Shannon 28 v PSC Orion or Niagara 35 v Cape Dory 33 - Page 4 - SailNet Community
Boat Reviews This forum has all types of boat reviews. Take a look, Dream, Agree, Dissagree.... but enjoy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 49 Old 10-01-2010 Thread Starter

John, thanks for the enlightenment on the Scheel keel. I am just not sure I am there yet. A couple of years ago I wouldn't even look at anything unless it was full keel, Crealock designed. I liked how he improved Archer's Westsail 32 and the Cabo Rico 38 was (and still is) my fantasy boat with it's cut away full keel, skeg-hung rudder and aperture-protected prop. Then I discovered Pacific Seacrafts, definitely Crealock, but with a blend of Perry and Valiant down below. I liked them, he was evolving and bringing performance into play. But a funny-looking bulb is a huge leap. Next, you'll be telling me someone wants to take a "bite" out of a full keel!

Blowinstink, great info on the CD33 and 330. I said early on they may be the best bang for the buck. And from a quality perspective, they are built much better than your average production boat. I know the builder took the 40 and 36 molds to Robinhood in Maine and has built a few. Did he take the 33 as well? Is there any support there for the Cape Dorys? I appreciated your comments on the Orion and the Shannon, too.

Guys, my last boat was twin screw with counter rotating props. I turned on a dime and could do a 360 in the boat's length. Now, I have come to realize that was cheating!

Thanks all.

Jim
SeaQwest
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 49 Old 10-02-2010 Thread Starter

Oops...On the Cabo Rico it is a cut-away "forefoot" and an "attached" rudder. I should read these things before I post them!

Jim
SeaQwest
post #33 of 49 Old 10-02-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaQwest View Post

Blowinstink, great info on the CD33 and 330. I said early on they may be the best bang for the buck. And from a quality perspective, they are built much better than your average production boat. I know the builder took the 40 and 36 molds to Robinhood in Maine and has built a few. Did he take the 33 as well? Is there any support there for the Cape Dorys? I appreciated your comments on the Orion and the Shannon, too.

Jim
SeaQwest
Jim-
The 33 is not in production anywhere AFAIK. I don't know who owns the molds (there is a section on the whereabouts of various production equipment on the CD owner's site but I think it is vague on the 33). There is ongoing support for some CD parts (spars, fittings, hardware) but that's it unless you sail a 36 or a 40. The owner's group is extremely helpful and friendly. Quality is an interesting issue. It'll mean so much more once you've been aboard and poked around (and then so much more again when you've had to take stuff apart and / or put it back together). Finish is one thing, construction techniques another, engineering yet another. I understand that Ericsons and PSC's were made at the same facility for quite a while and I think they are both well made and engineered, but the finish on the PSC is what you initially notice and focus on (until the underlying issues reveal themselves . . .). I have been extremely impressed with trhe CD -- except of course for a few occassions when I was surprised and disappointed! I imagine that some variation of that experience is common among all of these boats. Again, I don't think you can go wrong with any of the boats you are considering. Really what we all want is John's boat

Last edited by blowinstink; 10-02-2010 at 09:04 AM.

post #34 of 49 Old 10-04-2010
Broad Reachin'

I just wanted to re-iterate Killarney's footnote about the Mark Ellis designed Aloha 32 also being an attractive, if smaller and less exspansive option if you like what the Niagara 35 offers.

I personally love the Niagara 35 (and Aloha 32) because of it's good looks, seaworthy reputation, strong build quality, good value and unique and practical cabin layout. However, my wife doesn't care for the Mark I without a proper v-berth. The quarter berths are really only suitable for one person each, which means our family (2 parents, 2 kids) would still end up using the salon settees as berths, which is one of the reasons we'd like to go bigger than our current boat in the first place.

Catalina 34

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #35 of 49 Old 10-07-2010 Thread Starter

Blowinstink, by "John's boat", I assume you mean the PSC 31. Great boat! Another one out of my price range. I appreciate the follow-up on the CD. I am not sure the Admiral will go for the single berth forward. That's why we like yours, the 330.

Kwaltersmi, thanks for chiming in on the Niagara and the Aloha. I can go either way on the V-berth. They are great in the slip and at anchor, but underway...forget about it! We might be able to make those aft berths work on the Mark I. Plus, I like the head being further aft. The trade off is the saloon becomes smaller and a little closed-in. Hey, there are trade offs with all boats. I think the Niagara might have inched into the lead on my wish list!

In regard to federal documentation, my Post was documented, the Tiara was not. It has been 25 years since the Post. I vaguely recall something about a requirement that documented boats be manufactured in the USA. Is this a requirement? If it is and I go with the Niagara, what would be the downside of not being able to federally document?

Again, thanks to all for your knowledgeable input. It is a tremendous help.

Jim
SeaQwest
post #36 of 49 Old 10-20-2010 Thread Starter

Annapolis trip did not happen. We were originally scheduled to see 5 boats starting with our first choice, the Shannon 28, which was the broker's listing. I called the broker two days before just to make sure the plans were on track. Broker informed me that the Shannon had gone under contract and since the other 4 vessels were not their listings they were not going to show them to us. Apparently, our $60,000 budget was not high enough to allow an acceptable commission if they had to co-broker.

I tried to salvage the trip by calling the broker that represented our second choice, the Niagara. This vessel had a new engine, new sails, new awlgrip - it looked like a great buy. Alas, the broker informed me that she had a soft deck and soft hull.

With no appointments and our two favorites out of the running, it did not make sense to make the trip. We were disappointed, but hey, we will keep looking and maybe find something even better. And just maybe...it will be for sale by owner!

Jim
SeaQwest
post #37 of 49 Old 10-20-2010
Not So Senior Member

Keep saving while you shop around and new opportunities may come to you.

Dictated, but not read.
post #38 of 49 Old 10-30-2010

I am looking at a Shannon 28, keep coming back to that boat. Anybody out there tell me if teh traveller position in the cockpit is awkward and if it is what is the feasibilty of a cabintop mounted traveller? is there enough room to mount it there withour adversley impacting the rigging
post #39 of 49 Old 10-30-2010

There is less load on a cockpit traveler than one on the cabin top. Also easier for a singlehander to adjust if it's in the cockpit.

Brian
Living aboard in Victoria Harbour
post #40 of 49 Old 10-31-2010 Thread Starter

This is just a guess, but another consideration may be that the Shannon was designed to be a true cutter with the mast farther aft than the mast on a sloop. At 28 feet, if its traveler were put on the cabin top, it would be sheeted on the boom about a third of the way from the mast. I am not sure that is possible let alone effective. Again, I am just guessing.

Jim
SeaQwest

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in