New C&C 30 MKI owner - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 Old 12-26-2016

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: New C&C 30 MKI owner

Welcome to the C&C club. 30 is a really nice boat. Follow the advice given...safety first.

I would have the keel boats tightened as C&C has a well known smile at the hull keel junction. Additionally I would check thru hulls and also any deck equipment as the upper on most has a balsa core. Look carefully the first year or two for leaking or water intrusion in every crevice so you catch it and repair it early before it spreads.

Also if you are rid rigged when was the last time the heads were reworked?

C&C has a reputation of stiff very responsive handling. Learn to reef your main early (18 knots ) to keep her on her feet and not overcome by too much sail area up.

Also the C&C owners forum is a great group to learn the intricacies of your particular model with like owners

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
The Following User Says Thank You to chef2sail For This Useful Post:
tom135ca (01-16-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 Old 12-27-2016 Thread Starter

thanks chef2sail for the points, some things to inspect for sure.
post #13 of 18 Old 02-01-2018

Hi there,

I'm planning on getting a C&C 30 too as my first sailboat, after reading your post I'm wondering if the boat met your expectations and how is she as of now.

Thanks!

post #14 of 18 Old 02-01-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jor3l View Post
Hi there,

I'm planning on getting a C&C 30 too as my first sailboat, after reading your post I'm wondering if the boat met your expectations and how is she as of now.

Thanks!
Hi, the boat has met my expectations and more. I'm very happy with it. My first sail after i took a sail lesson involved me and the boat three day and nights on the water, the end of the trip was in 3 meter seas, 30 gusting 40 kts wind. It took me through no problem.
Boat is realy easy to work on, i thought i would upgrade but now I'm with this boat for as long as she will have me.
I would totally do it again. All old boats have problems, being able to repair and improve upon it is ideal. Good luck.
BarryL and PhilCarlson like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to tom135ca For This Useful Post:
jor3l (02-01-2018)
post #15 of 18 Old 08-20-2018

Just came across your posting.
I too am the new owner of a C&C 30 MKI (1974) and plan to have it out for lake cruising soon.

Writing to ask how things are going with your C&C? I have checked rigging and am replacing some halyards and sheets. Everything else looks OK for now.

Tom
-------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom135ca View Post
Hi Everyone,

First off, I'm very new to sailing. I took a sailing course last summer and fell in love with it. I have since bought a C&C 30 MKI, I'm tickled pink, looking forward to unwrapping it, it is stored away for winter. I plan to work on gaining some sailing experience and sail my boat from Maine to New Brunswick in June. I would like to gain some advice on safely making the boat ready, such as equipment and rigging the boat.
My list of upgrades is low, I think it may need expanding, so far I have;

Bottom paint
Paint Hull
Batteries
Paint Mast
Repair Mast step
Radar
Radar Reflector
Autopilot
Chartplotter
LED Mast light
Replace Thru Hulls

If anyone could chime in on appropriate equipment that is sutible for the size of boat (especially the electronics) that would allow the boat to be out for multi days, I would really appreciate it.
Thanks for any help.
Attached Thumbnails
C&C30Aug18.jpg  
post #16 of 18 Old 05-20-2019

I'm a new 1979 C&C 30 MK1 owner, When I inspected my boat I saw there there is wire connections for 2 batteries. If its like my camper van one is for the appliance a deep cycle battery and the other a normal battery for the motor. Could anyone direct me to what batteries to get and what is the placement of the batteries. how do I know which wires to use with each battery maybe there is schema somewhere I haven't found yet. Thanks for your help.
Attached Thumbnails
CnCSailboat.JPG  
post #17 of 18 Old 05-20-2019

Most boats of your size and age had two Group 24 or 27 batteries and a 1-2-Both-Off switch. Either was used to start the engine and run the lights, electronics, etc. Going that route is fine. An upgrade would be two golf cart batteries for a house bank and a start battery. No battery boxes? Get some if not.
The Following User Says Thank You to JimsCAL For This Useful Post:
Daniel Young (05-20-2019)
post #18 of 18 Old 4 Weeks Ago
al brazzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Young View Post
I'm a new 1979 C&C 30 MK1 owner, When I inspected my boat I saw there there is wire connections for 2 batteries. If its like my camper van one is for the appliance a deep cycle battery and the other a normal battery for the motor. Could anyone direct me to what batteries to get and what is the placement of the batteries. how do I know which wires to use with each battery maybe there is schema somewhere I haven't found yet. Thanks for your help.
Not sure I understand the question, are you referring to a place to connect at the 1/2/ all switch with no cables connected then you would need to add a Battery, find a place for it and run cables. If you have cables and no Battery then you just need to know what Battery will fit. In any event you want a Battery box and depending on space available choose a Battery for that space.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in