1983 C&C 32 restoration thread - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 04-14-2018 Thread Starter

1983 C&C 32 restoration thread

Proud new owner of this beautiful boat, no moisture in the hull or deck, engine seems to be in good order though it's the original yanmar 2gm. I have a fair bit of sailing experience though ownership is new to me. I will start by saying I have no idea what I'm doing.

Really happy the systems work and the sails are relatively new.

But she smells. And none of the seacocks close. And most of the lines are dry rot.

So, I have some work to do!

First step is replace all lines, starting with the sanitation system.

When trying to close the seacock for the head discharge the line came off... Thank The gods I decided to try and get all my seacocks closing before I put her in the water, could have sank at mooring!

Took out the lectrasan system as it seems to be the source of the smell. It was full of brown sludgy water, seems like it should have been flushed before winterizing. Anyone able to comment?

Also took off all canvas for cleaning and some 303 love as a lot of threads seem to recommend that to bring sail covers and dodgers back to life.

Cushions are all original and smell, because of my wonderful sanitation system. Hoping they air out and don't smell when I put them back in, though they're on the list for replacement next off season either way.

Can't wait to get sailing!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20180414_155618_1523741880315.jpg   IMG_20180414_155602_1523741970271.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-17-2018 Thread Starter

4 of 7 seacocks close! Progress!

New issue, masthead light won't come on. Anyone able to recommend a good replacement? Would love to go LED but unsure what to buy. I haven't been up the mast yet, assuming the parts are original anyone know what masthead light is up there?
post #3 of 11 Old 05-05-2018

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: 1983 C&C 32 restoration thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by scituatesailor View Post
4 of 7 seacocks close! Progress!

New issue, masthead light won't come on. Anyone able to recommend a good replacement? Would love to go LED but unsure what to buy. I haven't been up the mast yet, assuming the parts are original anyone know what masthead light is up there?
Congrats on the new boat. You’ll love the build quality and sailing ability of it. It will take a few years to get her the way you want her.

Lots of good threads here on Sailnet

We own a 83. 35 ft MKIII k/cb model for 20 years or so

Here is a link to the C&C owners forum. Lots of good information and projects

C&C Yachts - C&C Photo Album & Resource Center

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

post #4 of 11 Old 05-07-2018 Thread Starter

All 7 close now and seem to be happy to be moving again, such a relief as its almost time to move into the water!

A rubber mallet, heat gun, and plenty of PB was the trick, backing off the nut on the side opposite the handle and hitting the valve out, not trying to rotate it, was what finally freed it up.

Now on to the lights! Bought a multimeter, needed tool for that sort of thing, to figure out what all the wires on the terminal bus by the mast went to. Found the bow nav lights were being sent power, and the lights themselves worked, but wouldn't turn on and no power at the fixture. Thanks to other threads checked the anchor well first and voila, horribly corroded butt connections. They fell apart the moment I put any pressure on them. Now to replace and think about a better long term fix down the road.

All lights are working, no open holes under the water line, I dare say I might be (almost) ready to try sailing!
post #5 of 11 Old 05-07-2018
Barquito

Quote:
A rubber mallet, heat gun, and plenty of PB was the trick, backing off the nut on the side opposite the handle and hitting the valve out, not trying to rotate it, was what finally freed it up.
If you didn't do so already, it would be a good idea to actually pull the cone out to make sure it looks to be in good condition. I had a seacock that was stiff. I pulled it out and found the cone had a lot of corrosion, and a very large crack. If cone looks good, they can be re-honed to fit the best.

Valiant 32
post #6 of 11 Old 05-07-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barquito View Post
If you didn't do so already, it would be a good idea to actually pull the cone out to make sure it looks to be in good condition.
That is good advice - I did inspect this one because it was such a fight, and, mostly because hitting it with a hammer made the cone pop out the side. So, while it was out, was hard to not be curious right?

The other six though, they're going to need some inspection and love. They move, and they move smoothly without any grinding, so I'm not too worried, but when I have her out next season I plan on taking them all apart, cleaning them up and putting them back together.
post #7 of 11 Old 07-03-2018 Thread Starter

Boats been in the water since June 2nd, and learned a few things! Sails great, firm in the water for her size and not being a full keel, really is a great mix of steady while still enjoyable to sail. Max wind so far has been about 15 knots (sustained, higher gusts), I found I can get hull speed and a nice sail under genoa alone, which is awesome. Understand 15 knots isn't a test, but it is the upper end of normal which I'll see most of the time.

Of course, the gear shift handle broke off in my hand during my first mooring. Had since been replaced with a screwdriver while I fabricate a new one. Nothing says "yacht" like shifting with a flathead.

The bilge pump automatic switch doesn't work all the time, which is confusing and frustrating. Bought the replacement, just need to find the time to replace it before my boat finds the bottom!

Also found that I really do want the gps to be mounted at the wheel, right now the system lives on the nav station inside and I'm not comfortable sailing blind in Boston harbor. Not sure if that's something to take on in season or after haul out.

All those companies are minor, standing rigging is solid, one small leak when it really rains and my family of 5 fits great.

Sailed across the bay to Provincetown, saw a seal! First for me, normal for a lot of people I'm sure. Ran the engine the whole 9 hours back to Hull without issue, thrilled at the performance. 4 adults slept comfortable at mooring, though I will say I had the vbirth and was surprised how bouncy it was. Won't volunteer for that again.

Current to do list:

Replace all running rigging
Upgrade all lights to led
Figure out why deck lights don't turn on
Move gps to helm
Replace all mast wires
Run conduit through mast to reduce noise
Sail more
Catch a fish
post #8 of 11 Old 07-03-2018
Administrator

If you do move the GPS back to the binnacle, I suggest mounting it on a swivel so you can see it from astern of the binnacle when motoring, or from aside when sailing. Here is the one that I made for my boat.

Jeff

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay

Last edited by Jeff_H; 07-03-2018 at 04:34 PM. Reason: Pictures do not show
post #9 of 11 Old 07-03-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by scituatesailor View Post
Nothing says "yacht" like shifting with a flathead.
Or opening your jar of Grey Poupon with a pair of vice grips.

Pick up your blazer and ascot at the Club and welcome aboard.

Last edited by mstern; 07-03-2018 at 05:34 PM.
post #10 of 11 Old 07-04-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
If you do move the GPS back to the binnacle, I suggest mounting it on a swivel so you can see it from astern of the binnacle when motoring, or from aside when sailing.
That's a great idea Jeff, will need to look into that.

Can you post a picture from where your wires go through the cockpit floor? Haven't figured out how I want to go about it yet.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in