Replacing standing rigging/chainplates on B27 while in the water - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 12-07-2015 Thread Starter

Replacing standing rigging/chainplates on B27 while in the water

Hey everyone.

I recently bought a B27 over the weekend. She is my first boat! Super stoked to get her out on the water and what she can do!

She is in dire need of new chainplates, and probably standing rigging(this part is up in the air).

I know the B27 has a deckstepped mast, however i do not want to haul her out to have the rigging done. I'd prefer to do it while in the water. Does anyone have any resources of this being done?

I know since she isn't a keel-stepped, the rig can't free-stand, however can i use halyards to support the mast while i do 1 at a time?

Also does anyone have good resource on where to get new chainplates and standing rigging? I do live in Seattle, so maybe a local shop?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 12-07-2015

Re: Replacing standing rigging/chainplates on B27 while in the water

A mast without the load can be easily supported using a strong rope halyard. The problem with replacing standing rigging while on the water is repeat trips to the top of the mast (at least 2 trips will be needed) while the mast is held up by ropes and your rear end is way up there. Do you see it now? I would not do it. Way to risky.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
post #3 of 20 Old 12-07-2015

You can take the mast down while in water. You will need at least 3 people to do it in reasonable safety, with the boat tied up along a dock.

Plato

post #4 of 20 Old 12-07-2015
Above 5 knots

Dock

B27 = Bristol 27?

If its this

And deck stepped, you'll have to drop the mast forward (instead of aft)...
yep is the only way I'd suggest doing it not "in place," as you suggest.

I'd do it backed into a slip, or better with space across the slip from you to drop it.

An A-frame and lowering tackle (5:1 preferred or better)... You may be able to use the boom as a gin pole though (not sure where you'd attach the mainsheet or whatnot for it though)... You'll want a mast crutch to drop the mast forward into.

This just swap fore/aft... Might be able to build a mast crutch and place it on the dock (again if there is room directly across from you).

MINI MOO, a 1983 Wavelength 24 - she's a fast cow!
post #5 of 20 Old 12-07-2015 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHNOOL View Post
B27 = Bristol 27?

If its this
And deck stepped, you'll have to drop the mast forward (instead of aft)...
yep is the only way I'd suggest doing it not "in place," as you suggest.

I'd do it backed into a slip, or better with space across the slip from you to drop it.

An A-frame and lowering tackle (5:1 preferred or better)... You may be able to use the boom as a gin pole though (not sure where you'd attach the mainsheet or whatnot for it though)... You'll want a mast crutch to drop the mast forward into.

This just swap fore/aft... Might be able to build a mast crutch and place it on the dock (again if there is room directly across from you).
Really appreciate the insight and great photos! Is there a reason you drop the mast aft rather than fore? We could easily back ours into our slip todo the work.

My big concern would be the marina not allow us to do repairs, and not dropping the mast would mean we could do it without being too "obvious". The flip side of things, dropping the mast means we'd probably have a better understanding of the state of the mast and the state of of the mast step.

Here are a few photos that I have of the boat.
drive.google.com/file/d/0B8In-MDiPUysb05LdHZaMTJzb3c/view?usp=sharing

drive.google.com/file/d/0B8In-MDiPUysbkU1ZWRybmJVTmc/view?usp=sharing

Overall our bristol 27 is in very clean condition. The exterior wood is in need of sanding and refinishing, it currently is powered by a 15hp mercury outboard hung on the transom as the inboard perkins diesel is in a state of "unknown". The topsides need a new coat of paint, however the bottom was repainted last year with the zincs(including prop zinc) replaced. The owner also replaced all running rigging in 2014 as well.

My priorities currently are as follow:
1. Get standing rigging/chainplates replaced ASAP and any issues on mast/rigging resolved and documented
2. Clean bilge out, seems who ever worked on the diesel got some oil inside the bilge
3. Clean out aft and cockpit lockers - aft locker is where the PO stored fuel tank and all oil to mix in fuel along with stabilizers and random crap
4. Sand, repaint top deck & all wood on exterior + buff top deck - this includes making more holes in the toe rail for water drainage
5. Sand refinish interior wood(not required but would be nice to have that "new" feel)
6. Remake mainsail cover
7. Clean interior, and measure all cushions and start production on new cushions for interior and cockpit(my significant other and her mom are excellent sowers)

While I am working on #1, #2, #3, the SO will be working on #6, #7. Once these are complete we will be working together on #4, #5.
post #6 of 20 Old 12-07-2015

Marinas worry about damage to other boats by folks working on their own boats. That is understandable. Talk to them before you do anything major. Make sure you have insurance. Accidentally dropping a mast on a boat in a next slip can lead to major expense. The boat looks solid, well worth getting it fixed up.

Plato
post #7 of 20 Old 12-08-2015

So what makes you think you need to replace your chain plates? I would get a professional in to survey the boat.

Eric
Delta-T
1968 Bristol 32 Keel/Crb Hull 26
Narragansett Bay RI USA
post #8 of 20 Old 12-08-2015
Above 5 knots

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowdan View Post
Is there a reason you drop the mast aft rather than fore? We could easily back ours into our slip todo the work.
I drop aft as it's easier for me because there is room behind the boat... also my rig is a swept spreader rig, so the uppers get looser as the mast is lowered, literally only headstay to release and the mast comes down.

If you have dual lowers, its a 50/50 proposition of which way you can lower, also my bigger concern for you would be that height bump behind the mast step, that'd mean you'd have to have a pretty large (high) mast crutch support aft when the mast is down. Hence why I'd think lowering the mast forward would make more sense for you.

One last question, are you sure the mast step is hinged? If it's a flanged mast step, then lowering yourself just got a LOT harder.

MINI MOO, a 1983 Wavelength 24 - she's a fast cow!
post #9 of 20 Old 12-08-2015

If you are going to replace chainplates and standing rigging on a new to you boat, my experience would suggest removing the deck stepped mast would be the most efficient and safest procedure.

Safety - you will need to utilize a bosuns chair to the mast head with unknown integrity of the upper and lower terminations of the stays, unknown condition of the crane head sheaves, and unknown integrity of the spreaders. The halyard load with personnel aboard usually exceeds the loads exerted by sails. So, take no comfort that the rig is safe unless you load test it for at least 150 percent of your weight.

Efficiency - again, my experience with a similar rig, nothing goes according to plan and scope of work creep is phenomenal. Once you get to the top of the mast, oh, that Vhf antenna looks suspect, the phenolic sheaves are shot, oh the anchor light is corroded.........

Then, the best way to replace chain plates is to take them the old ones. Trying to obtain a good deck seal is your next challenge.

Several marinas in the area, thinking Shilshoe, have chain hoists and storage yards for stepped masts. Shilshoe s is capable of picking our Olson 30! With the mast off you would get the opportunity to address all types of BOAT projects.

Stay safe!!

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk
post #10 of 20 Old 12-10-2015

JM, You are probably correct I'm defining headsail halyard loads, but on a non bendy telephones pole type mast, the main halyard is usually never put on a winch for a Bristol 27. My bosun rides were usually on the main as primary with the jib or spinny as safety.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in