Bristol 34 engine and prop shaft and prop - SailNet Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By eherlihy

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 10-23-2018 Thread Starter

Bristol 34 engine and prop shaft and prop

Hi all Iím the new owner of a 1971 Bristol 34 and I am so excited to get her back in the water, but.... it has some things that I have to figure out first and number one is the power plant. I know it came with an Universal atomic 4 but the engine and prop shaft and prop are gone and I have to figure out what I need to replace them. Iím going to go with a yanmar engine because of there availability and Iím a deisel mechanic and they are easy engines to fix. I have a kanzaki 2.62:1 trans that I may use if itís good enough. The guy I bought the boat off of threw in a 2 cylinder yanmar deisel that needs some tlc but it may be too small. Any help in this area would be of massive importance. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-23-2018
Learning the HARD way...

Re: Bristol 34 engine and prop shaft and prop

If it were my boat I would look at upgrading from the Atomic 4 with a Beta Marine Beta25. Beta markets their engines as Atomic 4 upgrades, and has done much of the homework for you. Betas are also based on a Kubota block, and Beta Marine readily provides cross-references for parts. Hint: Diesel Tractor parts are much cheaper than Marine Diesel parts.
RegisteredUser likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 Old 10-23-2018

You are going to want at least 20 HP, 30 would be best. so that means 3 cylinder Yanmar. it is a lot of expense and work to re power so it is worth going to the 30 hp models/ 3Gm, 3Qm and 3Ym models would be what you want Ym being the latest. if I was going to re power that boat I would look for a 3YM30. you will pay a little more but well worth the improvements they have over the older models. pay a little now or pay for it latter when parts get harder to find for the older models. many of the older models are raw water cooled, are you in fresh or salt water? whats your budget for the engine

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16

post #4 of 4 Old 10-23-2018

Beta 25 voter here

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in