SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   C22 (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/c22/)
-   -   Sails for light winds (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/c22/329172-sails-light-winds.html)

SailingUphill 04-17-2019 08:24 AM

Re: Sails for light winds

For those who are interested, putting anything bigger than a 155 will incur a significant penalty in PHRF racing. He'd be much better served with a light air 155 (light material). As 155 is the max size allowed under the standard rating.

As others have stated a code zero technically qualifies as a spinnaker (which means its legal use without penalty under PHRF) which is why they exist at all, because for practical purposes a code zero is less "useful" as a sail for regular use (given the tight wind angle/range they are good for) a drifter or an oversized genoa would make more sense.

From an PHRF racing standpoint, and ironically because there are so many of them made, the Cat 22 is a kind of one-design boat with very strict rules from the class association. It'd behoove one to check with the association to see what people have found to work (which I'd wager is a light material 155 for upwind light air work). Downwind, its no contest. Spinnaker, and get that swinger up.

A Catalina 22 can be quite competitive in PHRF with the right skipper, and some attention to drag.

fallard 04-17-2019 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SailingUphill (Post 2051596478)
For those who are interested, putting anything bigger than a 155 will incur a significant penalty in PHRF racing. He'd be much better served with a light air 155 (light material). As 155 is the max size allowed under the standard rating.

As others have stated a code zero technically qualifies as a spinnaker (which means its legal use without penalty under PHRF) which is why they exist at all, because for practical purposes a code zero is less "useful" as a sail for regular use (given the tight wind angle/range they are good for) a drifter or an oversized genoa would make more sense.

From an PHRF racing standpoint, and ironically because there are so many of them made, the Cat 22 is a kind of one-design boat with very strict rules from the class association. It'd behoove one to check with the association to see what people have found to work (which I'd wager is a light material 155 for upwind light air work). Downwind, its no contest. Spinnaker, and get that swinger up.

A Catalina 22 can be quite competitive in PHRF with the right skipper, and some attention to drag.

Having a spinnaker variant (symmetrical, code zero, gennaker, etc.) does not change your PHRF rating unless you use it in a race. In by case, we have 2 PHRF ratings: one for spinnaker and one for non-spinnaker. When we raced (many years ago) is was just 2 of us and racing with a spinnaker with a short crew was not realistic, so we only used the gennaker when cruising under light air conditions and particularly on long legs on a reach.

That minimized use of the “iron genny” and made for a more relaxing sail. Since we were not racing, we didn’t push the limits of the light nylon sail, so it remains in virtually new shape after a few decades.

jeremiahblatz3 04-17-2019 11:44 AM

It does seem odd to me to buy a code 0 for a boat that's designed for big overlapping genoas. They make a lot of sense to me with the more current fashionable big main, little jib sailplan, where a code 0 will give you a lot of extra sail area. Seems like a light 150 would be a better choice.

SailingUphill 04-17-2019 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fallard (Post 2051596490)
Having a spinnaker variant (symmetrical, code zero, gennaker, etc.) does not change your PHRF rating unless you use it in a race. In by case, we have 2 PHRF ratings: one for spinnaker and one for non-spinnaker. When we raced (many years ago) is was just 2 of us and racing with a spinnaker with a short crew was not realistic, so we only used the gennaker when cruising under light air conditions and particularly on long legs on a reach.

That minimized use of the “iron genny” and made for a more relaxing sail. Since we were not racing, we didn’t push the limits of the light nylon sail, so it remains in virtually new shape after a few decades.

I am well aware that a code zero does not change your rating.

Hence why I stated "As others have stated a code zero technically qualifies as a spinnaker..." as long as you are racing "spinnaker" class. I also added that a Code 0 wouldn't exist if it wasn't allowed under PHRF and certain class rules, because as a sail its pretty limited in its usability, but as a not penalty "cheater" sail it has a use.

Wanna do well in drifters? gut your boat.

hellosailor 04-18-2019 11:05 PM

Something to discuss with your sailmaker--and a good one will discuss it with you first--is just how close to the PHRF or OD class limits you want to make any foresail.

A brand new typical Dacron jib or genoa is going to stretch just a wee bit, maybe 3%. Maybe more for light cloth, maybe less for triradials. And if you're racing someone who protests your sail and asks for it to be measured, ah, ooops, the 150 you know you ordered may be a 152 after a couple of windy months--and you are DSQ'd.

Probably never happen to you, just be aware that it can happen, and you may want to have foresails undercut just a tad to compensate for it.

blt2ski 04-19-2019 12:18 AM

I have a 3 oz nylon 135 drifter, with 3/16" sheets I use in winds under 5-8, ie colder vs warmer temps can vary where my sail is maxed out. This is a 30' boat. big issue is pointing, as the clew comes in at fattest part of boat, so not a great upwind sail vs my 110 or 155 which can allow me to point pretty tall. I have used the 155 upwind, and the drifter down, when the 155 is a bit heavy in NFS race sailing.
Yes more than one way to skin a cat, I did probably the better of them.

marty