411 on C&C 27 Mk V - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 09-24-2019 Thread Starter

411 on C&C 27 Mk V

Hows it go, up, down and any other fun facts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-25-2019
Freedom isn't free

Dock
Re: 411 on C&C 27 Mk V

C&C build quality is good.
Speed is OK, its a good PHRF boat for its class if sailed well. It'll still finish behind the "racers" S2, J, B, etc, but it will be ahead of the Catalinas, Hunters, and Odays.

I think within that list the C&C and the S2s are similar in build quality and finish.

To me the C&C 27 is a true/good racer/cruiser playing both sides of course means master of neither. For a lot of us, that is OK.

Freedom, a 1983 C&C 32 sailing Smith Mountain Lake, VA
post #3 of 8 Old 09-26-2019

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Will sailing better than the B too. C&C will Point better than most similar sized boats and is not only a champ in light air but good off the wind too. A good sailor can be competitive with the J and Cals. Very tight and responsive steering

Comfort for cruising better than most except the Catalina. C&C and good dual purpose boa.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

post #4 of 8 Old 09-26-2019 Thread Starter

Oh ok that's interesting about light air. I somehow from somewhere got the impression it struggled a little in those conditions which is what we gots lots of here. Guess it needs a big genny but I optimize for single handing so am thinking 135-140ish deck sweeper on furler and then code 6 main (big roach) with assortment of asso. off sprit.

Might even freak out and lose the inboard for electric out board. I like not pulling a buncha' junk throught the water....
And I like what I read about S2 build/performance but just can't wrap my head around that interior.....

Last edited by Drinky Crow; 09-26-2019 at 12:26 AM.
post #5 of 8 Old 09-26-2019

When’re do you sail?
What are you sailing now?h
C&C are notorious for being good light air boats

Not sure how you can even compare. The S2 interior. Looks like IKEA on a diet. No headroom Choppy.

PHRF New England - Handicapping - Base Handicaps

C&C Yachts - C&C Photo Album & Resource Center

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #6 of 8 Old 09-26-2019
Freedom isn't free

Dock

If you are racing, then the S2 7.9 is a logical choice, its sails well to its rating and is a much faster boat. It also is hard to get one as inexpensive as the C&Cs usually are. the 7.9 is a 26 foot boat, not 27 and is significantly lighter/smaller, but again if racing is the primary focus, it'd serve you better.

The comparison was only for racing quality, and build quality.

If you want something quick, sails well to its rating, and is the same size, on the fast side, a Laser 28 (which I think are ugly, but they are fast as heck), or on the cruiser side, the J28, which still stands up well and sails well, but is heavy and prefers wind.

The C&C is good in light air due to a masthead rig,with an implied a 155 genoa. If one compares waterlines and displacement numbers, a similarly sized boat, the masthead rigs will generally do better in light air than fractionals (always exceptions mind you).

For the record, I doubt the C&C would outpoint the S2. I've found very little that would outpoint it. Once dialed in the S2 7.9 will point like a J80 (nope better).

Oh and if you look at an S2 27, then you will be more like an apples to apples comparison, and frankly I really like the layout of the 27. Our local club has one that is very nicely maintained, and I'd take it any day over a C&C 27. https://butchpetty.com/S2-Sales-Brochure.html Love it when folks setup websites for their boats and keep the brochures.

That being said, the C&C 27 is probably in the top 3 boats in the 27-28 foot range I'd love to own. My money would be on a J28, but only cause the cockpit layout is what I'd prefer. The thing I don't like about the C&C and the S2s is the transom hung rudder. I loved the control and bite I got with a nice deep spade at that size. Hell have one on my Wavelength and the boat steers with 2 fingers. The S2 always seemed to load up quickly with heel.

Freedom, a 1983 C&C 32 sailing Smith Mountain Lake, VA
post #7 of 8 Old 09-26-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingUphill View Post
If you are racing, then the S2 7.9 is a logical choice, its sails well to its rating and is a much faster boat. It also is hard to get one as inexpensive as the C&Cs usually are. the 7.9 is a 26 foot boat, not 27 and is significantly lighter/smaller, but again if racing is the primary focus, it'd serve you better.

The comparison was only for racing quality, and build quality.

If you want something quick, sails well to its rating, and is the same size, on the fast side, a Laser 28 (which I think are ugly, but they are fast as heck), or on the cruiser side, the J28, which still stands up well and sails well, but is heavy and prefers wind.

The C&C is good in light air due to a masthead rig,with an implied a 155 genoa. If one compares waterlines and displacement numbers, a similarly sized boat, the masthead rigs will generally do better in light air than fractionals (always exceptions mind you).

For the record, I doubt the C&C would outpoint the S2. I've found very little that would outpoint it. Once dialed in the S2 7.9 will point like a J80 (nope better).

Oh and if you look at an S2 27, then you will be more like an apples to apples comparison, and frankly I really like the layout of the 27. Our local club has one that is very nicely maintained, and I'd take it any day over a C&C 27. https://butchpetty.com/S2-Sales-Brochure.html Love it when folks setup websites for their boats and keep the brochures.

That being said, the C&C 27 is probably in the top 3 boats in the 27-28 foot range I'd love to own. My money would be on a J28, but only cause the cockpit layout is what I'd prefer. The thing I don't like about the C&C and the S2s is the transom hung rudder. I loved the control and bite I got with a nice deep spade at that size. Hell have one on my Wavelength and the boat steers with 2 fingers. The S2 always seemed to load up quickly with heel.
I tend to disagree. If you measure the phrf the S2 is 8-12 seconds per mile faster in the handicap races. That really not MUCH faster. The pointing ability of most C&C is well known as are their build quality.

Go inside both....there is no comparison.

PHRF ratings are based on comparable. The C&C doesn’t carry the 155 in those ratings

Not as many S2 as C&c so finding one in great shape may be more difficult if the interior doesn’t turn you off to start comparatively.

You can’t go wrong with either😄

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

post #8 of 8 Old 09-26-2019 Thread Starter

Ok both S2 7.9 and a C&C Mk V available - which is better single handed?

S2 frac rig w/that big main I hear guys do well with a 105-125 jib. But traveler is shin breaker that makes reaching cabin top controls an ordeal, 'specially in big air.

C&C - masthead means wrestling big genoa around that babystay but traveler on bridgedeck puts everthing to hand.

Oh yeah, in which boat would you rather hit a rock or more likely a lurking log at speed? On a dark and stormy.

Last edited by Drinky Crow; 09-26-2019 at 06:35 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in