C&C 32 can anyone tell me about them? - SailNet Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 Old 08-26-2019 Thread Starter
Freedom isn't free

Dock
C&C 32 can anyone tell me about them?

I have severe 2 foot itis right now. I've moved to a larger lake, and the option of a travel lift, and a crane as well as deep enough water to support larger sized sailboats has me looking towards something bigger.

Unlike a lot of folks, I don't have any misconceptions that I'll instantly get a bunch more folks sailing with me, I just want something bigger with more "big boat" handling. I also hate to go slow, which is why all my boats have had a decent turn of speed (Capri 22, Capri 25, S2 7.9 and now my Wavelength 24). So I'd like something with style, and decent speed for its size (doesn't need to a J in speed, just not a slug).

Our marina is also a broker, and they have several boats for sale I may be able to afford should the stars align (we sell our horse trailer, and I sell my boat - we've done both before and I don't anticipate a problem with either). Anyway, there is a nice 1983 C&C 32 in the marina, as well an older Catalina (1980) 30 tall rig. There are 2 other boats that I might consider as well, one is a 1989 Hunter 30 and an older 1984 Hunter 31. Of the boats I've nearly listed them in order of my preference, but the C&C to me seems the one that pushes my buttons the most.

I've viewed the C&C on the outside so far, and noted these things... It has a recent roller furler (probably last 4 years), a nearly new horse blanket for the main, and the main itself looks newish (maybe it was refurbed, but it seems clean and crisp and might have come with the North Sails horse blanket - 2013 maybe?). Looks like the running rigging is newer, and the standing rigging looks clean.

I could go on about the other boats for sale and their plusses and minuses but I want to see this boat below and hear the engine run. A couple club members mentioned they know the owner, and he's sailed the boat frequently.

What I want to know is has anyone sailed this model C&C and what are its faults/strengths?

Freedom, a 1983 C&C 32 sailing Smith Mountain Lake, VA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 08-26-2019

Dock
Re: C&C 32 can anyone tell me about them?

Nothing first hand but...

C&C 32

Considering an Ď81 C&C 32, looking for your thoughts. - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
post #3 of 25 Old 08-26-2019

No direct experience either. Do like that the 32 has a solid glass hull, so no potential issues with a cored hull that some of the larger C&Cs of similar vintage could have. PHRF base rating in 171 which is not particularly fast for a 32 footer. For example, my 1985 Cal 33 has a base rating of 132.

S/V First Tracks
1985 Cal 33-2

post #4 of 25 Old 08-26-2019

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Iíve sailed on a friends 32 quite frequently. They are nimble and tight sailing. Not quite as stiff as the balsa cored boats but certainly very responsive. For your purposes they are a step up from the others on your list.

The 32 wonít be a Cal ( quick boats) but wonít be a slug either. The added length and weigh will give you a different feel than what you currently sail.

Itís all about the condition itís in.

For spec, pictures and issues check the C&C owners site
C&C Yachts - C&C Photo Album & Resource Center

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ďSailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.Ē- Dennis Conner
post #5 of 25 Old 08-26-2019 Thread Starter
Freedom isn't free

Dock

chef, if money were no object I'd love a Cal 33. There was a super nice one for sale close by, but the hauling/shipping even the short 2-3 hour difference would have been over the top what I can spend.

The C&C 32 seems more like a 31, whereas the Cal 33 is more of a 34 as I recall.

with a speed similar to the Catalina 320 which as I understand it, is a pretty good handicap racer... I thought it wouldn't be to slow. Not sure where you saw that rating Jim, maybe PHRF NE is off?
CATALINA 320 153
C+C 32 159

post #6 of 25 Old 08-26-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingUphill View Post
with a speed similar to the Catalina 320 which as I understand it, is a pretty good handicap racer... I thought it wouldn't be to slow. Not sure where you saw that rating Jim, maybe PHRF NE is off?
CATALINA 320 153
C+C 32 159
Numbers I quoted were from the Western Long Island Sound database. Every region assigns their own numbers and there is variation. But checking a few others, about 170 seems to be pretty typical. But don't get hung up on the number. It doesn't tell the whole story. I am sure the C&C 32 is a sweet sailing boat.

S/V First Tracks
1985 Cal 33-2
post #7 of 25 Old 08-27-2019

I looked at a few of these boats before I ended up with my Mirage 33. I actually had offers in on 2 of them pending a clean inspection. On both those failed offers I found substantial structural damage to the floors underneath the cabin sole. They are solid good sailing boats from everything I know of, however they will show any major collision down below the sole. If you do consider one make sure to see if the owner will allow you to lift the sole boards on the stbd side and center line. That's where I found the majority of the damage. On one I visited the owner had a crazy story about being under sail at 6kts and slamming into a rock reef while reading a book. He swore it wasn't the 32 I was coming to see though....yet the floors were smashed when I looked at it which was either from sailing into a rock reef at 6kts or being dropped from a crane.
SailingUphill likes this.

Some youtube videos, nothing fancy

post #8 of 25 Old 08-27-2019 Thread Starter
Freedom isn't free

Dock

Jim, I get you, looks like I am seeing "Cruising configuration" numbers. Cause my S2 7.9 rates PHRF 177 if you use those numbers, and that was no slow boat.

Guy, thanks for the tip, I'll look.
At the prices I am looking at, I'll probably be doing my own inspection.

post #9 of 25 Old 08-27-2019
Dirt Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingUphill View Post
Jim, I get you, looks like I am seeing "Cruising configuration" numbers. Cause my S2 7.9 rates PHRF 177 if you use those numbers, and that was no slow boat.

Guy, thanks for the tip, I'll look.
At the prices I am looking at, I'll probably be doing my own inspection.
Doing your own inspection ?
This may help
Marine Survey 101, pre-survey inspection

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.
post #10 of 25 Old 08-27-2019

I think you may be disappointed in the 32 after owning a 7.9. While I do agree that it would be the best choice of the other boats mentioned I don't think the 32 was one of C&C's better designs. To be comparable to the 7.9 in a 32-35' boat you would need a phrf base below 150 at the very least and more like 140. You'll definitely want to sail one a couple of times before you make your decision. If performance is not that much of a concern (Liar Liar Pants on Fire Nose as long as a Telephone Wire) ( I say this because it's easy to say one doesn't care about performance until some whippersnapper starts to overtake you when you're out cruising ) God Forbid it should be a well sailed Catalina 30T. that would be just downright disgusting.
SailingUphill likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in