C&C 38 - Landfall - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 05-25-2017 Thread Starter

C&C 38 - Landfall

Hello Folks,

About to take over a 1982 38' Landfall, any first thoughts? I actually didn't even notice if the boat had a windlass... I was excited! Does anyone know of a place where I can get used sails and canvas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-25-2017
Barquito

Re: C&C 38 - Landfall

I like the cabin layout in those. Makes sense, to me, to have the head at the bottom of the companionway steps, at midship. I doubt you will find any second hand canvas that fits your boat. You can get used sails. Just google used sails. It would be best to find a local place for the used sails in order to take them out to see if they have any shape left.

Valiant 32
post #3 of 9 Old 05-25-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick.a7 View Post
Hello Folks,

About to take over a 1982 38' Landfall, any first thoughts? I actually didn't even notice if the boat had a windlass... I was excited! Does anyone know of a place where I can get used sails and canvas?
About to take over?? Buying or dropped in your lap? Interesting boats, unconventional layout as mentioned but in some ways ahead of their time.

Cruisier boats than the normal C&C line but with the traditional good lines and C&C sheer. Good cockpit.

Sails, dodgers, and other canvas are mostly custom. You may have some luck finding used sails that sorta fit, but generally not much second hand canvas is likely to fit without modification, and in any event it's rather rare, something available is probably pretty much worn out.

One other thought.. if buying sails and canvas is going to be an issue, perhaps you're biting off more than you can chew on several other fronts like moorage, routine maintenance, haulouts, bottom paint, etc etc. Many of these costs are exponentially higher with increasing length.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

post #4 of 9 Old 05-25-2017

Buy new sails and get 10-15 years out of them, buy used sails and replace in 5-7 IF your lucky, a GOOD set of used sails is way more than half the price of new. False economy in my books.

That is a horse head in the box. Not an alien!
post #5 of 9 Old 05-25-2017

A nice place to camp/weekend while you getter figured out and the initial adrenaline rush washes out...
post #6 of 9 Old 05-25-2017
Dirt Free

Do a thorough bottom sounding and moisture metering before spending major money. Many of those older balsa cored bottoms are at the end of their lifespan.

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.
post #7 of 9 Old 06-07-2017 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
About to take over?? Buying or dropped in your lap? Interesting boats, unconventional layout as mentioned but in some ways ahead of their time.

Cruisier boats than the normal C&C line but with the traditional good lines and C&C sheer. Good cockpit.

Sails, dodgers, and other canvas are mostly custom. You may have some luck finding used sails that sorta fit, but generally not much second hand canvas is likely to fit without modification, and in any event it's rather rare, something available is probably pretty much worn out.

One other thought.. if buying sails and canvas is going to be an issue, perhaps you're biting off more than you can chew on several other fronts like moorage, routine maintenance, haulouts, bottom paint, etc etc. Many of these costs are exponentially higher with increasing length.
Thanks, about the ":One thought....", keep unrequested opinion to yourself and a lot more people might like you. I can afford it. I just want to reuse.
post #8 of 9 Old 06-07-2017 Thread Starter

Thank you.
post #9 of 9 Old 06-07-2017 Thread Starter

Thant's a good point. Thanks.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in