centerboard on the 41.1 - Page 2 - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 Old 03-20-2019

Re: centerboard on the 41.1

Center boards require very little extra maintenance. The well and board need to be cleaned and painted when you do the bottom but that's minimal time and labor. The cable should be inspected at each haul out and replaced if necessary. The galvanized cable that the PO installed on my boat still looked good after 6 years mostly in Hawaii. Changed it out for a Dyneema line which is going on 7 years and possibly will last forever. The plumbing to run the control line needs to be monitored but my boat is 50 years old with everything but the cable is original.

I've got a Pearson 35 but most center board installations are essentially identical. How the lifting cable is actuated and located is the big difference. Different boats's interior and deck designs so builders have routed the lifting cables differently with different means to multiply force to raise the board. Some use a wire reel or sheet winch mounted either on deck or below. Others have a simple dual sheave arrangement to multiply force. I'm not familiar with any center board mechanics that lock the board down on a keel/centerboard boat. There may be some out there but I'd be leery of such a set up unless it is built hell for stout to be as strong as fixed keel. Personally want the board to lift up and save itself when it hits the bottom. So most boats just rely on the weight of the board to keep it lowered all the way at sea. Some may have minor weight ballast to be sure it stays down but in no way is it enough ballast that would affect stability. There are boats with ballasted lifting keels, either swing or vertical, but they are a whole different barrel of fish.

The board in the up position should have little to no bumping, banging. Sailed to Hawaii DDW with the board up with the rolling that that point of sail includes and the board was dead silent. The only time I was aware that the board was even there was when the lifting line slipped a little in the cam cleat and the board dropped down a bit. Hauled a bit on the lifting line and was back to silent running. Lowered, the board can bang. Beating, it seldom makes any noise. On a reach or run it does make itself known because of the additional rolling of the boat. But then I almost never lower the board except when hard on the wind because it's not necessary and just makes for additional drag. Some people say partially lowering the board on some points of sail can affect helm balance but haven't found that to be the case with my boat. Lowering the board at anchor with ANY wave action will result in the board bumping noticeably. Don't know why you'd want to lower the board at anchor in any case.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 Old 03-20-2019
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Center boards require very little extra maintenance. The well and board need to be cleaned and painted when you do the bottom but that's minimal time and labor. The cable should be inspected at each haul out and replaced if necessary. The galvanized cable that the PO installed on my boat still looked good after 6 years mostly in Hawaii. Changed it out for a Dyneema line which is going on 7 years and possibly will last forever. The plumbing to run the control line needs to be monitored but my boat is 50 years old with everything but the cable is original.

I've got a Pearson 35 but most center board installations are essentially identical. How the lifting cable is actuated and located is the big difference. Different boats's interior and deck designs so builders have routed the lifting cables differently with different means to multiply force to raise the board. Some use a wire reel or sheet winch mounted either on deck or below. Others have a simple dual sheave arrangement to multiply force. I'm not familiar with any center board mechanics that lock the board down on a keel/centerboard boat. There may be some out there but I'd be leery of such a set up unless it is built hell for stout to be as strong as fixed keel. Personally want the board to lift up and save itself when it hits the bottom. So most boats just rely on the weight of the board to keep it lowered all the way at sea. Some may have minor weight ballast to be sure it stays down but in no way is it enough ballast that would affect stability. There are boats with ballasted lifting keels, either swing or vertical, but they are a whole different barrel of fish.

The board in the up position should have little to no bumping, banging. Sailed to Hawaii DDW with the board up with the rolling that that point of sail includes and the board was dead silent. The only time I was aware that the board was even there was when the lifting line slipped a little in the cam cleat and the board dropped down a bit. Hauled a bit on the lifting line and was back to silent running. Lowered, the board can bang. Beating, it seldom makes any noise. On a reach or run it does make itself known because of the additional rolling of the boat. But then I almost never lower the board except when hard on the wind because it's not necessary and just makes for additional drag. Some people say partially lowering the board on some points of sail can affect helm balance but haven't found that to be the case with my boat. Lowering the board at anchor with ANY wave action will result in the board bumping noticeably. Don't know why you'd want to lower the board at anchor in any case.
Wow, I have to disagree with just about all your impressions of a centerboard, but of course, we don't sail similar boats.
I've tested it time and time again under power, and there seems to be zero drag; we don't even lose a .10th of a knot with it down. As above, we almost always use it at various depths to balance the boat and slow the roll, even ddw. That yours causes you to roll more on a reach is unfathomable to me, as putting ours down has an amazing effect to dampen the roll. We can always tell if we have forgotten to put the board down because she rolls so much more, even at anchor. At anchor, on our boat, there is a sweet spot where it dampens the roll and doesn't bang.
I know of folks who have put garden hose cut in half lengthwise on the board above the part of the board that comes out of the boat, and others who have used a similar method at the opening and it has completely stopped the banging.
Of course, when one can increase their draft from 6' to over 10, that has a considerable effect on leeway when beating. But when we are sailing well, the current seems to have little added effect.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #13 of 19 Old 03-20-2019

Hi kbbarton, to answer your question, no there is no locking device. And there are 2 imbedded zinc weights about 6" round in the tail of the centerboard. The boards are made of plywood.

I have detailed plans of my board in this site. My sheave arrangement is different than anyone else's I have seen, but there is little change in the boards from model to model.

And you are correct, the Pearson line of boat centerboards are very similar to the Bristol line, seeing how both Clinton Person and Ted Hood both started at Pearson Yachts before starting the Bristol line.

https://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-...stol-32-a.html

Any how, we have a large Bristol community in FaceBook and Yahoo, come find us!

Eric
Delta-T
1968 Bristol 32 Keel/Crb Hull 26
Narragansett Bay RI USA

post #14 of 19 Old 03-20-2019

Sorry if I wasn't clear but didn't mean to intimate the board down caused rolling but that that point of sail did. Just that sailing off the wind=
especially DDW all boats roll more, some a lot more than others. Beause of the rolling, the board has constant reversal of the dynamic forces on the sides of the boards which cause it to bang. The board could reduce roll. Never occurred to lower the board DDW to reduce roll for two reasons, my boat doesn't roll badly so didn't feel the need and the banging board would drive me crazy. Other than beating haven't felt a need to lower the board. Even though I suffer from CHS, extraneous noise like an auto pilot when sailing bug the hell out of me.
Aloha
Peter Ogilvie
'Ae'a, Pearson 35 #108
Ms American Pie, Sabre 28 Mk II
post #15 of 19 Old 03-21-2019
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Sorry if I wasn't clear but didn't mean to intimate the board down caused rolling but that that point of sail did. Just that sailing off the wind=
especially DDW all boats roll more, some a lot more than others. Beause of the rolling, the board has constant reversal of the dynamic forces on the sides of the boards which cause it to bang. The board could reduce roll. Never occurred to lower the board DDW to reduce roll for two reasons, my boat doesn't roll badly so didn't feel the need and the banging board would drive me crazy. Other than beating haven't felt a need to lower the board. Even though I suffer from CHS, extraneous noise like an auto pilot when sailing bug the hell out of me.
Aloha
Peter Ogilvie
'Ae'a, Pearson 35 #108
Ms American Pie, Sabre 28 Mk II
Try different depths on the board. Ours will bang all the way down but not at all at 14 of 20 turns on the winch. That's still most of the way down. Mess about a bit and I think you'll be surprised. A centerboard need not be an all or nothing proposition.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #16 of 19 Old 03-21-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
Try different depths on the board. Ours will bang all the way down but not at all at 14 of 20 turns on the winch. That's still most of the way down. Mess about a bit and I think you'll be surprised. A centerboard need not be an all or nothing proposition.
When the board is all the way down, it is the tightest fit, less movement. The boards are thickest at the pivot and 8" down from there, also they are flat at that point so when the board is all the way down the thick flat part will keep the board from rolling and is the tightest in the exiting slot of the trunk. With the board part down the board has more room to move in the slot. You can clearly see that in my plans documentation of the board.

Eric
Delta-T
Narragansett Bay RI USA
post #17 of 19 Old 03-21-2019
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta-T View Post
When the board is all the way down, it is the tightest fit, less movement. The boards are thickest at the pivot and 8" down from there, also they are flat at that point so when the board is all the way down the thick flat part will keep the board from rolling and is the tightest in the exiting slot of the trunk. With the board part down the board has more room to move in the slot. You can clearly see that in my plans documentation of the board.
I guess all boards are not created equal. But that makes little sense as a board is designed to operate at different depths for trim and partially down in shallower waters. As I said, I've known folks who have quieted their boards w/a split hose in the trunk or on the board.
Ours, unlike the other 530's we've met takes a forklift to move it if it is out of the boat. I'm guessing it weighs around 2500#.

Last edited by capta; 03-21-2019 at 01:34 PM.
post #18 of 19 Old 03-21-2019

Forgive me, I thought we were talking about Bristol specific boat design in a Bristol thread? My mistake.

Eric
Delta-T
Narragansett Bay RI USA
post #19 of 19 Old 03-21-2019
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta-T View Post
Forgive me, I thought we were talking about Bristol specific boat design in a Bristol thread? My mistake.
No, I'm sorry. I had no idea that the post was on any particular forum. I just saw it under recent discussions.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in