C&C 35 Mark 2 - SailNet Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 02-25-2017 Thread Starter

C&C 35 Mark 2

Greetings,

I am new to the net. I am looking at a C&C35 Mark2 that has a modified keel (12" longer, overall draft 6' -8") and a taller mast (don't know how much).

The keel to hull joint is cracked and the seller says he has to bondo it each year to keep it smooth but it doesn't leak. Also, the rig has been modified as stated above and the shrouds go to one chain plate/hull bulkhead plate that has partly separated from the hull. [It looks like the original rig attache to two bulkheads beacause there are two about a foot apart under the deck rail. The hull is sunk in where this chainplate/bulkhead attaches to the hull.

Is the inside cabin deck liner supposed to be laminated to the core? It is unattached in most places although the deck doesn't seem spongy and tapping doesn't reveal soft spots except around one area around the shroud through deck plate.

Also, the standing rigging has mostly been converted to cable.

On a boat this old, is this typical? It seems the modifications would put more stress on the rig and hull, is this a problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 02-25-2017
al brazzi

Re: C&C 35 Mark 2

I would start with an un-modified Boat. What you are describing is major work to remedy even on a Boat operating as designed, there could and probably is more damage to the structure than you describe. I would walk away. There are so many nice old Boats out there looking for a new home you don't need to deal with all this. It is always recomended you pre-survey any Boat yourself and it looks like you have done a good job of that on this one.
post #3 of 17 Old 02-25-2017

I'd say this one's a 'walk away'...

Sounds like the added stress of the extra ballast/righting moment and the non standard rig has undone the boat's structural integrity.

There are too many decent boats 'out there' to continue with this one.. no matter the price.
olson34 likes this.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

post #4 of 17 Old 02-26-2017 Thread Starter

Thank you for the quick replies. I am coming to the same conclusion you each have posted. The owner is asking $5000.00 and has been honest about the "problems", at least the ones he knows about. The modifications were done before he bought the boat 15 years ago. He has sailed it (mostly raced) for these 15 years but has done very little maint. I sort of had this idea about fixing it to be "exactly what I wanted" but when I think about the time and materials to get there (I figure 400-500 hrs plus materials) it just doesn't work. I am a mechanical engineer and like to mess with sailboats so the challenge is appealing but I just can't get the numbers to work.
post #5 of 17 Old 02-26-2017
al brazzi

Good call, all too often someone has made up their mind and these posts are a way of talking themselves into something. A Boat like this modified will have a shorter practical lifespan and reversing these Mods are WAY too expensive. The C&C name is one of the best out there so keep looking, careful of cored hulls, most (of these Boats) are, and though not an automatic issue something to watch.
Good hunting sometimes the search is more fun than the ownership.
post #6 of 17 Old 02-26-2017

The C&C "smile" between the keel/hull is pretty common, the rest of the problems described would make this a run don't walk away for me.
As stated above too many good boats available for very reasonable prices to stick yourself with that one.
C&C made a great boat, that's what I sail. Good chance my next one will be another C&C.

That is a horse head in the box. Not an alien!
post #7 of 17 Old 02-26-2017

Hi Tanski , I'm not quite so sure I would give up on that old gal for 5K . Or at least if the engine still runs . Lots of boats get the smile , I helped my bud fix his Catalina 30's smile last year . You don't have to do everything all at once . But on the other hand it's absolutely your call . If you don't mind what is your budget ? I take it you are looking for a performance cruiser . What are your plans for using the boat ? Anyway good luck .
C&C 35-1(REDWING 35) sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

Westsail 28 , Patricia A
post #8 of 17 Old 02-26-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markwesti View Post
Hi Tanski , I'm not quite so sure I would give up on that old gal for 5K . Or at least if the engine still runs . Lots of boats get the smile ,....
Mark.. it wasn't Tanski doing the shopping, reread post #1.. the keel and rig were modified from original, chainplates are pulling and the hull is dimpled at the shrouds.. these are not good signs; the boat is essentially a 'one-off' now and even at $5K I think you'd be putting 2-3 times+ more into it to set things straight.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #9 of 17 Old 02-26-2017

Tanks, I wouldn't touch this boat if it were free. The keel issue deserves a deeper look, but the rigging/chain plate matter is really scary.

If you want to scratch your engineer itch, buy a clean, well-maintained boat and you will find there are lots of things to apply your engineering instincts to.

It appears you've come to the right conclusion.
post #10 of 17 Old 02-26-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markwesti View Post
Hi Tanski , I'm not quite so sure I would give up on that old gal for 5K . Or at least if the engine still runs . Lots of boats get the smile , I helped my bud fix his Catalina 30's smile last year . You don't have to do everything all at once . But on the other hand it's absolutely your call . If you don't mind what is your budget ? I take it you are looking for a performance cruiser . What are your plans for using the boat ? Anyway good luck .
C&C 35-1(REDWING 35) sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
I'm not the one shoping for a new boat! You need to start reading at the top of the thread. Also never said the smile was a deal breaker, said it was common. Fixed mine on MY C&C a few years ago so I know what's involved. Dropped the keel, cleaned everything up and rebedded with 5200. So far it hasn't re-appeared.
That boat sounds like a junker from the description of the other problems. Never get your money back out of it and lose a lot of good sailing time. Why buy a problem boat when it's a buyers market for used boats?

That is a horse head in the box. Not an alien!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in