2Likes
  • 1 Post By CarbonSink62
  • 1 Post By capta

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 11-21-2016 Thread Starter
Load Bearing Member

Dock
New Cruising Sails for a 29.9

The Admiral feels that it is time for new sails; who am I to disagree?

About Us:
We keep the boat in Portsmouth, NH; we daysail and cruise from there. We'll go north and south, but mostly north. All the way to Canada before we're done. We hope to do one 'real' trip before we're too old. Maybe Bermuda, maybe the Great Loop.

We don't race and don't plan to start; ease of use and long life are at the top of our list.

We already have an asymmetrical spinnaker, we just need the sock.

My Plan:
Main: Full batten with as much roach as I can get. Loose footed. I've read that full batten sails go up and down more easily and nest nicely in the lazyjacks. Also, that they flog less and last longer.

Big Jib: A roller reefing 150% that will hold its shape when reefed to 135-120. This will replace the headsail we have now and be the one we use most often in the light air of New England.

Small Jib: A roller reefing 100% that will hold its shape when reefed to 80-70 (??). This is the sail that I'll go to when the forecast calls for winds above 15kts or so. Right now, I furl the headsail, reef the main, and fight the weather helm.

I don't believe I need a storm jib for coastal cruising. I'll stay in port or just motor into it. I guess I'd want one for the 'real' trip.

So, that's my thinking. I'd love to hear feedback on the plan and also suggestions for a sail loft; local would be nice.

Ken

Zen Again

1978 Bristol 29.9 #122

Testing a mother's love since 1962
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-21-2016

Re: New Cruising Sails for a 29.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonSink62 View Post
The Admiral feels that it is time for new sails; who am I to disagree?

About Us:
We keep the boat in Portsmouth, NH; we daysail and cruise from there. We'll go north and south, but mostly north. All the way to Canada before we're done. We hope to do one 'real' trip before we're too old. Maybe Bermuda, maybe the Great Loop.

We don't race and don't plan to start; ease of use and long life are at the top of our list.

We already have an asymmetrical spinnaker, we just need the sock.

My Plan:
Main: Full batten with as much roach as I can get. Loose footed. I've read that full batten sails go up and down more easily and nest nicely in the lazyjacks. Also, that they flog less and last longer.

Big Jib: A roller reefing 150% that will hold its shape when reefed to 135-120. This will replace the headsail we have now and be the one we use most often in the light air of New England.

Small Jib: A roller reefing 100% that will hold its shape when reefed to 80-70 (??). This is the sail that I'll go to when the forecast calls for winds above 15kts or so. Right now, I furl the headsail, reef the main, and fight the weather helm.

I don't believe I need a storm jib for coastal cruising. I'll stay in port or just motor into it. I guess I'd want one for the 'real' trip.

So, that's my thinking. I'd love to hear feedback on the plan and also suggestions for a sail loft; local would be nice.

Ken

For long distance coastal etc., consider a triple reef in the main. Nothing fancy, and you can hand-tie it in when needed. Also a good aid to dampen rolling and add some forward speed when motoring 'into it' .... vs. having high steep chop stop you 'dead'.

Also for the main, I favor an 'over-the-top' leech line system that can be adjusted from the gooseneck/mast/luff, as well as from the aft end of the boom ... saves having to 'hang' over-board to adjust a fluttering leech.
Triple stitched is best for offshore - IMO.

Also consider one of the more UV resistant sail threads - for longer life sun vs. sunlight exposure - added cost.

;-)
post #3 of 9 Old 11-29-2016 Thread Starter
Load Bearing Member

Dock

Thanks, Rich. I found a North Sails distributor that's close by, I'll start with them.

3 reefs, triple stitch, UV resistant... I'll price it out.

Ken
baywater likes this.

Zen Again

1978 Bristol 29.9 #122

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 Old 02-16-2017

Ken,

Can you give us an update on your planned sail purchase? I'm just getting started looking for a new mainsail for my 29.9, and have begun looking at lofts online. Hyde Direct (JudyB Sails) seems to have a good reputation for well made sails at a fair price, and I am also looking at Doyle, based on a seeing and sailing with the sails a friend bought for his Yankee 28. Any insights or advice you can give would be welcome.

Thanks,
Eric Irvine

Eric Irvine
1980 Bristol 29.9
Selkie
post #5 of 9 Old 02-16-2017
Master Mariner

I'd just like to point out that if you buy your sails online, all measurements are your responsibility. Any problems with the sail and you'll have to ship them back to a sailmaker that's never seen them on the boat or sailed with them.
We had our main built at a local loft and it might have been a bit more money, but they did the measurements and are wholly responsible for my being happy with their product. That alone is worth whatever the cost difference might have been.
And yes, after the charter season ends I'm going to have them tweak it a bit.
flyrod likes this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #6 of 9 Old 02-16-2017

Capta,

Thanks, yes I did think about that but with my location (Great Salt Lake), local lofts are nonexistent. Closest to me I think is San Francisco, where the Doyle loft I mentioned is located.

Thanks,
Eric

Eric Irvine
1980 Bristol 29.9
Selkie
post #7 of 9 Old 02-16-2017 Thread Starter
Load Bearing Member

Dock

Hi Eric,

I'll update this thread when we make a decision.

Looks like we'll go through another season with the sails we have.

This year's upgrade is new Chartplotter w/ Radar.

Ken

Zen Again

1978 Bristol 29.9 #122

post #8 of 9 Old 02-16-2017

Ken,

Thanks. I'll update and let you know how the new sail purchase works out, might be a little while yet since the boat is on the hard till the end of March. Enjoy the new chart plotter.

Eric

Eric Irvine
1980 Bristol 29.9
Selkie
post #9 of 9 Old 02-16-2017

I have a furling UK light 150, used 1 year. From a Nicholson 303. Data here NICHOLSON 303 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com. maybe it'll work.
It's yours if you pay the shipping. I'm in Southern NY, Westchester Co.
jp

1985 C&C 35 MK 3 #150
LIS

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in