5Likes
  • 1 Post By Turnin Turtle
  • 1 Post By dmkey
  • 2 Post By Turnin Turtle
  • 1 Post By SanderO

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 07-23-2017 Thread Starter

Aft Navigation Light

I have a 1990 Catalina 22. The wiring for my aft navigation light runs through the pushpin railing and comes out through a hole drilled in the rail. The metal on the edge of the hole has won away the insulation on the wiring for the light and now that's a problem.

Can anyone tell me how that wire is run from the panel to that spot where it exits the rail. I'll want to snake a new wire through there and I'm wondering how much wire to get and how to start the job.

Any idea?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DMKEY
"Perfect Partner"
1990 Catalina 22' Wing #15074
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-23-2017

Re: Aft Navigation Light

Different approach...

How much wire is available to work with? You need about 4 inches loose wire sticking out when you disconnect the light for this idea.

Disconnect the wire, Slide on heat shrink tube (commonly used in electric repairs and assembly today. Can even get it from Harbor Freight)

Slide the tube over the wire to cover the place insulation is damaged + at least 1 inch each side of it. Shrink the tube with a heat gun or common blow dryer. (or a butane lighter if you have to)

Then coat the ends of the heat shrink with liquid electrical tape (to ensure its sealed because its a boat)

If possible slide a rubber grommet down the wire and insert in the hole in the rail that caused the damage. If yo skip this you'll be repairing that wire again in a couple of years. As insulation gets older it is easier for those sharp edges to cut it.

Just a few minutes to fix instead of fighting to pull a wire which might even require you to pull your railings that the wire runs through.
T37Chef likes this.
post #3 of 10 Old 07-23-2017 Thread Starter

Thanks TT, but that ain't gonna do it.
My dad and I are sitting here around the kitchen table and he asked me, "how did the insulation get fraid to begin with?" The light is attached to a bracket that was welded to the pushpit just above the swim ladder. I guess over the years, enough folks kicked it to break the weld, then the light was hanging from the wire. As much wire as will come out of that pushpit is out, and it's right at the spot where the wire contacts the rail that the insulation is opened. I'm prettty sure we're running a new wire up in there.

I guess the wire probably comes up on the starboard side of the cockpit right above the battery compartment and enters the rail there. I'm thinking I'll tie a piece of string to the end of it and pull it back through the void to the panel and hten tie a new wire to the string and pull it back.

I'd just love to know more or see some pictures before I head out to the moring.
fallard likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DMKEY
"Perfect Partner"

post #4 of 10 Old 07-23-2017

Tie a messenger string to the rail end of the wire, wrap tight in elec tape.
Use a person holding the rail end while you are below poking and pulling wire until your helper hollers real loud.
Then pull that holler wire thru, measure it, add a ft, then pull new wire back thru the other way with messenger string.
Buy holler helper a cold 6 pack....
post #5 of 10 Old 07-23-2017

Unfortunately... They often lay the wires in place before they join the top deck to the main hull and essentially build the boat around the wires.

If they did that, you aren't pulling the wire.
Donna_F and RegisteredUser like this.
post #6 of 10 Old 07-23-2017 Thread Starter

TT:
On second read...I think you've probably got the easiest fix. I'll fish around with the wires, but what are the odds that pulling a new wire isn't going to waste what could otherwise be the very best sailing day of the year!

I'm gonna get me some of that shrinkie dink stuff and see if that works. Since I've bought a new bracket, I'm optimistic that the wire won't get pulled against the sharp hedge, but I'll look for a grommet too.

Thanks for the ideas. I'll write back later in the week after I've electrocuted myself and burned the boat to the waterline. ....wish me luck.

DMKEY
"Perfect Partner"
post #7 of 10 Old 07-24-2017
The most female moderator

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnin Turtle View Post
Unfortunately... They often lay the wires in place before they join the top deck to the main hull and essentially build the boat around the wires.

If they did that, you aren't pulling the wire.
That's exactly what they did on our C30. We love our C30 but the fact that our next boat uses conduit is a huge plus.

We ended up running our new wires in a way that makes sense to someone that cannot disconnect the deck from the hull.

Donna

Catalina 30 TRBS
Rock Hall, MD
KB3ZCB

If you're helping someone and expecting something in return, you're doing business not kindness.
post #8 of 10 Old 09-27-2017

post #9 of 10 Old 04-12-2019 Thread Starter

Update two years later....

So itís Spring and Iím thinking about my beloved Ď22 and wondered back here. Iíve just noticed that I never came back to tell you all how I made out. Well it turns out that Turnin Turtle takes the prize. There was indeed some wire in that pipe. I pulled out about 5 inches of wire complex with the outside cover on it. I installed a new light from a certain mail order house and mounted it to the rail. Job done. Thanks everyone.

DMKEY
"Perfect Partner"
post #10 of 10 Old 04-12-2019

Pull a small line through from the pushpit to the panel. Tie a knot outside the rail when the string reaches the switch. Now tie another line to the end of the line AT the switch and pull the original line and the one tied to it. When the second knot tying the two lines together comes out of the railing... Pull it a few feet more... this will become your pull/snake/messenger. Cut the line at the knot and measure the first line. That is the length of the wire run. Pull wire thru with the messenger... but make sure it is several feet longer that the "measured" line.

Good luck!
CVAT likes this.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it

Last edited by SanderO; 04-13-2019 at 09:55 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in