Rudder Noise - SailNet Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By MarkofSeaLife
  • 1 Post By SeaStar58

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 04-16-2018 Thread Starter

Rudder Noise

Hi there,
I'm new to Sailnet and sailing in general.
We have a beautiful 1984 C&C 29 MKII.

Late last season I began getting a vibration in my rudder as well as a faint thumping noise during tacks and turns.

The boat is on the hard. The radius, cables, chain, sheaves, rudder post etc all look great from below. I've greased the rudder post.

Unfortunately, turning the rudder manually results in the same rough turn throughout the entire rudder arc in both directions. The thumping noise persists.

I'm thinking bearings of course but has anyone in this forum encountered these symptoms and can you please share your solutions?

Thanks
Steve T.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-16-2018
Master Mariner

Re: Rudder Noise

If the boat is on the hard, why not get a professional to take a look? It's pretty hard for us to imagine your problem w/o turning the rudder personally.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
The Following User Says Thank You to capta For This Useful Post:
82Vanner (04-17-2018)
post #3 of 9 Old 04-16-2018

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82Vanner View Post

I'm thinking bearings of course but has anyone in this forum encountered these symptoms and can you please share your solutions?

Thanks
Steve T.
Yes. Rudder bearings. It's not a big job. We, it wasn't for my beneteau.
RegisteredUser likes this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
The Following User Says Thank You to MarkofSeaLife For This Useful Post:
82Vanner (04-17-2018)

post #4 of 9 Old 04-16-2018 Thread Starter

Well that certainly makes a lot of sense.

I have had a few people take a quick look.
Everyone has said if "lubricating the rudder tube doesn't correct it... (tube/rudder shaft was very dry), the rudder should be dropped"

I guess that's my next course of action. Just hoping to avoid the additional work. I'll post the results. Perhaps take a few pictures.

Thanks for your input and advice! Truly appreciated.

Steve T.
post #5 of 9 Old 04-17-2018

The bearing should be changed. The most difficult part is dropping the rudder. You either have to dig the ground under the rudder or raise the boat with a crane. The rest is easy.
The Following User Says Thank You to celenoglu For This Useful Post:
82Vanner (04-17-2018)
post #6 of 9 Old 04-17-2018 Thread Starter

Hi there,

Thank you everyone for your help!
I do believe that the rudder must be dropped and the bearings replaced.

On my C&C 29 MKII, the top of the rudder extends through the cockpit sole....conventional and "normal".
The rudder is retained and kept from dropping with an un-threaded nut through which two set-screws are passed and which capture the top of the rudder by screwing into two machined indentations in the rudder shaft. The collar and shaft turn as one unit.

Directly below the radius is clamped conventionally to the rudder shaft. It appears as though the lower "Clamp" part of the clamp comes into direct contact with the fiberglass rudder post through which the rudder shaft goes......it appears as though this is the weight or, load bearing component of this otherwise conventional steering set-up. There is no rubber "Boot" or mechanical seal at the top of the post. There does not appear to be a nylon or plastic type bearing/bushing either.......as there is at the bottom of the boat where the shaft exite and rudder proper begins.
I've seen generic photos of similar steering systems but not of this particular system. No details in my original manual, nothing on-line.

I'm kind of wondering if there is supposed to be a nylon spacer under the un-threaded nut at the top of the cockpit sole. It would act as a bearing and also "lift" the shaft 1/16- 1/8th inch. It would get the weight of the rudder/radius etc off the top of the fiberglass rudder post......I'll still replace all of the bearings......but I'm wondering If I'm missing the top bearing/spacer.
I guess I'll have to persuade another MKII owner to let me dismantle the top end to have a look.....unless any of you guys have experience with this.

Thanks!
Steve T
post #7 of 9 Old 04-17-2018

There may have been a UHMW (Ultra High Molecular Weight) bearing (self lubricating plastic washer) there. I have used 1/8" to 1/4" UHMW stock (AKA "Saw Slick") from the jig and tool fence section of the local Woodcraft store to make my own replacements with some good success.

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/uhmw-sheet-1-4-thick
RegisteredUser likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to SeaStar58 For This Useful Post:
82Vanner (04-17-2018)
post #8 of 9 Old 04-17-2018 Thread Starter

Thank you SeaStar58!!

The washer solution just came to me as I was writing the last post. The fact that there isn't one beneath the retaining ring seemed odd to me.
I'll be on the search for material. If it ever stops raining/snowing in Nova Scotia, I might actually be able to get sailing. We had a great winter here but we're
paying for it now.

Truly appreciate your help!!!
Steve T.
post #9 of 9 Old 05-05-2018

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82Vanner View Post
Thank you SeaStar58!!

The washer solution just came to me as I was writing the last post. The fact that there isn't one beneath the retaining ring seemed odd to me.
I'll be on the search for material. If it ever stops raining/snowing in Nova Scotia, I might actually be able to get sailing. We had a great winter here but we're
paying for it now.

Truly appreciate your help!!!
Steve T.
Join and post the question on the C&C owners forum.
We have a spacer on our rudder post. Sounds like bearings to me

Dig a hole under the rudder (3ft) and drop it. That way you can look at the whole assembly
BTW the C&C owners forum also sells detailed manuals for each model

South Shore Yachts works on C&C and has many parts. Some of their technicians used to work for C&C

C&C Yachts - C&C Photo Album & Resource Center

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in