centerboard on the 41.1 - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 09-13-2018 Thread Starter

centerboard on the 41.1

The Bristol 41.1 is a beautiful boat, but I understand that they typically employ a centerboard. How does one raise/lower it? Are they maintenance-intensive?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 09-13-2018
Master Mariner

Re: centerboard on the 41.1

Normally the board has a wire that wraps onto a winch designed for this purpose.
We love our board and use it almost all the time to help with weather or lee helm. Even at anchor, it can dampen the motion in a rolly anchorage.
I think the biggest problem with a board, especially on a new boat and for those not used to them, is leaving it down when coming into shallow water. I made a little plaque that says "board down' in red on one side and 'board up' in white on the other, which has velcro and is right alongside the chart plotter at the helm. Can't-miss seeing it.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #3 of 19 Old 09-15-2018

Like anything else, they require maintenance. The board itself should be lowered, Sanded and Painted. ( maybe not needed annually but every few years) This would typically be done while in a lift. The Cable should be inspected and replaced as needed. Check for "fishhooks" etc. and Lubricate. Inspect the Pivot. Check the "Trunk" for marine growth and scrape out any Barnacles or shells.
The Following User Says Thank You to tempest For This Useful Post:
kbbarton (09-17-2018)

post #4 of 19 Old 09-16-2018

I have owned my 1968 B32 since 1970 and have replace the cable and sheaves twice. Last time was 4 years ago, I don't expect to have to do anything to it for the next 20 years, other than paint and cleaning the barnacles out of the trunk.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/5201...?ref=bookmarks

Eric
Delta-T
1968 Bristol 32 Keel/Crb Hull 26
Narragansett Bay RI USA
The Following User Says Thank You to Delta-T For This Useful Post:
kbbarton (09-17-2018)
post #5 of 19 Old 09-17-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
Normally the board has a wire that wraps onto a winch designed for this purpose.
We love our board and use it almost all the time to help with weather or lee helm. Even at anchor, it can dampen the motion in a rolly anchorage.
I think the biggest problem with a board, especially on a new boat and for those not used to them, is leaving it down when coming into shallow water. I made a little plaque that says "board down' in red on one side and 'board up' in white on the other, which has velcro and is right alongside the chart plotter at the helm. Can't-miss seeing it.
That's a good way to remind yourself!
post #6 of 19 Old 11-23-2018 Thread Starter

I'm still thinking about the Bristol 41.1 (or 43.3) and the centerboard... I read somewhere an anecdote about the centerboard "banging" while underway. Has anyone experienced that; if yes, is there any way to correct that?
post #7 of 19 Old 11-23-2018

Running downwind with the board up in a big sea, I heard the board knocking around in the trunk, when the boat rolled a bit.

In an rolly anchorage you might hear it, in that case lowering the board should help. I'm not racing, So, here in the Northeast, I find the pluses outweigh the minuses for me. I draw 3'11" with the board up, which allows easier access to more spots, at more times.
post #8 of 19 Old 03-19-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest View Post
Running downwind with the board up in a big sea, I heard the board knocking around in the trunk, when the boat rolled a bit.

In an rolly anchorage you might hear it, in that case lowering the board should help. I'm not racing, So, here in the Northeast, I find the pluses outweigh the minuses for me. I draw 3'11" with the board up, which allows easier access to more spots, at more times.
With the board lowered, is there anything that "locks" it in place so it stays vertical? I had thought that the board was a "swing keel" with it's own ballast that would be heavy enough to keep the board full deployed even with water rushing past it, but I read something today that said it is literally a board (no ballast of its own). Are there perhaps two control lines - one keeping the board up and the other for keeping it extended? Sorry for all the questions... I don't know much about centerboards and have generally avoided them, but the Bristol 41.1 is such a fine looking boat that I keep coming back to it!
post #9 of 19 Old 03-19-2019

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

We use our board frequently. It's heavily weighted and doesn't rattle at all. Lower it slowly.
Upwind it lets us sail a closer line to the wind.

Instead of reefing at 15-18 we usually can wait till 18-22.

To me it's a great advantage

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #10 of 19 Old 03-19-2019

I wouldn't say that my board is heavily weighted. it's heavy enough though. The lateral resistance while under sail plus it's own weight is sufficient to keep it in place. You would only typically deploy it when the wind is on the beam or forward of it.

It cuts down on weather helm and leeway or drift and improves windward performance. I've owned two Centerboard boats, one a Bristol and My current a Sabre. As mentioned, the benefits far outweigh the negatives- For me. With 3'11" board up, I am sailing when many of my neighbors with deeper drafts are waiting for mid or high tide. I can sneak into skinny waters, cut corners of channels etc.

I think the 41.1 is 4'6" with the board up. Not bad for that size vessel!

If winds are light, 5-10 knots, It's usually not even necessary to lower the board. If you really like the boat, I wouldn't let the fact that it has a centerboard scare you away. I looked at a 41.1, I Loved it. I just thought it was just a little too much boat for me at the time, for what I needed. Not that I couldn't sail it. But when you pay for a slip and everything else by the foot, the extra 6 feet beyond my current 34, Sabre, runs into thousands more a year.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in