Thinking of buying a C&C 115 or 121 - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 07-03-2018 Thread Starter

Thinking of buying a C&C 115 or 121

Hey everyone,

I am in the process of finalizing my short list for our next yacht purchase. As my wife sees more boats our budget, and the size of our next boat seems to be growing! At this point the range we are looking at includes late model Beneteaus, Jeanneaus, Bavarias etc. many of those boats have lovely interiors, and all the amenities the wife wants, but I know I will be sacrificing performance....

Enter C&C!

I have realized that in the price range we are looking there are a number of 115s and 121s! they are a few years older than the other makes for the same money, but DAMN! maybe I don't have to sacrifice performance after all!

So I am looking for feedback from C&C owners regarding the good and the bad of this latest generation of C&Cs. Are there any problems I should watch out for? Are the boats aging gracefully?

When it comes to boat handling, my wife is concerned that a 121 might be too much boat for the 2 of us to sail. Obviously the boat is going to power up quicker than your typical 393 or 39i, but is it still manageable double or even single handed? I sure like the idea of getting to our destination a couple of knots quicker...but not if I am too exhausted to lift my beer when we get there!

Thoughts?

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-03-2018

Re: Thinking of buying a C&C 115 or 121

Calling BarryL! (He posts here and has one).

I completely understand where you are coming from. I like the C&Cs of that vintage because of the nice balance of performance and cruising comfort. The main negative from my point of view is the deep draft. Makes getting into some of my favorite places difficult or impossible. Other similar boats are the J's like the J109 or the Bene Firsts like the 36.7. These boats were offered with a shoal keel, but they are hard to find. The racers usually went for the deep keel. If you are willing to go a bit older, look for a J37C.

S/V First Tracks
1985 Cal 33-2
post #3 of 8 Old 07-04-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsCAL View Post
Calling BarryL! (He posts here and has one).

I completely understand where you are coming from. I like the C&Cs of that vintage because of the nice balance of performance and cruising comfort. The main negative from my point of view is the deep draft. Makes getting into some of my favorite places difficult or impossible. Other similar boats are the J's like the J109 or the Bene Firsts like the 36.7. These boats were offered with a shoal keel, but they are hard to find. The racers usually went for the deep keel. If you are willing to go a bit older, look for a J37C.
Draft is not really an issue around here, in fact in my home waters my rig will hit the trees before the keel hits bottom! shoal draft is a deal breaker for me!

The wife doesn't like the interior of the 36.7, and I am not a big fan of J boats. (except maybe a J160...I could make do with one of those!)

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura

post #4 of 8 Old 07-04-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchockT View Post
Draft is not really an issue around here, in fact in my home waters my rig will hit the trees before the keel hits bottom! shoal draft is a deal breaker for me!

The wife doesn't like the interior of the 36.7, and I am not a big fan of J boats. (except maybe a J160...I could make do with one of those!)
I was thinking the same thing about draft, not an issue on the west coast. B 36.7 is a fun race boat but I'm with our wife too spartan, probably much like your Schock. Check out the other .7 series. I have spent a lot of time on both B36.7 and B42.7. They are night and day in interior comfort. I have heard the 40.7 is somewhere in between.

You should check out this boat, near you.
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/199...a#.Wz0zLC2ZOU0

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 Old 07-05-2018

Hey,

The 115 is a really great boat. I have 110, one friend has a 115 and another has a 121. The 115 is the better boat - newer, faster, higher tech, etc. The 121 hull originally was fiberglass, then transitioned to epoxy. The rig changed a few times over the years. Some came with a retractable sprit, others didn't. The 115 all were epoxy and I believe came with carbon fiber rig.

The 115 is more money than the 121. If that's in your budget I would recommend it.

You can sail the boat short handed, use a small headsail and be careful but you can do it.

Good luck,
Barry

Barry Lenoble
Deep Blue C, 2002 C&C 110
Mt. Sinai, NY

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 Old 07-15-2018 Thread Starter

We looked at a 121 the other day. From a performance perspective I really liked what I saw, although the example we looked at had a shoal draft keel... although if the price were right it wouldn't be a big deal to have a new deep draft keep cast and installed. (Quoted at around $20kcdn). It had a carbon mast and dieform rigging.

Unfortunately where the 121 failed was the interior. All the cabinets were tiny! The wife could not find a single cabinet that could fit a normal size dinner plate! Seriously! On a 40ft boat! Then we started thinking where would we put our 3 inflatable kayaks, and we couldn't find a single place they could be stored where they wouldn't be in the way! We have carried these same kayaks on our 30' boat for years without them getting in the way.
So I liked the performance potential, but there would be way too many compromises for cruising, so C&C has been scratched off the list.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura
post #7 of 8 Old 07-16-2018

Time to take a look at a J109.

S/V First Tracks
1985 Cal 33-2
post #8 of 8 Old 07-16-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchockT View Post
Unfortunately where the 121 failed was the interior. All the cabinets were tiny! The wife could not find a single cabinet that could fit a normal size dinner plate! Seriously! On a 40ft boat!
That's too bad. WHen I looked at photos of the 121 it looks like a nice interior, but I guess they gave up storage space for other things. The B42.7 I raced on rates around 60 at PHRF so pretty fast and sails easily to that rating, while supporting a nice galley with two good sized fridges. The Starboard locker is about 5 feet deep. You could store more inflatable kayaks in there than you could use.

Good luck in your search.

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in