Time for an update:
Sheesh four weeks and this update will probably be disjointed at best as I sit here half awake watching my dog slowly collect every toy in the apartment and amass them at my feet.
I guess first off, I ran out of gas money for a couple weeks there, which put me behind schedule once again, but i managed to make good time on my return, completing my first fiberglass job (which was graceless) and finally beginning the damn hull to deck joint.
And yes, if you have hear anything about the hull to deck joint it is as absolutely miserable, in fact it is so miserable that everyone on here that warns you it is miserable is sugar coating the extent of its true misery because nobody would ever read any of our post I believe. I am considering skipping removing all the tiny bits of sheared staples and corroded rivets, scraping the nasty green that looks like it was made of chewed gum from under library decks and entombing the whole damn thing in fiberglass. I know, thats probably a terrible idea. But if any one reading this (or my yard owners who I'll probably ask tomorrow morning) happen to know if doing so will nevertheless leave me structurally reinforced enough to withstand rough seas, its happening, and I'll figure out how to make it look ship shape later.
As for the laz, I am proud to say it now sports four fiberglass encased stringers and they don't look that bad either! So for the first two there may have been some screaming, cursing, throwing things, spilling things, hitting other things, and smoking, melting, OMG I THINK ITS ON FIRE things, but my technique has improved. I will be beginning the same process on my overhead possibly as soon as tomorrow since I removed all the hardware and filled the screw holes with epoxy today. (which is another long winded story that ends in "my technique will improve" and "%&#@!!!! GET THE ACETONE!")
Anyway. Its been a long day. And like everything else since October, I know its just part of time and the process which I am thoroughly enjoying despite all (though Im amused to realize I miss the era of my crowbar. Goof that I am thought rebuilding would be the easy part.) Last but not least, I thought it would be easier to begin replacing deck core by attacking a less rotted area under a cleat on my cabin top. Not sure if I chose to wide an area with intact balsam underneath or WTF but I cannot get the skin panel I cut peeled off for the life of me. I am using a heat gun, two screw drivers as prying tools and a spatula, but clearly I am doing something wrong. Anyone have any advice? I need to get it under control by tuesday morning when I report back to the schooner I work on in the city for spring maintenance. I know once rain gets in the grooves where I cut it Im gonna have a lot bigger problems than a stubborn patch of fiberglass skin......
I made a photo bucket account last week but don't have time to really figure it out tonight. In the meantime though Ive been posting videos of my progress throughout the winter. You can find them on youtube under prettyredcars or Miranda J. Holman. Sadly sailnet will not yet let me post links. Although, I could fix that if I get better about posting more regularly... we'll see.
But for now, it is time for me to take a break from this adventure for six slightly itchy and somewhat aching hours, better know as sleep.