Shannon 28 v PSC Orion or Niagara 35 v Cape Dory 33 - Page 5 - SailNet Community
Boat Reviews This forum has all types of boat reviews. Take a look, Dream, Agree, Dissagree.... but enjoy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 49 Old 11-01-2010
Broad Reachin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdep4382 View Post
Anybody out there tell me if teh traveller position in the cockpit is awkward and if it is what is the feasibilty of a cabintop mounted traveller?
We have the same traveller position on our 28' Irwin. I initially had concerns about the traveller getting in the way while lounging in the cockpit and being awkward for going below but neither has been a real issue. I actually now really like the traveller location because it's easy to trim from the helm and as has been mentioned makes it very convenient for single-handed sailing.

Catalina 34

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 49 Old 11-01-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaQwest View Post
And, yes, I am keeping my eye out for the Southern Cross. I love the line and Ryder's build quality.
SeaQwest, you might want to look north in your boat search, especially this time of year. Here's a Southern Cross that might suit your needs.
Bridge Yachts Ltd. (Port Dover, ON)
I have coveted Amanda Lee from across the fairway for three seasons, and was surprised to see her listed for sale.
There are a half dozen CS 36 Traditionals brokered nearby that are in your price range, a couple of Niagaras, and this C&C Landfall 35 makes me pause:

C&C 35 Landfall Sailboat - City of Toronto Sailboats For Sale - Kijiji City of Toronto Canada.

There are some advantages to purchasing a freshwater boat, especially boats that only see the water 5-6 months a year. Also, a cruise down the Erie canal to Long Island is an easier shakedown cruise on an unknown boat than a hard drive north outside from Annapolis
post #43 of 49 Old 11-01-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwaltersmi View Post
We have the same traveller position on our 28' Irwin. I initially had concerns about the traveller getting in the way while lounging in the cockpit and being awkward for going below but neither has been a real issue. I actually now really like the traveller location because it's easy to trim from the helm and as has been mentioned makes it very convenient for single-handed sailing.
Our traveller/mainsheet is also in the cockpit, on the trailing edge of the bridgedeck. I like this location a lot, for the same reasons Kevin mentioned.

We have a quick release shackle so we can detach the mainsheet from the traveller car and clip it to the lifelines while at anchor. So we get the best of both worlds -- handy while sailing and out-of-the-way at anchor.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT

post #44 of 49 Old 11-01-2010

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwaltersmi View Post
May I add that having a traveler on a bridge deck is great for a hand hold on windy days when entering or exiting the companionway. That loaded-up mainsheet tackle makes for a nice grip...
You can always move the car to either side for social hour once you are moored for the night.
Plus One on the comment that it helps short hand sailing a lot. Ours is a 6 to 1 purchase with a Harken cam cleat, and I can "snap" the sheet in and out of the cams from back behind the wheel.
(The high sheeting loads and requirement for a winch with a housetop traveler system make it a lot harder to use when you are short handed.)

LB

Last edited by olson34; 11-01-2010 at 10:29 AM.
post #45 of 49 Old 11-03-2010 Thread Starter

Bljones, thanks for the recommends. I concur with your thinking about freshwater boats and especially ones in northern climates. The boat might be 30 years old, but it was used half as much as the same boat further south.

I do like the Southern Cross 31, especially if they are "factory finished". This one looks good, but is one of the higher priced ones...I will keep my eye on it. The CS36 Traditional is a great boat. The ones in great shape are usually just out of my price range or aren't the shoal-draft versions. Plus, now I'm slipping into "big" boat issues. But, again, I like them...

Speaking of Niagaras and CSs, does anyone know if we in the U. S. can document a boat manufactured outside the U.S.?

Thanks all.

Jim
SeaQwest
post #46 of 49 Old 11-03-2010
Telstar 28

Yes, many boats of non-US manufacture are USCG documented. The USCG DOCUMENTATION doesn't care where the boat was built, but what the citizenship of the owners is...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaQwest View Post
Bljones, thanks for the recommends. I concur with your thinking about freshwater boats and especially ones in northern climates. The boat might be 30 years old, but it was used half as much as the same boat further south.

I do like the Southern Cross 31, especially if they are "factory finished". This one looks good, but is one of the higher priced ones...I will keep my eye on it. The CS36 Traditional is a great boat. The ones in great shape are usually just out of my price range or aren't the shoal-draft versions. Plus, now I'm slipping into "big" boat issues. But, again, I like them...

Speaking of Niagaras and CSs, does anyone know if we in the U. S. can document a boat manufactured outside the U.S.?

Thanks all.

Jim
SeaQwest

Sailingdog

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
post #47 of 49 Old 11-04-2010 Thread Starter

Sailingdog, thanks for the info.

Also, a big THANKS for the "Boat Inspection Trip Tips". I refer to it often.

Jim
SeaQwest
post #48 of 49 Old 01-17-2011

St Augustine Shannon

Hi - hope your search is coming along well! I can't attest to details, but the Shannon 28 f/s in St Augustine FL is certainly not a dog and the owner seemed to be a decent guy too boot (the boat is in the same marina where I bought my cape dory). It is listed on YW (as what seemed like a decent price). Also, the CD's seem to be down in price recently . . .. Luck! Let us know how it turns out!
post #49 of 49 Old 01-22-2011 Thread Starter

Blowinstink - Thanks for the report. She looked cared-for in her pictures on YW. Sounds like she doesn't have H/C water or shore power. I wonder how involved and expensive these would be to install?

It is either feast or famine. A few weeks back, there were 8 or 9 Shannon 28s for sale. Now, there are 3 with only 1 on the east coast.

I am heading to FLA in March. If she is still available, I will make a call to see her. Thanks again for the eyes. I will let you know how it turns out.

Jim
SeaQwest

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in