 29.9
Surprise
Hull #5
Oriental NC
post #19 of 44 Old 01-09-2020
Owner 1973 C-41 Sloop

Send a message via AIM to riggy001 Send a message via Yahoo to riggy001

1973 Columbia 41 Center Cockpit Motorsailer

With an 11-foot beam to a 41 foot length, she is very narrow making space aboard at a premium (for her length). Top this off with the fact that the table in the main saloon is mast-mounted and does not service the starboard side settee, feeding a crew of 6 is cumbersome. Also, the cabin sole is an ugly bare wood under white paint laden with screw heads outlining the 4 tanks (2 fuel and 2 water). The battery bank takes up storage under the aft section of the v-berth (which would be best suited for storage--maybe as a clothes dresser--rather than the cavern under the cabin sole where the generator is. There is little storage in the galley, but there is ample storage in the stateroom, so much that the galley storage includes the stateroom--pots and such live on the port side (the side the galley is on) under the aft berth in those drawers. However, since I have added a lift-up table to extend the limited counter space, the door to the stateroom must be closed to use the table, restricting access to the stateroom. The saloon settee cabinets are rather spacious, but not tall enough to stow full-size books! It's only 11-7/8" tall (Nigel Calder's Boatowner's Mechanical and Electrical Manual will not fit in there vertically).
With a nearly 7 foot freeboard and a 2 foot coaming, don't expect the cockpit to get even moist except during a hurricane or seas over 20 feet. I have never sailed her, but I believe that 10 foot seas would leave the cockpit totally splashless (and maybe sprayless depending on the wind), and possibly 15 foot seas. It might get wet (with seawater) at 20'. (I have been in 20 foot seas in the Gulf of Mexico on a 96 foot CamCraft oilfield Crew Boat named "Judy D" for Marine Transportation of Panama City FL).
This boat was possibly abused and definitely neglected by the previous owner(s), and as I was unaware of the "e-Bay Buyer Protection" at the time, I bought a pig. I removed a bulkhead with a Shop-Vac for God's sake! But I am replacing all the rotted wood (and stopping all the leaks) with Marine ply and REAL TEAK! This has been a very expensive venture and I can only hope to break even on the sale.

ALL NEW CANVAS! BIMINI COVERS DODGER MORE

https:/flickr.com/photos/riggy001 $20,000 worth of canvas and wood work completed to date.

I will accept $28,000 with the all new canvas, new settee cushions (upholstered), new galley cabinet and counter, and LP Gas piped into the galley. I personally sewed everything! With a 1958 Singer Model 66-16!

PICS at https://flickr.com/photos/riggy001

Last edited by riggy001; 01-09-2020 at 10:13 PM. Reason: adding price
post #20 of 44 Old 01-10-2020
Freedom isn't free

Dock

I know this is difficult to say, but the topic actually exists here:
https://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-reviews/

It is a whole forum dedicated to folks reviewing their boats. Hell I posted several pages worth of modifications to my last boat there, and my last, last boat there.

That's not to say that the forum doesn't need new life and all, or a "summary" thread. But there are topics for forums other than "General Discussion (sailing related" on this board.
BarryL likes this.

Freedom, a 1983 C&C 32 sailing Smith Mountain Lake, VA

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in