SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

c&c 99 saildrive seal replacement

5K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  replusted 
#1 ·
Has anyone had experience with replacing the saildrive seal ( the large rubber/neoprene doughnut shaped seal easily visible at the base of the engine when viewed from forward ) in a c&c 99 with a Volvo Penta MD2020 diesel engine. The manual suggests replacing every 7 years. I have #55 built in 2004. Have never had any problems with the seal and am wondering whether to replace as a matter of routine or to wait and see if problems develop. I sail on Lake Erie -Great Lakes-so no salt water exposure. What are other 99 owner's doing?

#2 ·
I would go no more than nine years. I have heard of people pushing the replacement further, but that's a damned big hole in the boat if it fails…

Here is a link at CF where I talk about my saildrive boot and flange seal replacement:

> The Volvo is fairly simple, actually.
>
> There are 10 bolts in the lower unit: eight around the leg itself (safety
wired), and two more further outboard on either side of the flange.
>
> Remove the eight leg bolts, and loosen the two outboard ones. These two will
keep the leg from falling altogether as you loosen the lower leg away from the
upper one. Get hold of the leg and wiggle it loose, and then undo these two
bolts and drop the lower leg.
>
> I didn't get to see the entire upper unit removal, but what I did get is that
the Volvo has a three-point engine mount. You can loosen the aftermost one (at
the outdrive) and the two forward ones will allow the engine to pivot forward
enough that you can put a piece of 2x4 wood under it to lift the engine a bit.
Then the upper outdrive unit unbolts from the boat, and out it comes, boot and all

link: Volvo saildrives: learned something new - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

#5 ·
Brianc... maybe try a PM.. kra hasn't logged in since a year ago July. He/she may still get an email notification, though...

#6 · (Edited)
Re: c&c 99 & 110 saildrive seal replacement

I recently purchased a C&C 110 with a Volvo sail drive. Volvo recommends replacing the diaphragm every 7 years. Mine was 14 years old.:eek I examined the old one once it was removed from the boat and it looked as good as the new one. These diaphragms are made of really thick rubber. It would be extremely difficult to damage one even with a sharp knife. My certified Volvo mechanic charged me $2000 to replace it which included parts. I'm located in NY. I was originally going to do it myself but in retrospect, I'm glad I had a professional do it because he took care of some other repair/maintenance items that I may have overlooked. After seeing and handling the diaphragm, I am reassured that this part will not fail any easier than a conventional prop shaft and strut would. They are really made to very high standards.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.