New C&C 30 MKI owner - SailNet Community
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 12-23-2016 Thread Starter

New C&C 30 MKI owner

Hi Everyone,

First off, I'm very new to sailing. I took a sailing course last summer and fell in love with it. I have since bought a C&C 30 MKI, I'm tickled pink, looking forward to unwrapping it, it is stored away for winter. I plan to work on gaining some sailing experience and sail my boat from Maine to New Brunswick in June. I would like to gain some advice on safely making the boat ready, such as equipment and rigging the boat.
My list of upgrades is low, I think it may need expanding, so far I have;

Bottom paint
Paint Hull
Batteries
Paint Mast
Repair Mast step
Radar
Radar Reflector
Autopilot
Chartplotter
LED Mast light
Replace Thru Hulls

If anyone could chime in on appropriate equipment that is sutible for the size of boat (especially the electronics) that would allow the boat to be out for multi days, I would really appreciate it.
Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 12-23-2016

Re: New C&C 30 MKI owner

Congrats on the new boat! Sailing will change your life in the best way possible

As far as equipment goes, having an autopilot and all the electronic goodies is great but I really encourage you to practice sailing without them and become proficient. Use instruments to augment your sailing instead of telling you how to sail.

I sailed for 6 years on a boat with no electronics other than running lights. My new boat has all the goodies but I rarely need to use them because sailing without for so long gives you an intuitive feel for it. They could all go out and I would be able to sail back home just fine. That to me is the best piece of "equipment".

You are going to have a lot of fun and make some great memories with your boat. I wish you all the best!
seabeau likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to blobaugh For This Useful Post:
tom135ca (12-23-2016)
post #3 of 18 Old 12-23-2016
Wes

I'd have a look at the stuffing box, maybe have a go at repacking/adjusting it so you'll know how...Check the rig carefully, chainplates, terminations at all shrouds. I'm not big on "required" electronics so whatever the budget allows is fine - don't fall into that "electronics gotta-have" pit. You really just need a compass and a chart (paper) and know how to work them.

Oh, I just saw you were from up North...maybe consider HEAT...:-)

Just broad reachin' through life...
Alberg 30/ #196 Griffin's Faith
The Following User Says Thank You to Wes For This Useful Post:
tom135ca (12-23-2016)

post #4 of 18 Old 12-23-2016
Sailor

Welcome to the forum. I did my thru hulls 2 years ago on my C&C 25.
Replacing Thru-Hulls and Seacocks Photo Gallery by Compass Marine How To at pbase.com
Good luck with the boat
seabeau likes this.
post #5 of 18 Old 12-23-2016

My philosophy when I bought my boat was
1)Safety
2)Creature Comfort
3)Aesthetics

As such, I did the thru-hulls, had a rigger check the mast and standing rigging (replaced one chainplate), new batteries, sealed leaky portholes, and did on-board overhaul of motor in the first year. We sailed it "ugly" for the first year but had a great season. The second winter I scraped, sanded and painted the bottom, painted the hull and topsides, refinished the teak and bought a new headsail. My only instruments are a compass and depth finder. I use an Ipad as my chart plotter. I'm adding autopilot this winter as well as a dodger and a few other odds and ends.
Good luck.

s/v Harmony
1973 Tartan 30 #186
Anchorage Marina, Baltimore MD
post #6 of 18 Old 12-23-2016
Barquito

I would skip painting the mast and hull the first year. Unless you have a heated storage, you won't be able to do this outside in your time frame. I would imaging a working radar would be a good thing for where you sail. Plan on having things added to your list... possibly after you launch. You don't know what you don't know, until you do!

Valiant 32
The Following User Says Thank You to Barquito For This Useful Post:
tom135ca (12-23-2016)
post #7 of 18 Old 12-23-2016
al brazzi

Personal and Boat safety first. Then repair and upgrade with a priority list. You will get to a point every year where the Maintenance slows (hopefully) and you just use the Boat while making a list. Too hot to work on it etc. It takes at least 3 years to get to know your Boat and at that vintage you will never end the list, don't be discouraged by that comment its just a reality of ownership. You picked a good first boat too.
CalebD likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to albrazzi For This Useful Post:
tom135ca (12-23-2016)
post #8 of 18 Old 12-23-2016 Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions, much appreciated. Lol, I think my maintenance lists grow every year with my vehicles. Being Ex Military I'm very OCD. The nice thing about where I live is the boat comes out during the winter months, lol, the sad thing is my boat is out in the winter and not sailing.
post #9 of 18 Old 12-23-2016

Go check out C&C Yachts - C&C Photo Album & Resource Center it's a great resource for c&c owners and any upgrades or changes you might contemplate somebody on that site will have already bee there, and have instructions/parts lists to help you out. Just sold my c&c 30 this fall, great boat ,
you'll enjoy it !
The Following User Says Thank You to dinosdad For This Useful Post:
tom135ca (12-24-2016)
post #10 of 18 Old 12-24-2016
Remember you're a womble

Wouldn't bother painting the mast, it's an aluminium spar so any paint is going to be coming off again in a few years anyway. Great boat, very stable, very forgiving. Enjoy
tom135ca likes this.

Orange Crush
1974 C&C27 MkII

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in